Which EU country requires the shortest working period before being eligible for old age pension?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Seppia

Re: Which EU country requires the shortest working period before being eligible for old age pension?

Post by Seppia »

jacob wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:53 am
I would only be able to collect US SS if I lived in either DK or US.
Would you have seen any problem in being "officially" DK resident and then actually living elsewhere?
As long as you have an address where you can receive paperwork, plus maybe a functioning cell phone number, nobody is going to bother.
Countries aren't actively looking for people who are paying taxes locally but shouldn't because they are physically elsewhere

Stahlmann

Re: Which EU country requires the shortest working period before being eligible for old age pension?

Post by Stahlmann »

Derailing with Stahlmann's style - I think trick used by white collar from EE with possible remote jobs (ertyu, you are somehow in finance industry AFAIR? there could be the problem... as access to data can require being in specific place) is to create "single person company/one invoice per month business" (whatever it's legally called in Balkan area) and bill WE wages (or at least something closer to them) while effective paying really low taxes... and putting the surplus in some investments. The very precise answer to your question :lol:

EDIT: n-th idea - I think after becoming resident (or being close to it...) in X (assuiming there's one country you spent most of your career) it should be possible to "pay in" volutarily for state pension or some loophole to do so (I heard about uniform services receiving promotions just before retirement to have higher pensions, but AFAIR it doesn't work anymore in The Most Glorious Country).

chenda

Post by chenda »

Ego wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:51 am
Yes I think France is on track to supercede Germany as Europe's largest country this century.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Historically Germany has been great at committing suicide and coming back from the ashes.
Their recent anti-science push for green energy at all costs (that resulted in record burning of coal and the razing of small towns to dig for lignite coal) was their latest suicide
But I would still bet on Germany VS any other European country going forward.

France has maybe better demographics but with regards to pensions they are fighting a war against math

loutfard

Post by loutfard »

DutchGirl wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:34 am
I do like that people who have worked for 42 years can retire at age 63 in Belgium!
I'm guessing people who start working at age 18-20 are mostly in low-paying fields with lots of manual labor or repetitive work, so they probably should be able to retire at a slightly younger age than people like me who spent half of their twenties in university and then the next 40 years on some cushioned chair (at least while working).

By the way, loutfard: Is it also true with that rule in Belgium that if you start working at age 22, keep working and thus reach 42 years at age 64, you can stop at age 64? Or 23 start, 65 end?
Correct. Note that years studied also count towards the 42 years if they ended in a diploma used in your job. There are also exceptions for jobs in the military, the national railway company, seafaring and mining.

The pension schemes used to be a lot more generous. Two relatives for example were teachers. One was allowed to retire in 2011 at 58, the other in 2005 at 56, both on more interesting financial conditions than those currently working until age 63 at the earliest.