ERE1 vs ERE2, forum culture

Questions and comments
Scott 2

Re: ERE1 vs ERE2, forum culture

Post by Scott 2 »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:09 am
Is this ERE1 wang-measuring not ridiculous and even dangerous to the culture here? You're judging...
I am judging. This explains a lot about ERE2 threads failing my smell test. Something felt off about Daylen's posts, which I was extending to the entire topic. I've hidden them instead and will let it go. We're not going to be on the same page.

Reading more about what Jacob has in mind for ERE2, I think I'm into it.
AxelHeyst wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:09 am
And if Jacob is the only one around here qualified to talk about ERE2, then that's going to be a really boring conversation for him isn't it? Having diverse conversations with diverse people is part of the process of hashing this stuff out.
A couple decades into my time on the internet, I've learned it's essential to understand who you are listening to.

This is a common issue in forums, where someone wants to be an expert without doing the work. I was guilty of the same, in my early 20's. It detracted from my real life. I eventually figured it out and changed my behavior. As I developed more life experience, the desire greatly diminished.

I'm open to diversity, but theory has to rest on a foundation of practice. If you (@AxelHeyst) started telling me how to day trade, I'd nope out of that conversation too. On the other hand - when @7Wannabe5 talks about reaching someone during tutoring, I am eager to listen. She's been there.

The challenge of indulging everyone, is those who have walked the walk, will decide to stop wasting their energy. As @IlliniDave put it, they are careful about - "where I want to spend the shrinking reserve of my human capital."

daylen

Post by daylen »

How hard is it to talk to me directly about this? I feel like we are in grade school.. you have a bone to pick with me.. so what is it?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Okay, shoots fired. Shit happens, but it does get old after a while, right?

"What we have here is ... failure to communicate". Again.

Therein lies the problem and this is part of what ERE2 needs to figure out before ERE2 becomes a thing. There's a resolution via jargon already, but some don't like jargon, so it needs a resolution beyond jargon. And that is still work-in-progress.

bostonimproper

Post by bostonimproper »

@jacob Have not been following closely, but have you considered taking some of the ERE2 off-forum to a medium better suited for community brainstorming? Discord comes to mind.

Higher barrier to entry to access so it doesn’t interfere with typical ERE forum talk, more conversational, can even set up rooms with voice for synchronous discussion. Then when there are big milestones (a consolidated vision, etc), can bring back to the main forum for feedback amongst the broader community?

Just wanted to provide the suggestion; I’ve seen this model work effectively in some other communities I’m in.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

bostonimproper wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:55 pm
@jacob Have not been following closely, but have you considered taking some of the ERE2 off-forum to a medium better suited for community brainstorming? Discord comes to mind.

Higher barrier to entry to access so it doesn’t interfere with typical ERE forum talk, more conversational, can even set up rooms with voice for synchronous discussion. Then when there are big milestones (a consolidated vision, etc), can bring back to the main forum for feedback amongst the broader community?

Just wanted to provide the suggestion; I’ve seen this model work effectively in some other communities I’m in.
Considered and rejected. That actually makes things worse. See viewtopic.php?t=12568
Invention happens between the edges so walling off potential conversations quenches the network effect.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

bostonimproper wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:55 pm
This comment helped me realize what I find 'off' about the current discussion.
jacob wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:38 am
It's useful to remember that ERE2 stands for Emergent Renaissance Ecology. This means something literal.
I think we all understood that. I know I did. I thought everyone's lifestyles and connections here would continue to expand and evolve and we'd all learn from each about what worked. We could implement whatever ideas we liked in our own lives. You've stated that as the goal again in recent discussions. That's not what I see happening however. The sense one gets from reading the forum lately is that ERE2 is an intellectual exercise, and if you (and daylen, AH, et al) could just figure out the right combination of colors/types/etc, you could figure out how to make ERE2 work. While that might work -- no one is saying that SD or MBTI or developing frameworks is useless -- nothing about that feels 'emergent'. It strikes me as the opposite of emergent tbh.

