Resources and recommend watching

Your favorite books and links
Frita

Re: Resources and recommend watching

Post by Frita »

chenda wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:16 am
That retirement village looks like hell on earth for an introvert.
My spouse and I watched that movie awhile back. I am extroverted and it seemed like hell on earth to me too. There was a junior high mentality with a creepy Stepford Wives vibe.

Read “Leisureville” if you want a more depth picture of the horrors: https://www.amazon.com/Leisureville-Adv ... 0802144187

sky

Post by sky »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:38 am
Documentary about life at one of the biggest active retirement communities in the U.S. I was able to watch it for free through my public library service. The 81 year old "handyman" guy who is living with all his belongings in his van trying to find a wealthy woman in the community to sponge off of might serve as good example of why not to be too "semi" in your ERE lifestyle plannng.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11358166/
Wow. Still trying to process this film. Do you think it is fiction or non-fiction?

I think I could have a lot of fun at the Villages but I would probably get kicked out.

I don't want to get old.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Frita wrote:There was a junior high mentality with a creepy Stepford Wives vibe.
Yes, this was my thought too. I mean I am old enough to fully grok that older people still have issues with purpose, love, weaknesses, etc. But, it seemed like these old people were still processing their problems at a very under-developed and/or inexperienced level. This is probably due to self-selection of those who prefer sanitized, easy mode version of the past as their current reality.
sky wrote: Do you think it is fiction or non-fiction?
Oh, I definitely believe it is non-fiction, although obviously edited to feature more "interesting" residents. Some of the activities did seem like they would be fun for maybe a two week stay, but checking in to die there, No thanks!

Frita

Post by Frita »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:28 am
But, it seemed like these old people were still processing their problems at a very under-developed and/or inexperienced level. This is probably due to self-selection of those who prefer sanitized, easy mode version of the past as their current reality.
Bingo! I have met some people who winter in places like this. One of whom is my aunt who I perceive to be emotionally stunted at age 13 when her mother (my paternal grandmother) died. There seems to be this satisfaction of having made it, living the good life being busy with manufactured entertainment and instant access to readymade “friends.” Since everyone is living the same dream, I suppose it seems “normal.” It would be interesting to know what percentages of the residents are also stuck in a trauma response…or is American culture emotionally traumatic?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Also made me wonder what percentage of Americans are “functional “ alcoholics.

ducknald_don

Post by ducknald_don »

In the UK about 600,000 of people are dependent drinkers and 25% of adults drink more than the recommended limits.

https://alcoholchange.org.uk/alcohol-fa ... statistics

chenda

Post by chenda »

There's a new series of Ben Fogle's new lives in the wild, Channel 5 UK. Some interesting ones so far, including a Hollywood actress who now lives alone in the wilds of Uruguay.

Ego

Post by Ego »

sky wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:34 pm
Do you think it is fiction or non-fiction?
I just finished the movie and found myself wondering the same thing. It was just a little too perfectly metaphorical and it ruthlessly caricatured the old farts... which is fine by me, but caricatures are not good representations of reality.

I found it on https://www.kanopy.com/. Log in with a library card and watch seven movies a month for free if your library participates. I am now a library card collector as different libraries allow access to different services.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

It seems that is exactly what the director (Oppenheim) intentioned. Some of it definitely seemed somewhat scripted though.

Some interesting segments from the Wikipedia page:
A Floridian, Oppenheim was interested in returning home to explore why "thousands of retirees were moving across the country, isolating themselves in a Truman Show-like bubble-world that reminded them of their youth".[7] Before filming, Oppenheim ventured to The Villages and lived in a rented room for nearly thirty days with retired rodeo clowns to embed himself into the social fabric of the community.[7] Production took place over four shoots (scattered across eighteen months) with a crew of five—Oppenheim, Vazquez, cinematographer David Bolen, Melissa Oppenheim Lano (Oppenheim's sister and lead physical producer), and sound recordist Richard Carlos.[8] Bolen, the cinematographer of the film, worked with Oppenheim to develop the heightened style and look of the film before production. Bolen and Oppenheim have been collaborating since the latter was 17 years old.[8] Using inspiration from Larry Sultan's Pictures from Home series, Ulrich Seidl, Todd Haynes' Safe, and Tim Burton's Edward Scissorhands, Oppenheim and Bolen wanted the film's images to mirror the controlled, manicured and hyperreal landscapes of The Villages.
Oppenheim and composer Ari Balouzian conceived of the score as an "integral part of the story they wanted to tell", embracing a "dreamy, orchestral sounds with harp inflections that invoke Old Hollywood to capture the tension between the sunny, polished exterior of The Villages and its harsher day-to-day realities"

GardenDee

Post by GardenDee »

chenda wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:05 pm
There's a new series of Ben Fogle's new lives in the wild, Channel 5 UK. Some interesting ones so far, including a Hollywood actress who now lives alone in the wilds of Uruguay.
Can we watch that here in the US?

white belt

Post by white belt »

Recently I've started watching Soft White Underbelly on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@SoftWhiteUnderbelly/featured

Mark Laita interviews various members of the underclass to include prostitutes, vagrants, drug addicts, drug dealers, gang members, sex offenders, homeless, crooked cops, enforcers, and so on. Many of his subjects are on Skid Row in LA, although he also travels around the USA to various locations. All stories are raw, many are tragic, some are also redemptive and hopeful. As someone who grew up in a comfortable and supportive middle class lifestyle, I think it's useful to hear the perspectives of those who were not that fortunate. It forces one to reckon with the totality of the human experience, rather than just what one sees in their socioeconomic circle.

