Monetizing interest in extreme personal finance

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
loutfard

Re: Monetizing interest in extreme personal finance

Post by loutfard »

xmj wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 4:00 am
So where's the problem?
There's none. Some in MMM's audience will see this as the pope switching religions, but keeping the benefits of papacy. Others will say bye, wish him well and see this as an invitation to look elsewhere. I'm in that last category.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

Wait, MMM is now MMM 2.0? Because he got bored with 1.0? And there are people on the boards over there complaining and wanting to to go back to 1.0?

Well that's my hilarity for the day. We had our existential crisis first, nyah nyah nyah. Do they have all sorts of threads about homoerotically decentralizing the post-consumerist praxis too? Did he backronym MMM into something cringey?

xmj

Post by xmj »

Imho this is less "pope switching religions" and more "pope making the church adapt to societal changes through Second Vatican Council"

And from what I've seen this is more of an adequate reaction to changing life circumstances than anything else. Having money and understanding how to use it does take some time and if your message changes in the process, that's just par for the course.

UrbanHomesteader

Post by UrbanHomesteader »

I used to recommend MMM to middle income folks as a way to optimize their circumstances. Now, I'm not sure which blogs to recommend that are fresh and really relevant for middle income folks, any suggestions?

not sure

Post by not sure »

This:
mathiverse wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 12:56 pm
EDIT: Yes. He's free to change how he pleases. He doesn't owe his audience anything.
May the internet let the guy live as he wishes. He does not let his fame be his golden handcuffs

GardenDee

Post by GardenDee »

theanimal wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 3:03 pm

As a counter example, ERE HQ is still spending $7k/person and eating lentils :geek: . IIRC you (Jacob) mentioned to me that you wouldn't pursue a pilot's license because you couldn't justify just flying around for fun. Despite the fact that you have a great interest in flying and the ability to pay for it many, many times over. I respect the hell out of that and I think many others do as well. When you say that you value certain things, you actually mean it.
This is exactly my point! Jacob, you stepped back from your blog, but you still seem to have stuck to your principles. This further supports your writing and your way of life as an achievable and, perhaps more importantly, a sustainable option that many of us can choose to replicate.
You were a little more restrained in your explanation of how to accomplish FIRE, more scientific and less "Hollywood". You continue to walk the walk and I'm sure I'm not alone in my respect for you and for this forum.

chenda

Post by chenda »

theanimal wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 3:03 pm
IIRC you (Jacob) mentioned to me that you wouldn't pursue a pilot's license because you couldn't justify just flying around for fun. Despite the fact that you have a great interest in flying and the ability to pay for it many, many times over.
@Jacob if of interest I saw one of these today:

https://www.pipistrel-aircraft.com/prod ... s-electro/

Although you only have 50 mins on a full charge so your not going to be going too far.