Examples of Successful Green Communities

The "other" ERE. Societal aspects of the ERE philosophy. Emergent change-making, scale-effects,...
mathiverse

Examples of Successful Green Communities

Post by mathiverse »

Let's bring the discussion about this topic to this thread. Here are the originating posts.
Jin+Guice wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:44 am
Ah the communality of the military interesting. When I think of a current communal society, I think of the Amish. From what I've observed, the cost of communality is individualism, as in there is a very strict social code and if you break it you're out of the group. For you color theorists, is this Green or Blue?

Anyway, that's the thing I try not to bring up to the hippies, who for all their communal beliefs like a fair amount of autonomy. But maybe they're just people raised in an individualistic society trying to come back to a communal one? (or as @Lemur said, people from an Orange society trying to be Green).
Lemur wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:38 pm
I want to say Amish / Military is definitely Blue. Collective + Strict Social Code and Hierarchy. Green is also collective like blue but values harmony whereas Blue is more about order.

Blue values are ingrained in basic training and carry with you throughout your service - an example might be if one person is late to formation, then everyone does pushups. Not just that individual.
jacob wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:55 pm
Both and also purple, the so-called "cold colors". Break the code and you'll be cast out albeit in different ways, each way reflecting the opposite of the highest held value. The individual who refuses to play along will get sanctioned according to what the group values.

Purple values family bonds, so out = disowned by the family
Blue values faith, so out = excommunicated from the faith community
Green values loving inclusion, so out = cold shoulder from the group

Ironically, extreme individualists likely don't care that much about the punishment, but for the collectively oriented person who didn't conform, these sanctions would be bad news indeed.

The military is red/blue. Breaking the military code results in a dishonorable discharge: excommunicated (blue) and loss of honor (red).
Jin+Guice wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:42 pm
Are there any examples of successful Green communities?
OutOfTheBlue wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:00 pm
Define successful… If I understand Green correctly, The Notre-Dame-Des-Landes ZAD (Zone à Défendre/Zone To Defend) comes to mind. 2012-2018, mostly. At its height counted a community of up to 100 squats/collectives with various characteristics. Result: the project of building an airport at the area definitely shelved. Result: participants' lives changed through community experience, praxis and struggle. Result: Inspiration for other ZADs, blocades, ecology/political initiatives in France and elsewhere.
So, do you know any examples of successful green communities?

daylen

Re: Examples of Successful Green Communities

Post by daylen »

Wherever there are hippies, hackers, or hipsters. :P The internet is filled to the brim with loosely coupled green communities that spread globally. There is a tendency when looking for examples to find a stable and localized community yet it would be somewhat unhealthy of green if an ideology constrained who acceptable members of the community were (more blueish).

I think part of the criteria of green communities is that they are diffuse and subtle, thus more difficult to pin-point than blue communities. This is a feature that allows for minority ideas and ideals to mix with majority ideas and ideals.

MMG's are sometimes greenish. As with several communities Jacob has mentioned (the Stoa, game B, etc.) that spread across various mediums (books, blogs, vlogs, podcast circling, etc.).

It's important to realize that green communities are built on blue communities as built on purple tribes. Purple tribes having very heavy collective feelings of in/out group, blue having slightly lighter collective feelings of in/out group, and green having even lighter collective feelings of in/out group.

rube

Post by rube »

"green" is by most people well known as "eco friendly", which is what I expected opening this thread.
I am not sure what you're all up with these new color definitions, but for sure it is confusing.

daylen

Post by daylen »

That is for sure one of the common values of "green" as if the ecology is disrupted then people will be more worried about base survival needs than understanding, appreciating, and starting to integrate diverse survival strategies (i.e. more how green is being used here).

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Scandinavia

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

rube wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:37 am
"green" is by most people well known as "eco friendly", which is what I expected opening this thread.
I am not sure what you're all up with these new color definitions, but for sure it is confusing.
@rube: Look for Spiral Dynamics on this wiki page: https://wiki.earlyretirementextreme.com ... reviations

This is the Emergent Renaissance Ecology subforum, so the colors from Spiral Dynamics will probably come up here and there. Best read up on it if you want to join in on threads like this one where the focus is SD colors or ignore it if it's not your jam. There are other threads in the subforum where this is less of a focus (but may come up). The vast majority of the threads outside of this subforum won't include Spiral Dynamics colors, so if you want to avoid them at all costs stick to those. We welcome you to nerd out about SD if you choose!

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

@rube @mathiverse

I think this is not wrong. From what I've been reading, green is usually synonymous with some concern for the environment and being eco-friendly in general. The green value systems tend to attract community around fighting for the environment. A lot of vegans, Greenpeace activists, etc. display green values. Many greens are former oranges or oranges currently transitioning to greens.

An example might be an end-stage orange person that begins to recognize through some sort of self-reflection or epiphany that all the personal wealth, capitalism, materialism, unchecked economic growth, poverty, and toxic individualism is killing off the environment and exacerbating wealth inequality and that instead of competition, what life is really about is cooperation and building relationships! Would it not be be better then if we'll just band together, excluding no one in the process, to create harmony and start building a utopia instead of competing with one another?

The green is at the last stage of the tier one thinking and they're not integral yet. A blind spot for a green is that they're not at the tier 2 level of integral thinking where to truly create this harmony, they have to understand the colors before them and their values so they could truly create the harmony they're looking for. They need to learn how to "tolerate intolerance." Greens are still apprehensive towards perceived injustice to the point where they're intolerant towards intolerance (Some toxic greens just become SJW posting on Twitter all day instead of actually working at problems?). Its the Yellows/Turquoise that can point this out and integrate and help Green self-reflect.