Get Paid $10,000 to Move to Tulsa or Vermont

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
7Wannabe5

Re: Get Paid $10,000 to Move to Tulsa or Vermont

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Henry wrote: This is also why I never support missionaries in any church I attend. They fly over this disaster in order to go to Uganda or some lost tribal bullshit civilization so they can come back and deliver a power point of themselves dancing barefoot around a fire.
It's the same with a lot of secular liberal charitable types. I'll never forget the time when I attended a champagne-served symposium on the greening-of-the-city less than two miles away from the refugee-camp-like elementary school where I was teaching. Organic produce in free school lunches- What a great idea! How about you actually come over to one of the everybody-gets-a-free-lunch schools and help clean up the 10 levels of extreme dysfunction that anybody with an ounce of common sense would priority tackle before maybe fretting about a bit of pesticide residue?

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

Henry wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:16 am
This is also why I never support missionaries in any church I attend. They fly over this disaster in order to go to Uganda or some lost tribal bullshit civilization so they can come back and deliver a power point of themselves dancing barefoot around a fire.
To be fair, Appalachia is fully churched as it is. Churches are basically the only buildings that have been built in the last 30 years.

Henry

Post by Henry »

Understood. But I really meant from a macro point of view. The romanticism of manifest destiny is still alive in the broader evangelical church. From a secular standpoint, the farther you travel the more of an expert you become and from a religious standpoint, the easier it is to be a prophet. But keeping the medieval analogy alive, the place could really benefit from a monastery or a cloister. At least they know to let the monetary faucet drip and not open the spigot all at once. That never works.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Henry wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:05 am
But keeping the medieval analogy alive, the place could really benefit from a monastery or a cloister. At least they know to let the monetary faucet drip and not open the spigot all at once. That never works.
Even better, an Almshouse.

Henry

Post by Henry »

Almshouses sounds good. It's so much fun coming up with ideas about other people should be doing.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

unemployable wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:46 am
To be fair, Appalachia is fully churched as it is. Churches are basically the only buildings that have been built in the last 30 years.
Churches and Dollar Generals.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

OTCW wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:55 pm
Churches and Dollar Generals.
Of course.