Exercise/Fitness Log

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
mountainFrugal

Re: Exercise/Fitness Log

Post by mountainFrugal »

Interesting! I do not use weight vests per say when running (running vest - 3-9 lbs water/food/layers) - is there a good DIY equivalent of the 20 lb weighted vest for these types of workouts? It seems like weight distribution (like a weighted vest) will help compared to just a 20 lb pack. Also, do you do the exercises mixed or sequentially?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@mF - I dunno about DIY, but as a former owner of a weight west, a plate carrier may be comparable. A pack is not comparable except for weights that are well below 20lbs (otherwise too bouncy).

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

The bounciness is also a limiting weight factor for fast-packing style packs so I was curious if this other application had figured something out. I will put some alerts on craigslist for weight vests and plate carriers. @jacob did you get rid of your weight vest because you have your ruck pack that serves a similar enough purpose?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

You could do it with a backpack, but I think it would be a lot more difficult. I have and use this. I'd recommend that or a plate carrier. It still bounces a tiny bit and if you fasten it too tight it makes it harder to breathe on the runs. I'm not sure of a DIY option. My daughter is 20 lbs and we have a front carrier. But I'm not sure how she'd like the pushup section haha.
mountainFrugal wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:46 pm
Also, do you do the exercises mixed or sequentially?
I mix them. I think you can do them however you want. I break it up into 20 sets of 5 pull ups, 10 push ups and 15 squats.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

A weight vest or plate carrier seems like something I could get used so I have patience in that regard. I suppose it is also something someone might be willing to loan me for an attempt at 39:02. ;). In the mean time I can practice with my running vest with all the water bottles filled etc. (under 10 lbs).

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

mountainFrugal wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:59 pm
@jacob did you get rid of your weight vest because you have your ruck pack that serves a similar enough purpose?
No, I sold it years before that. I had a 40lbs xVest I originally bought it for crossfit purposes but found myself rarely using it above 5-10lbs (inline hockey and running) except for weighted pull-ups. Now that I dialed in on Insanity-style workouts as optimal for my morphology and having maxed out (no breaks) 80% of them, I'm wondering whether using a vest again might up the game a bit. In that case, I'd get the vest over the plate carrier. Plate carriers have the advantage of being cheap. Rucks the advantage of being generally useful for other things.

PS: Also, a vest makes it look like you're carrying ballistic armor. Not the best look in public these days.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

jacob wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:07 am
PS: Also, a vest makes it look like you're carrying ballistic armor. Not the best look in public these days.
They're a pretty common and well recognized piece of exercise equipment now. My mom wears one on her walks in suburban Chicago and I have seen others there using them as well. Same for friends in Austin and plenty up here, to note other examples. I wouldn't walk around with one on the south side of Chicago, but I think most places they will be seen as a weight vest. Maybe not, if you try to hide it.

Ego

Post by Ego »

A few months ago I found an old Rogue 40lb vest that has some AOR1 camo on it and I wear it to roll out the trash cans. I wear it on top of street clothing and I feel like I get nervous looks every once in a while. Maybe if it was plain black and I was wearing it on top of workout clothing while huffing with effort, it would be different. I have yet to use it for pullups or pushup. It makes squats unfun.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

My friend in town has a weight vest I can use (indefinitely). :).

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

Ego wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:17 am
I have yet to use it for pullups or pushup. It makes squats unfun.
+40lb pullups are no joke. I used to do these with a climbing harness and sling threaded through plates on an 8 foot bar with a step ladder, but a weight vest sounds much nicer. I think I topped out around ~+25% bodyweight (45lbs) for 5x5-7 back when i had sets of 5 muscle ups, and it would make me sore for days.

Ego

Post by Ego »

@Slevin, After two sets of squats with the vest I run like a duck for a week. I can't imagine pullups.

Henry

Post by Henry »

VinceJ wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 6:35 am
Good stuff! If you don't like pilates - try something else, there are a huge variety out there. Just being active and doing some general fitness should be really good either way :D For example my shtick is running - everyday+some social runs+some running events(don't ask me how much I'm dropping on mens running footwear early :D )
May Average Daily Steps: 8,712 = approx. 4 miles

Did Pilates last night for first time this month.

My gear outlay has been pretty nominal.

I like the solitary experience of walking when my wife is not available. Biking in this area is very social but I am not doing that for a variety of reasons.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Henry wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:41 am
I like the solitary experience of walking when my wife is not available.
Have you tried rucking? Adding a little weight to the walk makes for an interesting experience. The weight tunes you in to skeletal alignment, how your foot hits the ground, the stretch of your hip flexor as you step, etc. It adds a meditative quality.

Henry

Post by Henry »

Great idea. I'm doing that. Thank you. It says to start with 10-25 pounds.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Henry wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:19 am
Thank you. It says to start with 10-25 pounds.
Spine alignment works better if you use a plate (or a barbell). If you just put a dumbbell (or two) in your pack, there's a tendency to lean way forward to get the center of gravity back over your legs.

Henry

Post by Henry »

That makes sense. I was looking at NIKE plates. I was also worried about joints especially at my age.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Henry wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:08 am
That makes sense. I was looking at NIKE plates. I was also worried about joints especially at my age.
Same. Mine is not so much a joint problem as a tendon(itis) problem. Start very low (1-2 miles) and only add 10% distance per week even if it feels like you could do more. I, of course, don't follow my own advice and suffer accordingly.

Dave

Post by Dave »

I've been rucking for the last 6 weeks. I walk a 3 mile loop about 3 times per week. Started at 25lb, up to 50lb now. It's some good solidarity with the pregnant wife, although now I can tease her that I am carrying way more excess weight than her ;).

The biggest pain point is my shoulders and traps. I use their adaption to determine when I add another 5lb. Short-term goal is completing the loop with 60lb, which should be doable in 3-6 weeks. I may keep going and see if I can work up to 100lb, but it'll be a gradual process.

Highly recommend rucking for walking lovers who want to dial up the intensity without having to break into a full jog. Relative to jogging, I like how it's more of a hybrid of strength and cardio rather than just more intense cardio.
jacob wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:15 am
...I, of course, don't follow my own advice and suffer accordingly.
Just can't help ourselves, can we :lol:. I've done it several times over the years with strength training...even though I know from the literature and personal experience I cannot take every set to utter failure, I inevitably find myself doing so and having my joints flare up after some time. Trying to break the habit... "this time will be different" haha. Masochism.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Dave wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:45 pm
The biggest pain point is my shoulders and traps.
I've been told when you see guys rucking extremely heavy weights, they are using packs that brace more of the load on the hips.

I'm using a weight vest and share your experience with the upper body. That's kept my load around 30lbs, even though the vest can load up to 60. I like an even split, front to back. I think it's great posturally.

The trade is my muscles tire before I get a decent heart rate going. But I have better options there anyways.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Yes, you should use a hipbelt if you are carrying a lot of weight in a pack. Weight vests are often unpadded at the shoulders which can lead to some uncomfortableness and the weight is hanging down off your shoulders. I would suggest that anything over 20 lbs or so should be done in a pack, it'll be a lot more comfortable and you will be able to carry A LOT more without any upper body pain/muscle fatigue.