Urbanhomesteader's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
calamityjane

Re: Urbanhomesteader's Journal

Post by calamityjane »

I've been doing a lot of DoYogaWithMe classes online since the pandemic began. It's not quite as good as in-person for that sense of accountability and community, but it sure is convenient (and cheap, i.e. free)! And yeah, the dogs might be laughing, but no one else is watching. :lol:

UrbanHomesteader

Post by UrbanHomesteader »

@calamityjane, I'll check out DoYogaWithMe, it's nice to spice it up occasionally. I like doing yoga at home more than in person these days, it's so much more convenient and I don't feel embarrassed if I have to modify a pose. Going to in person classes is a great way to get started and learn to do the poses safely though. When I did go to in person classes, I did appreciate the community aspect and it helped me do longer sessions (50 minutes instead of 20-30).

In other news, I had my first nightmare about the old career. Basically, my duties were highly affected by the tax deadlines (although I wasn't an accountant). I dreamt that it was the end of January and I hadn't even started the work I have to do for tax season. I was thinking I should probably just quit my job, but maybe try to get a bit of the work done first so I didn't ruin the reference or leave my team in the lurch. It was a huge relief to wake up and remember that I quit the job a while ago and was not actually responsible for any of this tax season's work. It's funny it took me almost a year to have a career related nightmare!

The metalwork project has been going well. We are at a stage with the project where we have finished a few of the pieces and now we just need to repeat the steps enough times to get them all done. Off we go. I like being the flow state of a project.

We've been eating pretty well too. I made large pot of green chili sauce last night, and we had some nice smothered bean burritos. a couple days ago we slow cooked some goat (we helped a friend butcher it on their ranch), which turned into tacos one night, then goat curry another night. I also made Okonamiyaki a couple days for breakfast, which was delicious. We like cooking and the leftovers are awesome!

UrbanHomesteader

I was recently reading the decentralizing FI thread, and I noticed a comment from Ego about the risk of stagnating post FI. This made me think about my own risk (or lack of) for the same. My gut reaction is that my life is too complicated to allow for stagnation. The life complexity begs for personal development and continued effort.

Complexity examples; we have a partially fixed up house with a complex garden/orchard started by previous owners, DH is a career fine artist (lots of complexity there regarding professional relationships with galleries, marketing, web development, online presence, hosting art collectors in our home, making frames, etc., all of which I have been involved in). I am also involved in multiple non-profits that have their own complexities.

I think a lot of us have full lives that we try to jam a traditional job into, and the job isn't actually at all necessary to keep one's life full.

I read some "voluntary simplicity" materials a long time ago, and I remember thinking that a lot of becoming less of a consumer actually involves adding complexity to the system of one's life. For example, growing one's own food adds complexity. The complexity can be enriching and self-actualizing, keeping one active and engaged.

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

Nice post! That reminded me of this quote I saw recently about the fact when you choose to stop progressing in activities by upgrading gear, you have to start progressing by getting better at using the gear and that generally involves building a more complex understanding of the activity the gear is used for.

The quote has been mangled by me, but one can check the link for the full quote, if interested. :)
jacob wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:33 pm
I can see how someone who equates changing their wardrobe or upgrading their toothbrush holder with personal growth would stagnate once their max out potential with BIFL...

Conversely, someone who isn't attached to their stuff in that way would not be similarly limited.

... you can grow as a tool-user. You just have to channel the effort into using tools better instead of working on replacing them with better tools or more fashionable ones.

PS: When I say tools, I mean everything from a couch, to underwear, to paintings on the wall.

UrbanHomesteader

@mathiverse, your response is right in alignment with my thinking. I have often said to myself, are you trying to be a "X" (insert backpacker, guitar player, gardener, or whatever) or are you trying to be a gearhead?

For backpacking as an example, there are plenty of examples of how it can be done with items found in most people's junk closet, or it can be done with $3,000 worth of gear from outfitters. To do it comfortably with what you have on hand, you need more skill and a better understanding of what it takes to be comfortable.

calamityjane

Post by calamityjane »

Have you read Duane Elgin's Voluntary Simplicity book? I'm re-reading and contemplating how much it resonates and overlaps with my 40-something approach as informed by FIRE concepts vs. my 20-something mindset. Interesting idea that simplicity actually adds complexity, in terms of a deeper relationship with meaningful activities. Maybe simplicity isn't even the right word, more like clearing the way for things that really matter to us as individuals.

UrbanHomesteader

@calamityjane, I think I did check out the Voluntary Simplicity book from the library a while back. I don't remember a lot of the details. I should see if it's available to check out now:). On another note, I've noticed you and I have a lot in common!

UrbanHomesteader

Story Time - On discovering ERE:

It was early in the year 2011, I was 27 years old and sitting in my cubicle at work. I was several years in to my first long term corporate job, and had been waffling between stressed out and bored to tears, depending on the fluctuating work load and office drama. I was grateful my desk had a window, even if it looked onto a brick wall. On this particular day in 2011, I was mulling over some retirement plan documents at work, contemplating that "Normal Retirement Age" definition in the documents, which was clearly age 65.

