Just for fun: What is the oldest thing you own that you use daily?

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
vexed87

Re: Just for fun: What is the oldest thing you own that you use daily?

Post by vexed87 »

The stardust we are all made of. Did I win?

loutfard

Post by loutfard »

I have a 1954 coin in my wallet that I found in our garden. I use it when flipping a coin, an almost daily habit. Don't ask. It helps me at work.

steelerfan

Post by steelerfan »

I have a snooker table circa 1945 in the basement that I use daily. I also have various slide rules that I fiddle with. Some date into the 40s and 50s.

Walwen

Post by Walwen »

I had a pair of cheap sandals from Walmart that I loved so much, I tried to track down another pair.... but the brand didn't even exist anymore (cheap line of a higher quality sport company made specially for Walmart.) I think I wore them from 11 to 18. Until I literally wore holes straight through the foam sole. Miss them tons, never found another like them.

My current daily wear tennis shoes are three years old (and I walk a lot) and have a few holes in them/are coming apart at the seams inside. I thought my repairwork was good enough, but at my job at a homeless shelter, my coworkers were personally trying to donate shoes to me. It was a sign. I wish it were easier to buy things that last....

I'm currently using some plastic folding tray tables as worktables that are far older than me and I think were purchased from a mail order catalogue grandparents before I was born. Really durable and the white plastic hasn't even stained. I'm sure they don't make them like this anymore. Adjustable height and pefectly level. Props to Table Mate. They still exist but their current products look like they're made from a different material.

Jim

Post by Jim »

My Erie cast iron that I use on a daily basis is well over 100 years old, but that's almost cheating.

llorona

Post by llorona »

My brain. :lol:

And a Wedgewood stove from the late 1940s.

themodernchap

Post by themodernchap »

My house was built in 1930, but on a smaller scale: My bike was built in 1986, that's probably the oldest thing where I know the age accurately. I have a few things made by my great grandfather - a small table, a fireplace poker turned from brass and steel and a really sturdy potato masher he made, they would all have been made between the 50s and 70s I would think. My wallet is over 10 years old now and I doubt I'll ever buy another one.