Sedentary indoor cold wear

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
seanconn256

Re: Sedentary indoor cold wear

Post by seanconn256 »

@jacob thanks for that advice, I used it to temporarily use an analog thermometer that was 130F off (!), before getting a new one.

Another note is that some parts of my apartment are much colder than others. For example, my desk is right by the window, which is considerably colder than other parts of that same room. This was surprising because I had already covered the window in plastic sheets to stop air leaks.

Planning to be sedentary in warmer, likely more interior parts of a living space may be a good idea. Surely, this is obvious to some, but maybe not to those are used to central heating like myself. Also, being in an apartment, I am presumably surrounded by other apartments heated to 68F+, so locating the main sedentary areas around a warm wall may also help.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

I picked up one of those heated jackets/gillets with the flexible heating elements built into the lining of the garment powered by a USB cable. Mine consumes up to 11w while switched on. You could plug it directly into a phone charger with a long cable, or as I do, carry a battery bank in an internal pocket. I have a couple of 20,000mAh battery banks, which keep me warm 8-10 hours each on low heat mode (plenty warm).The major downside of a battery is the weight and bulk on your hip which can make bending over to tie laces etc uncomfortable, but there is no danger of forgetting about and damaging your sockets or cabling. A competant tailor could modify the pocket location to ameliorate this. It keeps me pretty comfortable in 14C/57F indoor temperatures, I haven't had to go cooler because DW will not tolerate me turning the thermostat lower (yet :lol:). If you wear a draught proof layer over the top (advisable) you can trap warmth in more effectively. My main issue is at around 14C my feet are starting to feel the chill if stationary for long periods, wiggling and fidgetting delays this. This is a major issue only in back to back zoom calls, where I can't practically get up to do exercises to boost circulation. I have had to put a little black tape over the bright forward facing LED, because it was drawing unwanted attention during zoom calls, but given the energy crisis in europe and the enviromental slant of my organisation most seem pretty interested in learning more about it rather than raising eyebrows. I've noticed a strong uptick of people wearing wolly hats in meetings so the paradigm is shifting now.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

I think I have to call the no-heating-in-the-Scottish-winter experiment a success. We used an electric heater a couple of times but only because we had a condensation problem / emergency that was eventually solved with getting a dehumidifier + airing the flat and a bunch of tips and tricks from the forumites.

I loved that moment when I was picking up my skiing trousers from my parents' last year. My nephew who was then 8.5yo had asked if I was going skiing to which I answered that I am going to wear them in my house so I keep warm. I think he is still pre - brainwashed because I didn't get a frown, he looked like he was thinking about / making sense of my answer.

chenda

Post by chenda »

guitarplayer wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:46 pm
I think I have to call the no-heating-in-the-Scottish-winter experiment a success.
How did you dry clothes and things ? The problem I found was that stuff took ages to dry without the heating on and didn't feel fresh. So I switched on the living room radiator at night when it's cheaper and left things to dry in there.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Yeah initially clothes would take ages to dry, like three days. Dehumidifier makes them dry in 24-48h, depending how much laundry and how long you use the dehumidifier for. For the clothes to be fresh, we hang them up over two rails so they are spread out.

I also use cheap electricity rate, so set the laundry overnight to be ready in the morning, then hang it up in the morning possibly next to an open window and run dehumidifier the following night or two.

Definitely humidity is something to be mindful of when playing with no heating over winter in this climate zone. DW and I are now borderline paranoid but also poking fun at each other about it. We have 5 humidity readers set across the one bedroom flat.

chenda

Post by chenda »

@guiterplayer - Dehumidifier is a good idea. Mould started to build up under the window where I dry stuff. Towels and bathmats take ages to dry even with the heater on.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

DW is getting ready for the next winter season. Looked up Mascot but there is very few opportunities to get them second hand. What are folks' experiences with ex-military clothes, e.g. long johns, thermal trousers, thermal jacket?

I am tempted to look into it as well although it is probably unnecessary as I have been happy with my skiing trousers and for particularly cold days, skiing jacket.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Military surplus is da bomb. However, it also creates "a certain look" that is currently questionable/socially conflictable given the ongoing culture wars.

chenda

Post by chenda »

It's amazing how much quicker things dry in the summer than winter. Takes hours rather than days, even for heavy stuff like towels.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

@jacob I said it to DW and she repiled 'well it is an INDOOR cold wear'.

In the run-up to Mathematical Statistics exam I stitched my skiing trousers as find it meditative and it needed done anyway. I am good with trousers but still wonder if could use a bit leaner jacket as the skiing jacket is a bit thick. DW needs trousers most, then an upper layer as well likely.

@chenda I know, makes me wonder if putting up with the UK weather is only because we don't know any better / have forgotten those times in other climates. But no, UK is great for many reasons actually.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

+1 military surplus, especially for 100% wool trousers which I really like for the winter and haven't found anywhere else. I also picked up a heavy wool sweater in a London milsurplus shop last year which actually looks somewhat sharp. You can find pieces that don't scream military and won't spook the neighbors/Society.

chenda

Post by chenda »

@guiterplayer yes we're climately fortunate in many ways, especially hearing the news from Canada this morning.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

This winter we have one set of military surplus underwear (long sleeve and long john leggins) each. Also, it was our woolen wedding anniversary so got ourselves woolen socks and warm (non woolen) pyjamas for a voucher DW'd won for her photographs. Also, we bought a flat with a new gas boiler so are using some (little) heating for many reasons, amongst them that it is cheap(er than electricity powered) and hassle free. There is a wi-fi thermostat and we set it currently at 57.2 F (14 C). The boiler barely ever switches on (mostly on those rare days when it is below 0 C / 32 F outside), but it stabilizes the ambient in those instances. We also got a refurbished dehumidifier in a black Friday deal.

white belt

Post by white belt »

I’m looking for recommendations for sedentary indoor cold wear for women. Although in theory Refeigiwear coveralls should be unisex, in practice they were not at all and we had to return DW’s pair because the proportions were all wonky. Refrigiwear makes women-specific overalls, our unfortunately no coveralls.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@wb - If I had to do it again, I'd get the pants+jacket rather than the coverall. They do make the coolerwear level of pants+jacket for women. DW has an older version of that.