Another Paul Kingsnorth interview

Your favorite books and links
Hristo Botev

Another Paul Kingsnorth interview

Post by Hristo Botev »

https://read.substack.com/p/the-active- ... th#details

I never tire of reading this guy (and hearing an occasional interview); the Wendell Berry of the post COVID world.

chenda

Re: Another Paul Kingsnorth interview

Post by chenda »

He's become an anti-vaxer I see.

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

I finally got my brother into Paul. I don't subscribe to his substack, but I read every free update he puts out. I got a collection of his essays but haven't read them yet; have you read any of his fiction, and, if so, which would you recommend for a first read?

chenda

Post by chenda »

I think he's completely lost the plot.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

Salathor wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:15 pm
have you read any of his fiction, and, if so, which would you recommend for a first read?
His Buckmaster triology (https://www.paulkingsnorth.net/buckmaster) is one of the most brilliant pieces of fiction writing I've ever read; it's up there with LotR for me with how the imagery has just stuck with me permanently and in how it has changed my worldview. The first book, The Wake, is written in a made-up modernized version of Old English, as it takes place the year of the Norman Invasion. @Jacob has said somewhere here that he was able to figure out the writing on his own, but I struggled with it until I read it along with the audiobook; and I'd recommend reading the book that way (while listening to the audiobook), if for no other reason that the narrator they got for the book is AMAZING. It's just really cool how Kingsnorth plays with language over the course of span of 2K years or so that the triology covers (in the last book, Alexandria, the language is an imagined dumbed-down version of a post-literate English).

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

Hristo Botev wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:01 pm
His Buckmaster triology (https://www.paulkingsnorth.net/buckmaster) is one of the most brilliant pieces of fiction writing I've ever read; it's up there with LotR for me with how the imagery has just stuck with me permanently and in how it has changed my worldview.
Pretty high praise. I think the library has the first one on Kindle--I'll take a look at it! I think I thumbed through it once and thought "There are a lot of good books where I don't have to parse a dialect" and bounced off it, but if it's worth reading regardless I'll give it another try!

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

Salathor wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:08 pm
Pretty high praise. I think the library has the first one on Kindle--I'll take a look at it! I think I thumbed through it once and thought "There are a lot of good books where I don't have to parse a dialect" and bounced off it, but if it's worth reading regardless I'll give it another try!
I was able to download the audiobook for free on the libby app; which really makes the The Wake come alive, as it was a bit unapproachable for me to make out just looking at the text. Would be almost like me trying to make out Canterbury tales or something.