Distilling the forum

Questions and comments
rref

Re: Distilling the forum

Post by rref »

I asked it what you meant by 'abiotic' in the book, since this came up in a forum thread recently, and its answer aligned with what you posted. ChatGPT-4 is beyond Reddit-idiots at this point. Of course it is GIGO, but this goes for any tool.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I've only seen the chatGPT-3 output and I was not impressed with that when it came to more specialized topics. Indeed, there was a bit too much GIGO courtesy of the random personal finance blog ("Congratulations on taking responsibility for your money. Many recommend that ... ").

I'm not ideologically opposed to having an AI serve as a proxy. In fact it would be a relief in that I would no longer have to answer the same questions over and over. I do worry about the potential for misinformation (too much GI) or deliberate disinformation, like the AI equivalent of a google bomb.

J_

Post by J_ »

jacob wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 11:20 am
I prefer to distinguish between information, knowledge, and wisdom.

Information is the words that are spread out over 260,000 posts on the forum.
Knowledge is how these words are structured into ideas as people read through the words and think about them. (part of the process)
Wisdom comes only from personally applying the knowledge generated above and developing the experience to differentiate between what knowledge is more important and what knowledge is less important.

FWIW, I don't think "information" is actually worth that much. As far as most humans are concerned, the value of the world's libraries is about the heat or entertainment that burning the paper provides. Knowledge is somewhat better but knowledge only has value insofar enough people care about it. As far as I'm concerned, the real value is wisdom. I think the lessons of what's important and what's not is what should be preserved. However, this is likely to be a consequence of my "been there, done that" perspective. Also, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Abides
So very true, but how to filter out the wisdom?
It are the life lessons which are worth to condense out of the forum posts.
Perhaps it helps first to single out say maximum ten topics.

Any ideas for ten main 10 topics life lessons?
Any ideas for the way how to screen the posts?

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Finger crossed for the project. You can check my post history as I bumped a lot good topic from the past.