ERE math (chapter 7)

Questions and comments
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

ERE math (chapter 7)

Post by jacob »

This is parts of chapter 7 who those who prefer code or spreadsheets over the analytical solutions and graphs given in the book.

https://gist.github.com/tadeoos/2835c22 ... cde14a5efb

xmj

Re: ERE math (chapter 7)

Post by xmj »

What I'm hoping to see at some point is an actuary knowledgeable in life insurance mathematics take a crack at the topic.

Obviously you can derive the amount of time worked for any number of accumulated expenses (1/withdrawal ratio) from the starting capital, interest rate and savings rate -- see below -- but that doesn't factor into account mortality and the desired ruin probability / probability of exhausting the stash before death.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

xmj wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:18 am
Obviously you can derive the amount of time worked for any number of accumulated expenses (1/withdrawal ratio) from the starting capital, interest rate and savings rate -- see below -- but that doesn't factor into account mortality and the desired ruin probability / probability of exhausting the stash before death.
See https://engaging-data.com/will-money-last-retire-early/

avalok

Post by avalok »

This is a great find, thanks Jacob, I think I'm going to rewrite this into an Org file for my own reference; it should solidify my understanding better.

xmj

Post by xmj »

xmj wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:18 am
What I'm hoping to see at some point is an actuary knowledgeable in life insurance mathematics take a crack at the topic.

I've since solved this by ChatGPT-enabled learning about ruin theory and have a few Jupyter Notebooks I'll one day clean up and throw on Github.