If I had stayed on the prescribed career path, it would have been a 42 years career for me. It seemed highly unlikely that spending the most prime 42 years of my lifespan in that cubicle, or a similar one, could be my best option. I had been looking for an alternative since the beginning. That day in 2011, I noticed that the retirement plan documents also mentioned an early retirement age of 55, still not good enough. So, as modern humans are wont to do, I googled "how to retire early", and got a bunch of info on retiring in one's 50s. Then, I googled "how to retire extremely early", and finally got a hit for the ERE book on Amazon.

Needless to say, I bought the book. I had a history of frugality, so it was mostly a matter of degree. One of the most powerful things was seeing that the $3,000 annual contribution my employer made to the profit sharing plan at work, on my behalf, meant around $10 a month of lifetime spend (based on the 4% rule). I reasoned to myself, if I had to live on that alone, it would be a life in woods, coming into town each month to by some flour and some cooking oil, and foraging the rest. Of course that wasn't the plan, but it was useful to think of adding these units of financial independence up, rather than think of the really big number I would need in order to cover my current lifestyle.

Similarly, I could see that for every $10 of monthly spend I could cut (i.e. 1 lunch out per month) I could reduce my FI number by $3,000. Within a year, there were virtually no more lunches out. And that was just the beginning!

UrbanHomesteader

I want to document the fact that yesterday I noticed that I really felt rested and with a good level of energy and engagement with the current home maintenance project. I felt like I was able to get into the flow of the job more than I was last year. We also were able to quit for the day with enough time to make a nice dinner.

Some factors that may have played into achieving this coveted state:
1. I have made an effort to get plenty of "deep chill" time along with adopting a relaxed pace at doing the essentials. Since I have had a lot of important work on my plate, the recharge of the battery has been somewhat incremental. I think the battery is starting to feel recharged.
2. When I first quit my full time corporate job, DH was really focused on the idea that we should be 100% on our mutual projects now, and so I actually had a harder time doing what I needed to do to relax and find my flow, given the pressure to participate in the teamwork. This factor doesn't seem to be as big a deal at the moment, for a couple of reasons. Some of it has been improvements in communication, some has been that after about a year DH is starting to want to shift focus. I'm good with that. I wouldn't call myself an introvert, but I definitely like a lot of solo time to think and work at my own pace.
3. My ode to spring...The spring whether here is in my ideal range for functioning outside and/or opening the windows. I have noticed that I perform at my peak and feel my best when the outside temperatures are between 50-85 degrees. I can of course mitigate non-ideal temperatures with varios techniques, but there is nothing like the feeling of being comfortably dressed in jeans, t-shirt and perhaps a light flannel or hoodie, and being able to move freely inside-outside in that same outfit.

Another thought I had yesterday is that I am so grateful to have this restful state, which I would have only previously experienced at the end of a long vacation. Except now, I don't have that dread of starting up at the office again on Monday.

calamityjane

Post by calamityjane »

I find myself perking up this time of the year in relation to the regrowth of things in my yard (I suppose that includes the weeds :lol:). The additional daylight helps as well. I think we're in the same neck of the woods, how do you fare with the wind? It's been kind of rough on me lately (tore up a section of my roof last week...I spent the day up on a ladder doing roof repair when I really would have rather been admiring my tulips. :)). I'm glad to hear your projects are going well.

UrbanHomesteader

@calamityjane, yes, the wind in my corner of New Mexico has been pretty strong lately. So, in addition to checking the temperatures I'm also checking anticipated windspeed when planning the day's activities. I'm sorry to hear about your roof, but it sounds like you got it under control!

Today I started the day by ordering a set of new O-ring seals for the fuel injectors on my 1999 Honda CRV. There is a small leak coming from one of them, which hopefully will be fixed with new seals. After watching a bunch of videos and reading in the CRV forums, I decided that while accessing the injectors, it would make sense to "bench test" and clean the injectors before putting it all back together. I read that it is possible to just send the injectors into a shop to have them bench tested and serviced, and I wanted to know if any of the local shops do that. It lead to a funny phone-tree type situation where four shops told me they don't service fuel injectors, but each shop gave me a different shop to call. Finally I found one super chill sounding mechanic who said he would be happy to test the 4 injectors for $40. He also talked with me a little bit about the situation and possible remedies. That sounds like a fair price, and I'm happy to get to know a chill mechanic in town.

I have seen instructions online for how to do a DIY bench test, so I might try that as well. I also order a basic code reader, since I've been going down the rabbit hole of vehicle maintenance and repair. That will be fun to play with. My check engine light has been on for years. The last time I took the car to a professional shop, they told me it likely needed some expensive repairs but it would drive fine without the repairs (thus the continuos check engine light situation). I can't remember for sure what repairs they suggested, so checking the codes and looking into the possible issue will be interesting. None of the parts for this car seem to be wildly expensive, so I think it will be worthwhile to replace them, especially if I can manage to get it done without paying for labor.

