chatGPT

Your favorite books and links
Viktor K

chatGPT

Post by Viktor K »

have you all tried it yet? what are you using it for?

I'm using it to write. it can brainstorm so much faster than i can. then i just edit what it writes, or advise and refine it.

C40

Re: chatGPT

Post by C40 »

can it converse in different languages?

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Yes, it wrote me a poem in Russian and gave some background information about it in English below it.

It also wrote a poem in Hindi with the names of 2 of my coworkers and 1 name of a location. It was good with the word sense disambiguation, using 2 words twice with different meanings in different contexts. For one word as a name of a place and later as an adjective. Second proper name was gender neutral and it was used twice, once as a name of a girl and later as a verb.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

I messed around with it a little bit. It was sort of interesting but I haven't found a "use" for it yet.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

I used it (and the non-chat version) a few times to help me code things. I think this can potentially be a really good use i.e. one can progress much much faster.

Also write with it in Spanish occasionally because I am learning Spanish.

I wonder if they will eventually put all of its use behind a paywall.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

I spent a couple of hours asking it questions when it was first released. I was initially very impressed but it quickly became apparent that it uses a small set of structures for its answers. For example, if asked to write a short paragraph about the benefits of X, it would start with 2-3 sentences describing what X is and then write 3-5 points with the benefits of X. If asked to describe, say, a fierce sword fight between an agile and lightly armored young warrior fighting a raging, three-handed orc with a giant axe, it would almost always use these very adjectives and descriptions the first or second sentence. Still, it's quite good at what it's doing, for most audiences. Fast and cheap (free) but not high-quality text.

I asked it a couple of coding-related questions which it answered quite well, seems easier and faster than googling or browsing StackExchange.

It won't engage in commenting on current events and I found it frustrating that despite what the creators were saying, it doesn't 'remember' previous questions asked.

Overall, I'd say it's worth spending some time playing with if only to be aware of what it currently possible in this area.

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

Bankai wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:28 pm
I asked it a couple of coding-related questions which it answered quite well, seems easier and faster than googling or browsing StackExchange.
guitarplayer wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:18 pm
I used it (and the non-chat version) a few times to help me code things. I think this can potentially be a really good use i.e. one can progress much much faster.
From a comment on Astral codex ten (look at Section 3 to find a description of what might be the issue, and further and more thorough description in another post)
From my understanding, for anything complicated enough that you can't immediately check it yourself, you need to doublecheck because ChatGPT (as documented in this very post) will extremely confidently and convincingly lie to you. That's why Stack Overflow banned ChatGPT answers. Apparently, it is far more willing to make up a correct _sounding_ answer than it is to admit that it doesn't know the answer. As an answer-finding-technology, this is a pretty crippling flaw.

Jean

Post by Jean »

chat gpt is a text predicting program. It will give you kind of the average of the internet answer. It's not evaluating wether something is true or not.
But this is how conversation with many human feels anyway.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

@slevin thanks for the info.

@Jean potentially a pretty good trait for learning a foreign language.

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

Long tangent about coding and chatGPT:

I found it pretty good at boilerplate coding of basic stuff, but it started running into issues very quickly when I started asking explicit complicated questions about how a particular piece of weird syntax works in a given language, or how any not super well documented features of a language work (which often ends up being the crux of my work issues where I blow a lot of time just trial and erroring how the syntax is supposed to be constructed, especially across applications I’m not familiar with).

It would be cool (and disgustingly dangerous from a security standpoint) to feed it the whole codebase of a company and then ask how certain methods / features of an application are built / integrated in an application, which is basically what many software engineers spend the bulk of the time writing a change doing.

I think to do the above you would need self-hosted instances of the ai, and then feed it the code base, and then spend time aligning it / just let the people actually figuring the issues out align it. Hilariously unless it has real time access to re-train on everything it is basically as useful as documentation, where it will slowly get outdated over time, as engineers start making changes to the codebase so it starts to diverge from the training set. Who knows, maybe you can teach it to read all the merged git commits or something and edit its knowledge based on that?

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

I don't know if it can handle an entire codebase, it has a limited memory and forgets or gets wrong key pieces of info over the course of a conversation. I'm excited for the future though, and it's a good start.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Slevin wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:09 am
It would be cool (and disgustingly dangerous from a security standpoint) to feed it the whole codebase of a company and then ask how certain methods / features of an application are built / integrated in an application
This sounds like a static analysis tool. Enterprise software development will host them on site and run build pipelines through. There's alerting that can be enabled to block releases etc. They'll also use dynamic analysis tools (DAST) for similar purposes.

A couple I played with at work, we ultimately used the first one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SonarQube
https://www.ndepend.com/

The visual studio code maps tool is a similar option, though harder to get access to:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/visua ... ew=vs-2022

Another big area of interest along this line of thought is third party library analysis. What does your code depend on? Does it have vulns? OWASP has a build pipeline tool for that as well:

https://owasp.org/www-project-dependency-check/

There are also paid products, though we never went down that route. This tool was revealing enough.

IMO general purpose AI tools will show their primary value as supporting engines to special purpose AI. They need to be wrapped, to be competitive with existing tools.

ducknald_don

Post by ducknald_don »

Looks like MMM is out of a job:
Question: Create a strategy for cutting costs in the home.

