Ditigal detoxing

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
EricG

Ditigal detoxing

Post by EricG »

Over the past few years I've had some health issues and other things that induced me to simplify my life, and more recently quitting my job cause me take things a little further. Got rid of home internet, switched to a no data cell phone plan, got rid of the projector and computer speakers that made up my home theater, made my laptop and phone uber-simple removing every unnecessary detail possible and only keeping essential apps and files on them, deleted many of my online accounts.

One of the most remarkable things I've noticed is that I am reading a lot more than I used to. Way more; instead of reading one book every two or three weeks, I'm reading about two books every week. And when I use internet it's in a coffee house or library, so I end up talking with random people and finding books to read. I seem to get to bed and get up earlier, not having the internet to distract me into the wee hours. I end up getting out of the house more to do things, and as a result have developed a few new friendships with some really great people. I feel close to pre-smartphone, pre-chronic health issues focused at times.

What have others here done to get away from screens and the internet to help improve their overall wellbeing?

Jiimmy

Re: Ditigal detoxing

Post by Jiimmy »

For me, thru hiking is a wonderful way to reduce the screen time (to almost zero).

I quit social media a long time ago, that was easy. YouTube is tough for me to quit, and I’m not sure I want to. It’s mostly educational, and keeping up with space/astronomy news.

Cam

Post by Cam »

@Lemur can respond here with his experience with a digital detox too if he wants to. I just recently finished a detox after finishing Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport.

I'm only on Facebook and Youtube now. The facebook site is blocked, I just use Messenger to keep up with group chats.

I feel you on the reading. I've always read a lot, but now it is far more. And it isn't that I'm trying to be 'good' and reading instead of watching Netflix, but I'd actually rather read! I have a books out right now ranging from one called Ice (all about ice unsurprisingly) to one about forgotten Canadian Prime Ministers to one about value investing. I'm gonna go get my flux core welder set up tonight too.

It simply opens up so much time that was always there, but used to be used aimlessly scrolling/watching. At first it can be daunting to have all the unfilled time, but once I got my hobbies back up and running I was having way more fun and getting way more done.

All this combined with me starting to get comfortable with the getting things done system has really made me a lot more organized, productive, and relaxed simultaneously. So much free time to devote to my goals, and now with the organization to actually use that time effectively!

EricG

Post by EricG »

Cam wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:03 pm
@Lemur can respond here with his experience with a digital detox too if he wants to. I just recently finished a detox after finishing Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport.

I'm only on Facebook and Youtube now. The facebook site is blocked, I just use Messenger to keep up with group chats.

I feel you on the reading. I've always read a lot, but now it is far more. And it isn't that I'm trying to be 'good' and reading instead of watching Netflix, but I'd actually rather read! I have a books out right now ranging from one called Ice (all about ice unsurprisingly) to one about forgotten Canadian Prime Ministers to one about value investing. I'm gonna go get my flux core welder set up tonight too.

It simply opens up so much time that was always there, but used to be used aimlessly scrolling/watching. At first it can be daunting to have all the unfilled time, but once I got my hobbies back up and running I was having way more fun and getting way more done.

All this combined with me starting to get comfortable with the getting things done system has really made me a lot more organized, productive, and relaxed simultaneously. So much free time to devote to my goals, and now with the organization to actually use that time effectively!
Thanks for the reading recommendation, I am going to check it out from my library. I echo your sentiments. It used to be that I would have to be dutiful about reading, now I do it for enjoyment, with little desire to watch anything. And the time freed up by not being on the internet.

I also like Jiimmy's suggestion...moving to Wyoming soon and hoping to spend more time outdoors for extended periods.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

EricG wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:17 pm
What have others here done to get away from screens and the internet to help improve their overall wellbeing?
I did an inverted digital sabbath for a month: my rule was no screens except one day a week. It was lovely.

Our internet has been out or crippled since Feb 23, and it's inspired me to try a new thing: no internet at home. Doesn't sound that bad, except I live 25 miles from the library and don't have a car, so that would look like getting access to the internet once or twice a fortnight when I walk, bike, or catch the infrequent bus into town. I'm considering doing this for April.