I've only watched a handful of the interviews, but I'll link to two that I found humbling:

-Jerry, who survived a shotgun blast to the face: https://youtu.be/9bGjcHWhmFI

-Johnny, a former gang member who was able to turn his life around: https://youtu.be/z1QNZV7K5P4

Note that most videos are not stories of redemption. He interviews many people who have and continue to experience immense hardship and tragedy. I find the interviews with child prostitutes to be particularly difficult to watch, however I think it is also valuable to give a voice to members of the underclass. Many Americans are horrified of the conditions that the poor endure in the developing world, yet they would probably be shocked to know their own countrymen are enduring such hardships within a few miles.

chenda

Post by chenda »

GardenDee wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:14 pm
Can we watch that here in the US?
I think it's available on Amazon prime, or you could try a VPN https://www.channel5.com/show/ben-fogle ... n-the-wild

@whitebelt - thanks for linking, some of those cases look heartbreaking.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@white belt

I've watched quite a few of those already and I just had to stop.

If you work emergency services in any larger city, these are the majority of your clients. If you want to experience this sub-culture, then do a few ride-alongs on an inner-city ambulance. It's depressing how many broken people there are in the world.

But it's a good series that is well-done and respectful. And eye-opening if you aren't aware.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

white belt wrote:Many Americans are horrified of the conditions that the poor endure in the developing world, yet they would probably be shocked to know their own countrymen are enduring such hardships within a few miles.
Yup, that's why I recommend volunteering at nearest low income school district for those looking for meaningful-in-the-moment work that needs doing.
Ego wrote:It was just a little too perfectly metaphorical and it ruthlessly caricatured

True, but that is kind of what it is like in those communities and nearby "luxury" campgrounds where I have visited. The "waiting room for heaven" (if heaven was imagined by Disney) comment made was quite apt. I was talking about this documentary with one of my polys who is 10 years older than me and quite affluent, while lying on mattress on the floor of my tiny apartment, and I noted that I related a little too closely to the old-guy-cruising-in-van-at-81 character, and he replied "Well, I've always admired your ability to get by on very little." And, for better or worse, on some level, I do think it would be kind of cool if I was living in a van cruising for old guys when I am 81. I think the best strategy would be to hold off on that plan for at least another decade, in order to avoid the kind of extreme wrinkling the Florida sun is likely to cause. Also, I will have to do some actuarial research to determine when die off rate of Boomer men will result in equilibrium with Old Gen X/Gen Jones female population. etc. etc.

chenda

Post by chenda »

That reminds me Fogle also just did a documentary about Slab City in California, a disused military base out in the desert where various people have migrated to and set up informal settlements. It's attracted a real mix of people, often homeless people who have battled mental illness and addiction. Needless to say it has its problems but it's also provided a sanctuary for many people.

sky

Post by sky »

I have lived at Slab City. It is a decent place to spend the winter, although the surrounding towns don't have much in the way of services. There are bad neighborhoods and good neighborhoods in Slab City. Pick your neighbors well, and/or go with a tribe.

I prefer Imperial Dam LTVA (long term visitor area) to Slab City for winter camping. The weather is warmer, not so many tweekers, easy access to services in Yuma, lots of desert areas to explore, waterfront and kayaking opportunities, not far from Mexico for day trips. It costs $180 for the winter to camp and you can fill your water and dump your RV tanks all winter. Negatives are a lot of wind and dust in the desert.

chenda

Post by chenda »

sky wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:13 pm
I have lived at Slab City.
Cool, this week's episode was about 'Pirate' Pete who lives half the year on an island in Oregon. Maybe you know him ? Interesting character but came across well.

I believe the Salton Sea has also attracted similar communities since its shrinkage and abandonment by tourists in the 1980s.

chenda

Post by chenda »

This guy has bought 320 acres of desert in a remote part of Texas and is aiming to turn it into a desert forest.

https://youtu.be/D6fl8dap5nk

Ego

Post by Ego »

Triangle of Sadness for the value of Renaissance Woman skills.

https://youtu.be/VDvfFIZQIuQ

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Ego:

Thanks for the recommendation. There's a shortage of good satire out there in this era of solemnity.