Answer:
  1. Energy Efficiency: Implement energy-saving measures such as using LED lights, adjusting thermostats, sealing air leaks, and replacing old appliances with Energy Star certified ones.
  2. Groceries: Plan your meals and make a grocery list to avoid impulse purchases and reduce food waste. Shop at discount stores and buy in bulk.
  3. Entertainment: Look for free or low-cost entertainment options like hiking, visiting parks, or attending community events. Cancel cable TV or streaming services you don't need.
  4. Transportation: Reduce driving by carpooling, using public transportation, or riding a bike. Regular maintenance can also help to reduce fuel costs.
  5. Utilities: Compare rates and switch to the most cost-effective provider for your electricity, water, and internet. Pay bills on time to avoid late fees.
  6. Home Maintenance: Regular home maintenance can prevent expensive repairs. Tackle small tasks yourself instead of hiring a professional.
  7. Insurance: Review your insurance coverage regularly and compare rates from different providers. Consider a high deductible to lower your premium.
  8. Taxes: Know your tax deductions and credits, and consider hiring a tax professional for advice.
  9. Credit Cards: Pay off credit card balances in full every month to avoid interest charges. Use cash or debit cards for everyday purchases.
  10. Long-Term Planning: Consider long-term planning, such as paying off debt, saving for emergencies, and investing for retirement.
So I then asked it to come up with some more extreme ideas:
  1. Minimalism: Adopt a minimalist lifestyle by reducing clutter, selling unused items, and living with only the essentials.
  2. Housing: Consider downsizing to a smaller home or renting instead of owning. You can also live rent-free by house-sitting or exchanging homes with other families.
  3. Food: Grow your own vegetables, buy produce in season, and cook meals from scratch. Consider foraging for wild foods and using a food dehydrator to preserve excess.
  4. Clothing: Buy second-hand clothing, mend clothes instead of replacing them, and choose quality over quantity.
  5. Water: Install a rainwater collection system and use it for gardening and flushing toilets. Fix leaks promptly and take shorter showers.
  6. Energy: Invest in renewable energy sources like solar panels, wind turbines, or a micro-hydro system.
  7. Transportation: Sell your car and use alternative transportation options like a bike, electric scooter, or car-sharing service.
  8. Communication: Cut your phone bill by using a low-cost provider, using Wi-Fi instead of cellular data, or using a basic cell phone.
  9. Health: Practice preventative health care like exercise, stress management, and eating a healthy diet. Consider using alternative therapies like acupuncture or herbal medicine.
  10. Lifestyle: Re-evaluate your priorities and focus on the things that truly matter. Cut back on unnecessary expenses like dining out, travel, and luxury goods.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

David Chapman just published a book called 'Better without AI' that seems to be partly inspired by chatGPT

https://betterwithout.ai/

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

C40 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:08 am
can it converse in different languages?
I believe the Bing integration can.

There certainly is some fear and pushback around certain uses of AI

Is that something that book expands on?

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

I think so, but so far have read only the introduction. From it:
David Chapman wrote: I am not a Luddite. I have been wildly enthusiastic about science, technology, and intellectual and material progress since I was a kid. I have a PhD in artificial intelligence, and I find the current breakthroughs fascinating. I’d love to believe there’s a way AI could improve our lives in the long run. If someone finds one, I will do an immediate 180, roll up my sleeves, and help build that better future.

Unless and until that happens, I oppose AI. I hope you will too. At minimum, I advise everyone involved to exercise enormously greater caution.

AI is extremely cool, and we can probably have a better future without it. Let’s do that.

This book is about you. It’s about what you can do to help avert apocalyptic outcomes. It’s about your part in a future we would like.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

"We are talking about the first government adviser to use artificial intelligence," both nationally and internationally, he said. [...] Romanians will be able to send their ideas through an accompanying website (ion.gov.ro) as well as on social media and some in-person locations. [...]Ion will analyze the information it receives and draw up reports about Romanians' priorities."
https://www.politico.eu/article/meet-th ... -shrishak/

Anyone else thinks there is a far from zero potential of this to end up as a big joke at the cost of the Prime Minister?

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

Apparently, there's now RadioGPT operated fully by AI, playing music, doing interviews with guests etc. Things are starting to move fast.

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

openAI did just release an API which you can train yourself using basic JSON structure of {input: “example”, output: “expected output example”}

Haven’t tried the API yet but I’m getting green lighted to play with it at work for potential business application

And it’s extremely cheap

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Version 4 is out: https://openai.com/research/gpt-4
Now better than the average college student (as measured by passing examinations) in most subject matter fields.

What's interesting to me is that I've heard several commenting to the effect that they don't care to read anything written by "a bunch of numbers in a box"; or it should be labeled, etc. As for me, if this keeps going, I might never speak to very many humans ("a bunch of hormones on a brain pan") again. Just imagine if an average conversational IQ is 130 is available at the press of button instead of 100. OTOH, I might change my mind if the only option given is 200. Yet, just like with chess programs, AIs might be less cranky about dumbing things down than humans. Or maybe not.