The pushback you're getting isn't horizontal vs vertical IMO. It's the crowd who's been on board with the emergent approach all along getting tired of the sudden shift to a top-down approach (and then feeling like it's invading all aspects of ERE 1 & 2). I agree there's a paradigm shift in progress, but I'd argue it's a different one than the one you suggest.

So what feels 'wrong' to me, or where I think there was a wrong turn, is in the impatient force-fitting instead of letting emergence happen at its own pace. Maybe all the doomer talk and deep adaptation despair makes people feel like they can't wait for emergence to happen organically? Dunno, but it doesn't feel right (to me). Nor does the dismissiveness of forumites as lazy for not keeping up with all the intellectual stuff. Ego and iDave already pointed out that the people who are already deep in ERE have to be very choosy about how they spend their time. Many of us are choosing to spend most of our time on the 'doing' part. Ultimately, isn't that the point of all this?

daylen

Post by daylen »

Sure, we got a little excited with our new toys for a while. Now those who like to play with toys are moving on to new toys and taking what the old toys said with a grain of salt.

Perhaps not all the lessons have been learned from the old toys. If so, then it shouldn't be too difficult to go back and re-learn to play with those toys in a way that solves the problem at hand (or not).

One problem that hasn't really been "solved" is that the lens of "just do it" is likely steering our titanic towards an iceberg. I think it is safe to say that we need to both do and contemplate if we wish to turn in the right direction. Not so much a problem of who is doing and who is contemplating as is "what is the proper relationship between doing and contemplation?".

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

jennypenny wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:54 pm
So what feels 'wrong' to me, or where I think there was a wrong turn, is in the impatient force-fitting instead of letting emergence happen at its own pace. Maybe all the doomer talk and deep adaptation despair makes people feel like they can't wait for emergence to happen organically? Dunno, but it doesn't feel right (to me). Nor does the dismissiveness of forumites as lazy for not keeping up with all the intellectual stuff. Ego and iDave already pointed out that the people who are already deep in ERE have to be very choosy about how they spend their time. Many of us are choosing to spend most of our time on the 'doing' part. Ultimately, isn't that the point of all this?
It's just happening at different paces. Too fast for some, too slow for others. Or rather, it started a while ago for some and hasn't started yet for others. What I do know is that it ain't happening unless some go first and those who go first will always be resisted by those who aren't ready yet. Someone going first is part of the organic process.

The other part of viewtopic.php?p=265838#p265838 is that "the point" when it comes to theory vis-a-vis practice depends on where one is on the stairway.

If one has recently stepped vertically (months or few of years): practice is the most important
If one stepped vectically quite a while ago (many years or decades) and is getting increasingly bored: theory is the most important

Every journey is individual. The most normal thing---as in where the most time is spent---is horizontal movement. In the Budo Mind book, this is called a plateau, but that's mainly because people practice to get better and so horizontal movement takes on a bad connotation. After spending a long time practicing at the same level, one's framework suddenly changes, and the entire practice changes. Everything before now looks different.

It would indeed be a waste of time to think too much about theory if one has not practiced enough to reach diminishing returns on whatever the practice is. This would likely be the case if one has just retired. Or only started thinking in terms of systems with the last few years. Conversely, it would also be a waste of time to keep thinking about bucket-systems and portfolio allocations insofar it's never put into practice.

As far as I'm concerned, the ultimate point is to see what's there.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

Action without thought is done with trepidation
Thought without action is merely masturbation
What seems to be a cause for the greatest consternation
Is that nine or nineteen abasements precede every exaltation

As I look to the past and the future
If I wanted to unravel the suture
I can identify each individual’s greatest insecurity
Beneath each attempt to purge for the sake of purity

daylen

Post by daylen »

The line blurs quite significantly when dealing with messy human problems like mental illness, relationships, identity, crime, etc..

