My retirement scoreboard, Part II

Where are you and where are you going?
unemployable

Re: My retirement scoreboard, Part II

Post by unemployable »

unemployable wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:55 am
The internet thinks it's Credit Suisse.
Once in awhile, the internet gets it right.

Recessions, like bank runs, are self-fulfilling prophecies. And we are definitely at the point that enough people think we will have a recession that we will have a recession. Although we crossed that Rubicon a few months ago, not just now.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

—3.7% for March. SPX was +4.0. Oil can be a harsh mistress, but tomorrow looks like it'll be a good day. Commentary to come if I feel like it.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Maybe you should write a "Thank You" letter to OPEC?

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

classical_Liberal wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:01 pm
Maybe you should write a "Thank You" letter to OPEC?
Still waiting to hear back on the one I sent to Putin

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

My sublet moved out at the end of March, two months early. I returned to Colorado in mid-May.

Net worth is hovering right around the seven handle. I'm down some 12% from my all-time high in mid-February and up a percent or two YTD. My assets are mostly in oil companies, deep value and low-beta dividend payers, and this year's rally has been attributable mostly to five or six tech stocks. Great if you own lots of nvda/aapl/tsla. Okay if you own spy/vti. Horrible otherwise. That is not a weakness, that is life. I had a fantastic 2022 investment-wise. Maybe I'll get the scoreboard out and update it.

My new career of housesitting has repeatedly come up in other threads and this is the best place to update these efforts.

I had 18 housesits between when I left my summer home in October and when I returned in May, doublecounting one house I Grover Clevelanded. Since returning I have finished three sits here, will start a fourth sit nearby in a few days, and after that will travel to two sits, one in another part of Colorado and then one in Montana. Some of these summer sits were in the "so attractive I can't NOT apply for them" territory. My success rate (percentage of applied sits I'm invited to) keeps improving, and now I search for sits that have only cats (no dogs). Various observations follow, some personal, some others may find instructive:
  • It needs to be about the pets first and foremost, especially when starting out. If you are not a pet person, petsitting will never be for you. If it doesn't come across in the interview that you're very interested in their pets, you will probably not get the sit. If the pets are a pain the sit will be a pain. You have to fit your touristy activities around when the pets need to be cared for. I have sat two cats who pooped outside; in every other house you want to clean the litter box, and put the poop somewhere it won't stink the house up, at least daily.
  • You have to be flexible. If you focus on places where people are traveling from rather than to you will have more success. You will not find a lot of sits in South Florida in January, New Orleans during Mardi Gras, Vail in March or New York City anytime. But places such as North Carolina, metro Atlanta and Texas have tons of sits and quite mild winters. And those midsummer sits in Montana will come with enough experience and patience.
  • Also in the flexibility category: Travel plans get canceled. People's flights get delayed by a whole day. The weather's bad where you are and your car breaks down and you're stuck. Not being too committed to one house/location, having gaps between sits, not sweating the occasional hotel night are all empowering. Resiliency, as always, is your friend. This also includes not relying on one web site too much for your lifestyle, and in the longer term I do want to accommodate this concern.
  • I needed a lot less stuff than I packed for. My sartorial needs are little more than two changes of clothes and a couple extra layers. Anything else I can buy on demand. Most of the country has Walmart.
  • Some platforms offer house and pet sits as paid work. I'm apprehensive about going in this direction. Once you put a dollar sign in front of your passions they become more about the obligations than the benefits. The sites take a cut of your pay and then 1099 you, so now you've got to pay taxes and track expenses. The amount of money wouldn't move the needle for me from a standard of living or net worth perspective anyway; I'd get richer working at Burger King. I've gained new appreciation of nonmonetary economic transactions.
  • I am still fond of North Carolina and southern Appalachia. They've changed in 30 years and not always for the better, but if I had to move somewhere right now and pay retail for housing, they'd be on the shortlist.
  • But I am less inclined than ever to want to "live" anywhere fulltime.
  • I don't need a lot of space; I still come back to only using some 1000 square feet of a house no matter how big it is or how it's designed. A well-equipped kitchen and a relaxing living room with a big TV are nice, so is a hot tub or a whirlpool bath, maybe a patio to hang out on in warm weather, but beyond that? Nah. More space is just more places a missing cat can hide or pee in, as I have learned.
  • But I would prefer a standalone house to a condo. That's due to my experience with my semi-permanent residence as much as from housesitting. I rather enjoy some maintenance and housework and the greater opportunity to make a place my own. I'd be fine with a manufactured or modular house, as long as I own the land and it's well built.
  • Most interstates in the Eastern half of the country seem to need three lanes in each direction nowadays. Too busy, too many truck clots, too much stress. A few states are trying to keep up with this demand (NC, Texas). Most are not. I am usually not in a huge hurry and want to sightsee, so I am preferring divided highways that are not interstates nowadays. These typically now have 60-65 mph speed limits and you can usually do 10-15 over that.
I'm becoming... too successful at this. People whom I've sat for offer me future sits before listing them, they take me out to dinner when I'm back in town, their friends ask me for my business card. (For housesitting!) I have more money than I need for this lifestyle by a factor of two or three. I'm very close to giving up my virtual-rent-controlled apartment and doing this fulltime. I'll definitely do it another winter, probably changing my itinerary to spend more time in the Southwest or find a sit up in Chicago to see Mom. I've never trusted success, though. It's always been so fleeting.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

