US Apartment sizes are shrinking

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
zbigi

Re: US Apartment sizes are shrinking

Post by zbigi »

Solvent wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:19 am

Isn't storage built into the walls far more space efficient and convenient?
I'm not familiar with storage in walls, as it's not used at all used in my country (Poland). So, my question is - doesn't it make the planning of overall apartment/house more difficult? With in-wall storage, the rooms suddenly have these weird, puzzle-like shapes, which need to match to a puzzle on the other side of the wall. Developers around here are already performing acrobatics when doing floor plans in apartment buildings [1] and none of them has considered an in-wall storage, which makes me think it's perhaps not cost efficient in the end?

[1] Trying to maximize square footage per appt while maintaining minimum daily sunlight requirements, which leads to long, narrow rooms with a single window on the narrow wall, and also to oversized, maze-y halls etc.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Maybe because American houses are significantly larger there's more space to put inbuilt storage without eating up valuable furniture space ?

@zbigi - Is light minima a regulatory requirement in Poland ? I remember a skyscraper in Warsaw which had a big chuck 'cut out' of it to allow light to a neighbouring building.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

That is why I like apartments that have some wall storage.
This way people who own little stuff have enough and don't need to add free standing furniture, while hoarders can add it if they like.

Here in Southern Florida we have a couple walk in closets and they are more than enough for all our stuff, so we just had to buy a couple small Ikea things to put on the side of the bed and we're golden.

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

chenda wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:23 pm

@zbigi - Is light minima a regulatory requirement in Poland ? I remember a skyscraper in Warsaw which had a big chuck 'cut out' of it to allow light to a neighbouring building.
Yes, it is. There's a law saying every room's floor (doesn't have to be entire floor) has to receive at least X hours of direct sunlight per day. This leads to urban designs like e.g. this apartment block near me:

As you can see, the buildings look kind-of randomly scattered across the plot, which I suspect was done to maximize the light received. I wonder if they're using some optimization algorithms to find the best layout.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Solvent wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:19 am
[...] I guess, on reflection, if you don't need the storage then yes it is totally wasted space.
I've considered turning my 3'x4' in-wall storage closet into a simpit. I could [maybe] fit an F16 in there.

chenda

Post by chenda »

@zbigi - Interesting it's a good idea I think. There's certainly software now which can track sun patterns, heat received, overshadowing etc

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

chenda wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:23 pm
Maybe because American houses are significantly larger there's more space to put inbuilt storage without eating up valuable furniture space ?
This was actually a major factor in the increase in apartment sizes in the US over the last 50-60 years. There was an increasing demand for more amenities that required additional space. Utility closets for in-unit washer and dryers, closets in the bedrooms, dishwashers, etc...The shift to micro units is eliminating some of that stuff, but also just utilizing better design.

I currently live in an apartment building that is over 100 years old. The craftsmanship is quite impressive and it is clearly better designed than apartments that were put up over the last fifty years. I have a built-in bookshelf in the living room, but it actually saves space because it shares a wall with a large pantry/cupboard in the kitchen. All of the built-in storage is designed to hide plumbing or to maximize livable space.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

zbigi wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:04 pm
As you can see, the buildings look kind-of randomly scattered across the plot, which I suspect was done to maximize the light received. I wonder if they're using some optimization algorithms to find the best layout.
This is interesting - thanks for sharing!

Vancouver, BC has some of the most intricate urban design standards I've seen. The city protects and considers 27 different viewsheds when permitting new development downtown. It ensures that new development doesn't block mountain or ocean vistas, thus minimizing property value and aesthetics for existing residents. It results in some interesting configurations.

Most people love the aesthetic of the city, but don't realize how much thought went into the design. It's quite spectacular to be walking down a variety of streets with stunning, unobstructed views.

Henry

Post by Henry »

Slevin wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:31 am

@louftard
How about we don’t fat shame anybody here as a matter of principle, because it’s entirely unhelpful and rude?
I wouldn't go so far to say your cat is fat, but that doesn't mean it couldn't stand to lose a few pounds.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Nothing wrong with a curvy cat. But I'm glad your still with us Henry, I was concerned you'd been involved with a fox hunting accident or something.