The Education of Axel Heyst

Where are you and where are you going?
UrbanHomesteader

Re: The Education of Axel Heyst

Post by UrbanHomesteader »

Just read your 2023 manifesto, and my favoriteline is "Collapse now and avoid the rush".

I can relate to the idea that planning more than 10 years out is sketchy.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

The photo angle is a bit deceiving. I figure half to 2/3rds of the backside of the panels reflects off the roof line and the remainder from the trees. Either way, the blue tin does not do much in terms of reflecting.

The cost factor was the same for me, so I figured I'd try them out. I'll be interested to hear your results. There was a study I read once about how some researchers created a reflective stand behind a bifacial solar array to direct more light to the back side. IIRC, they found they were able to increase solar capture by about 30%. I can't seem to find the article now, but will share if I do come across it again.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

@UH, if you like that line, you'll like the book, and, well, probably most of JMG's nonfic as well.

@animal ah, gotcha. Yeah I came across the 30% figure, but sounded like it was under ideal conditions like you say. "Good" real world conditions might be another 20%? At any rate, the bifacial panels definitely look cooler, which is rule #1, so either way we're at a win.

(The real reason I'm doing this project for my neighbor is because I'm hoping he'll let me take his old solar panels... which were installed when I was 1.(!)

Bicycle7

Post by Bicycle7 »

My partner and I read through your 22' and 23' Manifestos.

There's so much great stuff in there, it made for good conversation between us. One part that stands out that we talked about was the subsections on SemiERE and DirtbagERE.

The idea of earning money more efficiently- lower tax bracket, perhaps less time committed to commuting, lunch breaks, etc. More time devoted to developing skills and connections with others. More energy to pursue what you call stoke, what I relate to Plotkin's sacred dance.

The 3rd and 4th paragraphs of the DirtbagERE section gave me goosebumps when I read it.

"Stoke is not the same as fun, thrills, or even passion. You can be stoked to do something that hurts or scares you. "

- This makes me think of shadow work.

Looking forward to hearing more details about your PCT trip :)

You are a huge inspiration! Thanks.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Bicycle glad you found the manifestos interesting! My experience of them is that I find the process of drafting them very rewarding and enriching to my thinking... And then they seem totally flat and I get nothing from referring to them. So I ignore them for a year or two. Then I read them again later and go whoa hey this is good stuff and there's a second 'impact'. I recommend the practice for sure.

Last Week's ERE Thing: move some cash tiers accounts around. In progress, these things take a while, but it's going fine. Next week's ERE thing is more boring logistics stuff. Had a great MMG call this morning that sparked lots of further thinking about how to approach thinking about stash management as a semiEREr.

Writing: As part of my writing project ("Advice to my 25yo self") I decided to go back and read all of my journals from the beginning. I started journaling in 1998 when I was 12, and I'm currently writing in journal #31. I'm only up to reading 2005's journal but I'm already spotting patterns and trends that I didn't realize went back so far. As in, change the names and specific details, and I've been living one story on repeat since the early oughts. Super interesting stuff. I'm starting to connect some dots that I hadn't before, specifically, the fact that I've operated from a place of fear and hate, guilt and shame (hate being flipside of the fear coin) for a long, long time. I'd say this realization is one level deeper than my previously deepest understanding of how I tick and why. And the previous layer I was consciously on to since 2016 or so. This does relate to ERE-journey stuff, but I've got to dig around more before I can articulate it. Bottom line though is it's orienting my self perception and desires for my internal state in a very positive, hopeful, etc direction.

This writing project is turning into the richest personal-work project I've done, ever. Already worth it.

solarpunk stuff: I energized the well PV system this week! It works! Still some features to add and things to finish up, but it's functional. No more gasoline generator. I'm psyched. I'll do a longer post with pictures later.

I took some further dives into the solarpunk community this week. Checking the scene out.

PCT: gathering information on MYOG (make your own gear) folks. It looks like making my own bivvy and tarpent at minimum is actually reasonable. I picked up a 20F UBQ quilt for half MSRP on eBay, had been used for a week on the ATC. I'd like to get my sleeping system put together as quickly as possible so I can 'test' it out locally, on bike rides etc.

Still in a big push to finish neighbors PV system. Then my plate will be considerably cleared. I'm busier than I'd like but I am working my plan to clear my plate, enjoy the ride, not feel stressed, etc. GTD and timeblocking are critical skills for these kinds of phases. Looking forward to a phase where I'll drop the timeblocking for a bit.

Dave

Post by Dave »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:42 am
I'm only up to reading 2005's journal but I'm already spotting patterns and trends that I didn't realize went back so far. As in, change the names and specific details, and I've been living one story on repeat since the early oughts. Super interesting stuff. I'm starting to connect some dots that I hadn't before.

This writing project is turning into the richest personal-work project I've done, ever. Already worth it.
Awsome stuff!

I've been journaling since late 2016 (thanks @Dragline) and so have only a tiny taste of what you're talking about here. Still, even from my limited experience it seems amazing how much you can learn about yourself observing these themes through text over time. Happy you're making some personal progress, really empowering stuff.
AxelHeyst wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:42 am
PCT: gathering information on MYOG (make your own gear) folks. It looks like making my own bivvy and tarpent at minimum is actually reasonable. I picked up a 20F UBQ quilt for half MSRP on eBay, had been used for a week on the ATC. I'd like to get my sleeping system put together as quickly as possible so I can 'test' it out locally, on bike rides etc.
Excited to hear how all of this goes!

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Hey do I remember it right that you are organising an ERE festival?

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

8-)

Clear your calendar for early September. I'll start a thread on it soon.