Theory boils down to a bunch of reconciled dichotomies really. Humans tend to polarize along these dimensions when the middle is excluded. Fleshing out the middle of these war zones is often helpful for alleviating polarization. Some polarization or tension "works itself out" but sometimes help is required.

black vs white, big vs small, republican vs democrat, old vs young, idealist vs realist, tactician vs theorist, slave vs master, criminal vs citizen, feeling vs thought, doing vs contemplation, etc

Being able to just sit and listen to people and their problems without polarizing against them is one of the most important skills in this life, I believe. No amount of theory can completely capture what every human is all about. Perhaps at some point "theory" becomes empathy or compassion training. If it hurts a little to feel antithetical to how another person lives their live then you may be pushed towards understanding their path and even deeply appreciating its existence.

Let yourself be open to the possibility that we are not all that different.. two faces of a hyper-life cube.. what to do other than survive?.. why not thrive in each others' embrace?

EDIT: meant to put in practice vs theory thread. oh well

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

I'm just working on some entry level combinatorics and a framework lends itself to deliberation:
Combinatorial problems can be described under one or more of the following interrelated headings.

Existence problems:
does there exists...? is it possible to ...?

Construction problems:
if ... exists, how can we construct it?

Enumeration problems:
how many... are there?

Optimization problems:
if there are several ..., which is best?
ERE1 is possible, can be constructed in many ways, and some are better than others according to various criteria chosen.

What do you think about ERE2 looked at through this lens?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

guitarplayer wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:48 pm
I'm just working on some entry level combinatorics and a framework lends itself to deliberation:
Interestingly, that's pretty much the first 3.5 of the CCCCCC list.
guitarplayer wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:48 pm
What do you think about ERE2 looked at through this lens?
I think we're still looking at the first 2.5-3. See viewtopic.php?t=12581 ... in order to figure out what the computational rules are.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

I've done a fair amount of research on the topics being discussed wrt ERE2. Frankly though, I have a Wikipedia level knowledge. I'm not sure I'm interested enough to try to learn more. This is probably partly because I have missed most of this discussion off forum. I have had to search diligently on this forum through dozens of threads to even get an idea of which models are being used in this discussion (eg colors). Maybe it would be a good idea to make a basic presentation with links and books.
jacob wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:59 am
A lot of the focus is on community development and figuring out how to convey ERE1 to people other than engineers, scientists, ... and other technical "anarcho/libertarian/capitalist" NT-types with an IQ of 120+. This is because a community of the current crop so to speak is too unbalanced to form much of a community. Thus there's a lot of models and frameworks for understanding the different values, cultures, and temperaments found in humanity.
This seems the fatal flaw of ERE 2. ERE 1 had the advantage of being new, sort of. I've posted books here that are 80 years old and have the same basic premise of ERE 1. It's not that the idea was new, but the medium and the "extremeness" of it kind-of was for modern audiences. This allowed ERE 1 to funnel humans in from multiple places. The last gen FI'ers, Green (traditional sense), Freegans, Permiculturists, Survivalists, and eventually the current gen of FI'ers who were looking to the next level (this was me). I'm sure others are missing.

Is ERE 1 the primary (only?) source of ERE 2? If ERE 2 requires a critical mass to accomplish anything, wouldn't its success be solely dependent on ERE 1 success given ERE 1's limited penetration? If so, shouldn't the primary question be how can ERE 2 promote success of ERE 1? Theories and models of its potential success aside, why bother if the critical mass has not yet been achieved?

It's particularly disconcerting to see potential ERE 1 humans leaving this forum because of ERE 2 ideas. Seems like cutting off the hand that feeds. Speaking in ERE 1 terms, If you are already losing your core audience, WL5-7 people, ouch. Maybe I'm missing something?

