Dumpster Diving

Move along, nothing to see here!
davtheram12

Re: Dumpster Diving

Post by davtheram12 »

Sclass wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:05 pm
touching story. Reminds me of my grandfather. Puts a tear in my eye. I need to remember to keep working his system.
Thanks Sclass. What was once a place of shame has turned into a fun hobby and source of income. If people keep throwing out nice things, I'll keep hunting for them.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Colibri wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:33 am
Social stigma is pretty low on my radar now, I am glad to have overcome this.
I'm glad you got to that point. Mine is nearly non existent now. Things can get weird and fun when this happens :lol:

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

I haven't DD at all last winter for all kind of reasons. My BF and I went last night. First time ever for him, he was quite curious and excited to try this.

We came back home with fruits, mostly citrus fruits : oranges, grapefruits but also a couple peaches and one pear. I will make marmalade later today.
There were a bunch of large watermelons. We picked the only one that wasn't cracked. They were not frozen yet so speculating they were dumped just a few hours before our visit. The watermelon looks good and taste good. It came from Mexico. Those watermelons were big and heavy. I don't know how much they go for in the store but propably a lot.
I am tempted to bring slices to a friends gathering this weekend and not telling the origin of it.

The peaches from Chili. Sad to think they made the trek all the way to the great north to end up in the dumpster. We also got 3 large white onions to use in various dish.

BF enjoyed it, hopefully we will go back again soon.

loutfard

Post by loutfard »

My significant other and I practice the more socially acceptable variant. We use a food waste app to collect close to expiry date food from shops at 20 to 25% of the original selling price. Fairly reliable and repeatable process.

On a side note, this dumpster diving thing reminds me of one of my grandfathers, a poor and very kind man. My parents had a few difficult years due to a cascade of misfortunes beyond their control. My grandfather must have been aware and started scour construction sites near his place for scrap wood. He'd wheel it home in a hand cart, cut it up with his hand saw and find old banana boxes to put it into. Every few weeks, for years on end, a few boxes of firewood would be ready for my parents to take home. He didn't even have a wood stove at home himself. It must have been his humble way of helping us through winter.

Loner

Post by Loner »

Colibri wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:02 pm
First time ever for him, he was quite curious and excited to try this.
Super glad to see you got to convince him and all is well. That's a nice bounty. Here I have gotten a free bike (ten speed) a month or two ago: bent fork, crappy rear wheel, but a bunch of free parts to maintain my winter beater. Woohoo. I'm actually selling some stuff now, my bike parts box is just overflowing (very mostly free stuff). If you need anything, now's the time haha!

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

@Loner

What parts are you selling ? And do you know who is your typical buyer ? Curious to know.

Loner

Post by Loner »

1x hardtail MTB fork+frame circa 2007 (this one just sold though)
4x wheels, some with tire+tube (IIRC rear 24", rear 26, front 700c and front 630)
2x drop bars
1x rear rack (I keep 2 others, in case!)
1x pair of mud guards (the 100% useless ones that clip/strap on the seat post and down tube)

I'm keeping a few things for myself (flat bars, stems, mech disk calipers, derailleurs, shifters, etc.), but if you're around and need anything, lemme know. If I have said part, I'll just give it to you.

I don't think there is one typical buyer since I sell a variety of stuff (dirt jump parts, road parts, MTB parts, kids' bike parts, stuff in good condition and stuff you'd put only on a beater, etc.). But mostly, I'd say they're all people like me who know bikes and mechanics and know what they're buying (and how to install or fix it). The typical consumer wouldn't take a chance with used stuff I think, since anyways, they wouldn't know if it fits, or is compatible, etc.

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

Interesting !

Glad to know you can make money out of your free bike parts. It pays to live in a place with a large enough customer base for this kind of exchange.

I don't need bike parts, but it reminds me how the dump here is full of bikes, many still with accessories on them ; bottle holder, rear rack, mud guards, etc.... Those accessories could be harvested and sell second hand. Similar to what you are doing.... Ah!
I have two dump bikes in the garden shed. One still need a serious tune up and new tires ( and it is bright pink ! ).

loutfard

Post by loutfard »

Colibri wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:39 am
it reminds me how the dump here is full of bikes,
I have a rather off-topic question. Bicycles these days largely consist of eminently recyclable aluminium. Any idea where waste stream separation comes into the picture, if it does?

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

@Loutfard

Good question.
I am assuming that one could collect a bunch of aluminium bike frames and find a recycler close to home to buy them.

Where I live (remote town in Northern Canada), any sort of metal objects (except some appliances) brought to the dump are stored together until the pile is high enough to be compacted and make a trip to the metal junker/recycler about 2000km away.

Oey

Re:

Post by Oey »

pooablo wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:22 pm
I went dumpster diving for the first time yesterday at a local organic food store. It's incredible what you can find in a garbage bin: zucchini, eggplant, potatoes, dill, collard, etc. I am definitely doing this more often. I can't believe that I have never tried it before.
Any other dumpster divers out there?
--very good! so glad you're listing vegetables. I'd keep to vegan unprocessed foods, grains, vegetables. e.g. I've seen vids of people reclaiming meat and dairy, which is poison to begin with, but now has the potential to make a person very, very ill.
have fun!