UrbanHomesteader

This week we decided to focus on projects that we already have the materials for. We go as far as we can until we run into something that we really need to buy to move forward, then we add that to the shopping list before moving on to the next project.

This has actually been great for a few reasons. It's a well recognized phenomenon in the DIY world that a person starts the day fired up about a project (especially when ingesting caffeine), maybe they get started on it, then they decide to go to the hardware store to pick up materials for the project. While they are out, they stop at the grocery store. By the time the get home, they are hungry for lunch. After lunch they feel like taking a nap. The project materials are placed in the garage where they stay until next spring.

So this week we used a lot of the projects materials we previously bought, clearing up some space and making progress on several projects. The also helps to slow the burn rate, which can be alarming with too many trips to the hardware store and too little actual doing.

This week's projects include some drywall and prepping walls for paint in our guest room and bathroom. We have the paint on hand when the walls are ready. We applied linseed oil to 90% of our fence before running out of oil. We limewashed the stucco on our house. I also have new Spark plugs to install in my car, so that's on the list, along with catching up on cleaning.

I've extended this strategy to the kitchen as well. Today I am making a plum pie with frozen plums from last year.

Yesterday I made goat curry with the last large chunk of goat we got from a work trade on our friends ranch last year. I'm not sure how to make the liver palatable but I don't want it to go to waste. Now we just have the goat livers left, anyone have a good liver recipe?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I tried very hard for a few years to get myself to like liver but ended up unsuccessful and giving up. One of the popular methods to improve taste is soaking it in milk for a few hours, draining the milk and then cooking it with onions. But that didn’t seem to work for me. Though interesting enough, our dogs, who generally will devour any pieces of meat or animal parts, will not touch liver. Maybe it really does just taste bad :lol: . If you figure out the secret to making it taste even halfway decent , please report back!

UrbanHomesteader

If the dogs wont eat it, then it may be a lost cause! I'll have to check YouTube.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

UrbanHomesteader wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:16 pm
Now we just have the goat livers left, anyone have a good liver recipe?
DW makes this for me a few times per year. I don't know if it tastes good with goat livers. She uses beef liver.

https://www.fabfood4all.co.uk/leverpost ... iver-pate/

Caveat: Possibly a "cultural food" as in you have to have grown up on it to like it. Serve on rye bread (if you can't find rye, then the less white the bread the better). Fried onions or pickled beets on top are optional. Our dog loved it.

UrbanHomesteader

@Jacob, thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try!

UrbanHomesteader

It's been a busy month! We hosted 2 rounds of house guests for a total of 17 days in the month of May. So, it's been a whirlwind of first trying to wrap up house projects that we were in the middle of, prior to guests arrival, then hosting guests & taking them on adventures around New Mexico, then jumping right back into house projects.

We have a short list of projects we want to wrap up within the next month, then the plan is for DH to go back to creating art for the summer. I will have the summer "off", at least in terms of joint projects/commitments.

I look forward to working independently on my own projects, both at home and in the Wilderness.

On a DIY note, it took 4 tries to get the fuel injector seal replacement project to work right. One of the houseguests is experienced with car repair and helped me do the project. It was difficult to get them to seat correctly, but I think it was worth doing it if only for the experience points (but it also saved me about $500 in auto-shop costs). I'm gradually getting more familiar with my vehicle, and I like that. I've never liked the feeling of being fully dependent on others for auto maintenance and repair.

Still haven't eaten the goat livers yet...

UrbanHomesteader

I saw Axelheist's post about ERE Fest. I would really like to go, but I'm debating whether it is prudent to do so, especially since I have another big trip planned shortly after. I looked into transportation options, it's a long but doable drive from New Mexico. It would probably take me a day and a half to get there and back. So, if I go for the three days by car it would be about 6 days away from home, and maybe $250 in gasoline. Unless I find someone from NM or AZ to carpool with.

UrbanHomesteader

I posted the following in Mooretrees' journal, and I thought I'd put it here for posterity. Reading other's journals really helps me solidify my own thoughts on this life.

It's a common experience to get amped up about ERE and/or FIRE and tighten the belt down as much as possible, to later realize that it was perhaps a bit too tight:) A lot of us have been there. I think Jacob went a year without buying books.

If I find that my spending feels like it's veering away from The Plan or from a perfect ERE ideal, I ask myself whether the spending is "mission critical" for me, and sometimes seemingly frivolous things are mission critical. The "mission" being to live well. We have had a number of mission critical meals out this year, because those meals allowed us to either focus on other things (i.e. D.I.Y.), or have an experience with friends or family that leave me feeling like I'm living a full life. Most meals are home though, and I like that too for many reasons.

On the other hand, a lot of impulses to buy more stuff or better gear have been avoiding, because I decided they were not mission critical. I could achieve the mission with other stuff I already owned.

calamityjane

Post by calamityjane »

I would really like to attend ERE fest, but I have some of the same hesitations about other travel this summer. If we do both decide to go, I love the idea of carpooling.