I am sure all of this is intellectually stimulating to its participants. I'm also really interested in it myself because of this:
jacob wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:59 am
Another focus is figuring out the post-FIRE life script, which frankly doesn't exist. Many don't know what to do with themselves after retiring. There seems to be three general options: tinkering, traveling, or going back to work. Again this reflects the fact that the density of EREmites is so low that everything has to be done as an individual. What could be done if there was a "we" and not just the current situation of spread out "mes".
As intriguing as this all is, if it's not possible without a critical mass of ERE 1, then whats the point? My question can be boiled down to... How will ERE 2 collaboration succeed unless it's primary focus is expanding ERE 1?

I guess it has the potential of a philosophy, in the sense someone in 100 years might learn from the concepts when ERE 1 is more common due to necessity. I have no desire to be the Nietzsche of next century.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

classical_Liberal wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:58 pm
I have had to search diligently on this forum through dozens of threads to even get an idea of which models are being used in this discussion (eg colors). Maybe it would be a good idea to make a basic presentation with links and books.
@Mathiverse and @Slevin (et al) made a page on the wiki to serve as a hub for all the terms and frameworks for anyone interested. Here's the thread where they built it. It's also been perma-stickied in all subforums under "New users: Good thing to know."

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

I think these are really good questions c_L.
classical_Liberal wrote:
Is ERE 1 the primary (only?) source of ERE 2? If ERE 2 requires a critical mass to accomplish anything, wouldn't its success be solely dependent on ERE 1 success given ERE 1's limited penetration? If so, shouldn't the primary question be how can ERE 2 promote success of ERE 1? Theories and models of its potential success aside, why bother if the critical mass has not yet been achieved?
Well, one criticism of ERE1 is that it's a bunch of individualists individually doing their individual things. This hyper-solo perception of ERE1 is, I think, something that turns a lot of people off who otherwise would be into it. So, perhaps, if a way of communicating a community/socially-oriented implementation of ERE, aka ERE2, can be pulled off, then those people who value community and social bonds will be attracted generally speaking to the overall ERE movement. Perhaps putting some meat on the bones of ERE2 IS the way to encourage more people to engage with the philosophies of ERE and attain that critical mass.
classical_Liberal wrote:
It's particularly disconcerting to see potential ERE 1 humans leaving this forum because of ERE 2 ideas. Seems like cutting off the hand that feeds. Speaking in ERE 1 terms, If you are already losing your core audience, WL5-7 people, ouch. Maybe I'm missing something?
It is disconcerting. For myself, the anti-ERE2 sentiment was a surprise to me. I totally get the anti-jargon sentiment, but I don't fully understand the anti-community/social bonds sentiment. It is very concerning! Certainly no one who was excited to talk about ERE2 thought their conversations would upset people to the point of leaving. I'll speak for myself, but I know I'm not the only one to be at least a little horrified and confused about how much apparent bad blood the discussions have created. How long has this community criticized itself for being too insular and too individualistic? I get why the way we were having the discussions caused upset (totally legit) - but I don't understand why the aim of the conversations also caused upset. This is what I don't understand. It takes me a while to grok things, though.

I don't know how much of the issue is that the message got so wrapped up in the jargon and exclusionary dynamics that were going on that it just all got jumbled together, or what. I'm a little gun-shy about saying anything more about ERE2, because I'm now worried about turning people off to it in a way I don't understand. I'd really like to understand better people's distaste of it.

That said, I'm not sure how many people are leaving, and how many people are arriving. Ideally, no one feels disenfranchised and leaves, and we just have new people coming in. But inevitably some people will leave, and that sucks. But are we really experiencing a fatal net drain? Or are we going through some transition pains? I don't know.
classical_Liberal wrote:
As intriguing as this all is, if it's not possible without a critical mass of ERE 1, then whats the point? My question can be boiled down to... How will ERE 2 collaboration succeed unless it's primary focus is expanding ERE 1?
I honestly don't think this ERE2 stuff is very far away from seeing some real-world experiences, and when it begins to happen, it's not going to look like all this rocket science framework jargon stuff. It sounds like a ton of theory right now, but it's maybe akin to tuning in to the inner monologue of a nerd at a high school dance psyching himself up to ask a girl to dance with him. Right? Like, it's mostly a bunch of pretty individualistic nerds trying to figure out how to come together and 'intermingle their WoGs' ( :shock: ;) ) in some specific way. When it actually happens.. it'll just be a thing.