unemployable wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:07 am
I'm becoming... too successful at this. People whom I've sat for offer me future sits before listing them, they take me out to dinner when I'm back in town, their friends ask me for my business card. (For housesitting!)
@unemployable becoming gainfully employed by leveraging masterful unemployable skills is just the best. Love it!

white belt

Post by white belt »

unemployable wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:07 am
I'm becoming... too successful at this. People whom I've sat for offer me future sits before listing them, they take me out to dinner when I'm back in town, their friends ask me for my business card. (For housesitting!) I have more money than I need for this lifestyle by a factor of two or three. I'm very close to giving up my virtual-rent-controlled apartment and doing this fulltime. I'll definitely do it another winter, probably changing my itinerary to spend more time in the Southwest or find a sit up in Chicago to see Mom. I've never trusted success, though. It's always been so fleeting.
Sounds like you could leverage this into a small business, make a bunch of money, and finally retire :lol:

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

It beats working.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

Net worth goes out at 780K for July. This is +7.6% for the month and +12.1% YTD. SPX was +3.1% for the month and some +20% on the year. Surprisingly, I am less than 1% away from an all-time high net worth.

I'm in Montana now on a long housesit. I haven't been out much. This is a nice property with a fantastic kitty — who's sitting on my lap as I write this —and I've enjoyed just relaxing here. Also it's been rather smoky here from fires; today it's so bad I can smell it. I do have another couple weeks here.

On my last sit my camera died. Just went kaput. The good news was this was during Amazon Prime Day and I could ship it to the Montana house sit, and Montana has no sales tax. So I used this as an opportunity to upgrade. Cha-ching, six hundred bucks.

Then one morning on the way here I started from my sleeping spot down the dirt road... and promptly got a flat tire. Nearest town was some 35 miles away. I got to the end of the dirt road, where it hits a highway, and changed the tire with my spare. At least it was full-size. On the drive into town I decided my most prudent course of action would be to replace all four tires, as I needed new ones by wintertime anyway. (Or Plan B, get another car.) Cha-ching, a full grand.

Now that I'm up here I want to tend to another car issue (exhaust) which I suspect will be on the order of cha-ching, another grand. So my July and August expenses have pushed well into the red zone, and I was already taking this completely discretionary 2000-mile trip just to do a house sit. Doesn't bother me though. At some point, money exists to be spent.

Henry

Post by Henry »

Looks like a 13 Apple shares of expenses month.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

How’s housesitting going?

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

Very well!

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

I can only imagine about what it’s like to be one of the people you sit for. Have you picked up any useful knowledge from them? Like is this a sustainable satisfying lifestyle?

These folks leave town on vacation for extended periods. They must have other residences in nice places. Other places nice enough that they also hire people to live in while they’re away.

