Solopreneur MMG

Home of groups, cadres, circles, teams, ...
liberty

Solopreneur MMG

Post by liberty »

Started a thread about Working individually together. Got suggested to start an MMG, and here it is. Let me first quote from the other thread so you see what this is about:
liberty wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:15 pm
I'm FI and retired from my 9-5 job. Now I work on my own projects. I find it nice to work on projects alone, but there are also some downsides of it:
- I don't feel much of a commitment. Some days I don't do much work since I don't have to.
- You don't have colleagues to discuss the ideas with.
- Also no one to check/verify the work you do. Example code reviews for programmers.
- No one to consult on the parts you are not so good at. If you make an app, it's nice to be able to ask an expert marketer about the marketing part.

Why not create one or more "work groups" where we can work individually together? This would be especially nice for those of us who have reached FI, and miss some of the social parts of work, but also to have some sense of commitment. Also we could cheering each other forward and make a positive, loving environment, kinda like a workout group. Unlike at a work place we won't be competing for the next promotion or shit like that.

It would even be possible to do some work for each other without need of sending bills around. If one hates doing marketing, and another loves it, then the marketing-expert could do 10 hours of marketing work for the programming-expert, while the programming-expert would do 10 hours of programming for the marketing-expert.

These work groups don't need to be only for those who work alone on a project. They could also be great for those who are alone in a specific role in a small (or big) company. If you are the only designer in a startup, you would benefit from having other designers to discuss with.
So this group will be for those who have a project and would like to be part of a group where we motivate each other on our journey, and exchange ideas and critics to each other's projects. The project/business can be anything.

I suggest we have weekly status meetings, and a channel where we can ask questions and give feedback between the meetings.

Post here if you want to join or have any questions.

mountainFrugal

Re: Solopreneur MMG

Post by mountainFrugal »

I would be interested in this if we can figure out a way to also keep part of it on thread here for everyone to benefit. We can PM to figure out details.

Zine Biz Zine outline here: viewtopic.php?p=267009#p267009
Business Goal: $500 a month of consistent low stress art sales (starting with science/illustration Zines and commissions, but could be other things) by July 2024. Learning new techniques or information to make the zines takes priority over sales/marketing, but at least 50% of time showing work on various channels to build up a following initially. I have to be stoked on the topic for commissions or alternatively to learn/practice an underdeveloped technique. I have a decent backlog of illustrations on various topics that could be turned into zines. I have been polishing one of these every morning for posting. As I stated recently in the art MMG: Immediate goal- first 12 page zine printed and for sale online by Feb 28.

liberty

Post by liberty »

I think it's a good idea to update here about the projects, but members should also be allowed to not go much into details. Some prefer to stay anonymous. However, in the closed group we should not hide identity. There everyone should show their projects and go more into details about their tasks. What do you think?

Great project you work on - nice fit for this MMG.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

I agree on all these fronts. People can remain anonymous WRT the forum if they want to and offer what they are comfortable with on forum. I think there is a great benefit (mainly reciprocal trust and respect) that comes with knowing who people really are. Especially for motivating one another and accepting constructive feedback. The one caveat to this is that it might be limiting the potential group to a much smaller number of people who would be willing offer that trust. So even if it is just you an I (I hope it is not!), that would be fine with me also. That is how that artMMG started, with two members. Now we have 8.

liberty

Post by liberty »

mountainFrugal wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:40 pm
The one caveat to this is that it might be limiting the potential group to a much smaller number of people who would be willing offer that trust.
That's right! Let's see if some more people join. For me it's also fine to start with only you and I.

My work
Web projects, where I do everything: programming, content creation, design and marketing. The marketing part is the hardest, and I would like some ideas about that. Also I would like to get some feedback on the website I currently work on (that should be relevant for ERE people).