People who are already retired: why do you something, instead of nothing?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Frita

Re: People who are already retired: why do you something, instead of nothing?

Post by Frita »

@ertyu
The guy at LivinganFI actually returned to work but not to routinely posting about his experiences.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Frita wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 8:30 am
The guy at LivinganFI actually returned to work but not to routinely posting about his experiences.
Yeah, wasn't there a long post about "the RE part is just not working for me" ... or am I confusing him with someone else who wrote a 10,000 word missive about not finding meaning in going through lists of "Watching the 100 best movies ever made" and such things? It came up a few years ago (pre-covid IIRC).

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

jacob wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 8:34 am
Yeah, wasn't there a long post about "the RE part is just not working for me" ... or am I confusing him with someone else who wrote a 10,000 word missive about not finding meaning in going through lists of "Watching the 100 best movies ever made" and such things? It came up a few years ago (pre-covid IIRC).
I had the same thought. I'm like 70% sure that it's the same guy who quit his devops job, retired early, then got bored and depressed, got a new girlfriend, had a new reason (her) to make more money, and went back to the grind. There are too many posts on this blog to confirm that though.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Yes, it's him, but the way the story stayed with me is a bit different: the FIRE budget was for him + his wife, but his wife divorced him bc she didn't feel they were "getting anywhere in life." With her portion of the money gone and with how he got diagnosed with Ehlers-Dalnos, the money wasn't working out. New gf made him happier (needing a gf to be happy imo is a separate thing to FIRE not working out*), but new gf wasn't FIRE so couldn't bring an equivalent money to the pot as ex wife. Plus dude has medical expenses now.

*he got miserable and bored with fire when wife left him and he was moping

On the whole, I hear him. I went back to work, too. I don't think the fact that he did invalidates what he said in this post.

I would be interested in hearing about how his life is going. I do hope he writes an update even if it is something about whether and how his perspective on work has changed. Maybe he's decided to give up on FIRE; his posts are always well-written and thought provoking so that, too, would be interesting to read.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

ertyu wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 8:04 am
Rec coupled with Jenny Odell's Saving Time.
@Scott 2, you said the people you respect embrace the grind -- In my opinion, however, there's a lot more to respect in a guy that dares to put the grind away and take an honest look at himself
I'm listening to Odell's book now. She nails my personal experience when talking about Taylorism and how it's influenced our approach to time. I want to make a thread about it, once I've finished the book.

It's not that I respect an embrace of the grind. It's that when I look into the people who've done something I admire or respect, inevitably there's a grind backing it up. Given western culture - maybe that's self fulfilling. Anyone climbing to the point of visibility, has to out compete.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Scott 2 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 9:47 am
It's not that I respect an embrace of the grind. It's that when I look into the people who've done something I admire or respect, inevitably there's a grind backing it up.
Makes sense. I'm about halfway through the book, discussing it would be awesome when you're done. This was a great rec by @CalamityJane

liberty

Post by liberty »

jacob wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:03 am
It's like asking people who are already FI why they keep working?
Either they like what they're doing or they don't have the imagination/resources/connections to do anything else.
Or they wanna contribute to society, because of moral, and because it gives them a good feeling. Some might also just want to increase their financial independence, being able to live on $3000 per month instead of $2000, which makes a (slightly) happier life.

white belt

Post by white belt »

We had a lengthy discussion about Living a Fi here : viewtopic.php?t=11901

WFJ

Post by WFJ »

I speculate that some of the FIRE "personalities" desire some kind of ego boost from bragging about how they don't have to work and other's do, but in my experience of sharing FIRE with piers, nobody cares and there is no ego boost. In order to get the dopamine for their egos, they must return to TPS reporting and strive for "Employee of the Month" and lack the ability to define their own path or the desire for external reward and recognition is too strong to overcome.

Below are some quotes that might reveal some of the thoughts of FIRE-fails.

The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.

Lord, grant that I may always desire more than I can accomplish.

If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all.

There is no greater harm than that of time wasted.

Michelangelo

Beware the barrenness of a busy life.

Socrates