Another world. Reminds me of Steve Jobs talking about his original investors in the Walter Isaacson book. They had homes all over the world that they’d live in or not live in. Hitting it on Apple allowed them to buy bigger vacation homes that required larger full time staff.

I realize this world exists but I don’t have a lot of contact with it. Sounds like a juggling act of sorts but it must have benefits that outweigh the hassle of ownership.

Henry

Post by Henry »

I think there is a status of owning multiple homes that has nothing to do with the functionality of owning multiple homes. Being able to say "I'm going to my other home" is part of the value of owning another home. Every time someone says "I'm going to my house in fill the blank" there's a pause and everyone listening is "wow, that asshole has another home." Probably the same guy who thinks its status to have been married multiple times. People just like to say it. In NJ it's "My shore house" or my "house in Florida." I know a guy who bought a home because it has gates. He said he always wanted to own a home with gates. So now he can say "I have to fix my gates" or "I have to get new gates" or "A bird shit on my gates." My family once had another home but they sold it because it was too far away for a car but too close for an airplane. It would get vandalized. For me, it's bathrooms. I now have three bathrooms. But one I never use because it's for guests. We don't have any guests but it's still the guest bathroom. So I really have two bathrooms. It's nice until you have to clean them or you get your water bill and you start thinking people in India shit on the beach and here I am with three fucking bathrooms only two of which I use. I also asked someone who went to a party at a mansion if they had servants and they said "not yet" so it appears having servants is another aspiration for some people. I don't want servants per se but I would like to have a diner in my home so I can get pancakes and turkey triple deckers. I'd prefer that over a second home but it's never happening.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

The bulk of the sits I'm getting now are for people who are financially comfortable but not what I'd call rich or even upper-class, more like upper-middle. These are for several weeks in comfortable houses in nice locations. Such as right now, I'm towards the end of a six-week sit tucked into the mountains in western North Carolina. And yes, they have a gate! But the listed square-footage is less than my mom's old house was.

Quite a few are normal-retired, in their 70s or so, and lived the typical prosperous-boomer life of working within the system for 30-40 years to now enjoy a comfortable retirement. The couple I'm sitting for now is on a cruise ship returning from the UK, and they cruised over there too. A previous sit was for a widow who went to Burning Man in her decked-out conversion van with her adult kids; her still-pastoral house — again, nice but in no way extravagant — was the same one she raised those kids in in the 1980s. Most don't have a second home, although one couple who was traveling to use theirs admitted they felt guilty about not using it more often.

Then for the gaps between these "staple sits" I'll be in more modest houses, typically inhabited by younger folks taking business trips or shorter vacations.

I do feel like I'm at the maximum of what I can accomplish on the one big commercial housesitting site. Not a bad place to be at all, but palpably the ceiling. The next step up would be what you two alluded to, sits in upper-bracket houses lasting between a month and an entire season. But those seem to be in the it's-whom-you-know category. And those properties may not be ideal. There's more to watch over and keep clean and I just might damage something. Such as when I was changing my transmission fluid at a previous sit (and had gotten permission from the owners to do so) and spilled some on the driveway. Well they had a power washer and I spent the rest of the sit applying various substances to the stain... they not only gave me a perfect review but also wrote the house was cleaner than they had left it. Yeah, because I was so paranoid. Then on this sit I damaged the door to the microwave oven. Bought a new door and replaced it without saying anything to the owners so far. Just the cost of doing business. But I wouldn't want to stumble and fall in the dark and rip someone's Picasso in the process.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Interesting

We are getting ready for an initial swing at housesitting. Watching two French bulldogs and some chickens in the North Bay, CA.

The host for this project is single 40’s woman. On the phone interview she seems very chill. We are ending up needing a car rental but the car rental and fuel will be way less than any other accommodations in the area.

Hopefully, DH gets over some of his issues with dogs. Mexico has helped him be less anxious as most off leash dogs here are very mellow.

The forecast is kind of crummy. I think we might be kinda homebodies and enjoy our Unites States style kitchen after some tiny Mexican Airbnb set ups.