Walking on ice

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
shaz

Re: Walking on ice

Post by shaz »

Is the river to the left in the photo frozen solid enough for skating? That would be a lot more fun.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I reiterate my suggestion of "skating" on your shoes. Basicaly, you do a similar move as what you'de do in classical langlaufski. It works really well, and you are much faster and less likely to fall than if you try to walk.

Married2aSwabian

Post by Married2aSwabian »

Ego wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:12 pm

Or you could do the DIY lawn aerator shoes and kill two birds...

WINNER: 2022 BEST SHOES FOR WALKING ON ICE!! :D

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Jean wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:41 am
I reiterate my suggestion of "skating" on your shoes. Basicaly, you do a similar move as what you'de do in classical langlaufski. It works really well, and you are much faster and less likely to fall than if you try to walk.
I know the techniques as winter conditions in Denmark are mostly just ice (frozen rain). What might not be clear from the picture I posted is that the surface is very uneven and pockmarked with previous footprints that have thawed and refrozen.

Jean

Post by Jean »

You don't need to be able to do optimal slide for it to work. It just needs to be enough to Switch your brain into slide mode instead of walk mode. It probably doesn't work in your situation for reasons i don't see, but i estimate the expected environnemental cost to be lower if i insist that you try again, than if i just let you go buy something.

ducknald_don

Post by ducknald_don »

Looking at something like this: https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15893184/y ... s-15893184 makes me wonder if you could rig something up with string and wire.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

1) Scavenge a couple industrial floor mats and unfurl them out in front of you as you go.
2) Assume that you are going to fall and bundle yourself like a toddler playing hockey.
3) Bring a couple plastic trays with you and scoot along on your bottom over the ice.
4) Use bungee cords and duct tape to attach an umbrella-folding camping chair to your waist in a manner that will cause you to end up sitting in it if you fall backwards.
5) Walk off the trail where there is more solid purchase.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Trying to solve this problem myself, there are a lot of choices. My primary use case is trail running through the winter. The local system is busy and tends to be firmly packed. After a couple hours of research, I've ordered a pair of Kahtoola exospikes:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C2GMD6L

My runner up was the Kahtoola microspikes. I was very tempted to get both, but decided to start with the less aggressive option. I hate how expensive they are. However, avoiding even one fall is worth the price.