ETA: but to maybe answer your questions more directly: I think the recent discussions about all this has daylit the need for some reconciliation, understanding, listening, etc. Imo that is all in the process of happening right now.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:01 am
@Mathiverse and @Slevin (et al) made a page on the wiki to serve as a hub for all the terms and frameworks for anyone interested. Here's the thread where they built it. It's also been perma-stickied in all subforums under "New users: Good thing to know."
Thanks to @mathiverse ans @Slevin. This would have saved me hours of ERE 2 research if it has been properly posted. I am not a new user, and would have no reason to look at the wiki. Perhaps this was done haphazardly? Again I suggest this be posted in ERE 2 threads as a base point of discussion.
AxelHeyst wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:20 am
Well, one criticism of ERE1 is that it's a bunch of individualists individually doing their individual things. This hyper-solo perception of ERE1 is, I think, something that turns a lot of people off who otherwise would be into it.
Interesting thoughts, who are those people? are they up to ERE 1 WL7? are you up to ERE 1 WL7? if so please describe it. Interdependence is stronger than independence, but only as strong as the weakest link. I would consider one ERE WL7 individual better off than ten ERE 1 WL4 or 5 folks claiming to be something more as a group.

I have often fought for more combined efforts in ERE, but the biggest problem is the lack of humans involved. Too few, too far apart. While temporary synergistic events take place, overall ERE is short of people. Per my previous quote of @jacob, ERE 2 needs to learn to find other types of people to grow.
AxelHeyst wrote:
but I don't understand why the aim of the conversations also caused upset. This is what I don't understand. It takes me a while to grok things, though.... I'd really like to understand better people's distaste of it.
Again when did you reach ERE WL7? how are you doing it? Why should anyone listen to you about ERE 2 when you haven't accomplished ERE 1?
AxelHeyst wrote:
It sounds like a ton of theory right now, but it's maybe akin to tuning in to the inner monologue of a nerd at a high school dance psyching himself up to ask a girl to dance with him. Right? Like, it's mostly a bunch of pretty individualistic nerds trying to figure out how to come together and 'intermingle their WoGs' ( :shock: ;) ) in some specific way. When it actually happens.. it'll just be a thing.
It IS a ton of useless theory right now. This sounds like fired twitter employees rants. Yeah it'll just be a thing if we want it to be a thing. It takes a lot of luck for that to work.

If not enough ERE 1 folks are willing to listen to ERE 2 ideas, like previously stated, you have cut off the hand that feeds you. Wghere else can anone go to find ERE 2 folks to start an idea that rewquired more ERE density? If it's such a good idea there should be luck someone else too. Rather there's needs to me. @Jacob and the fan boys of this should consider that it may kill ERE 1, when that is the exact opposite of the goals. Just because a movement has failed to build enough momentum at phase one, does not mean it should move on to phase two. Maybe it's time to refocus on phase one? just a realistic thought.

But, it's not my movement to let fail. I'll do fine with if it does fail and without this site. Like a stupid individualist of ERE 1. Poor me, but I think that's resilience.

Edited for clarity and to add: It's possible I just do not understand, Is ERE 2 just a different way to reach ERE1, hence a bunch of ERE 1 is not a prerequisite for success?
Last edited by classical_Liberal on Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

daylen

Post by daylen »

All thoughts come from somewhere real.

Ego

Post by Ego »

The elephant in the room is that ERE has a leader who:

-wants to create a large, emergent movement but wants to do it with text in a rapidly tiktokifying world.

-loves the fact that he is an introvert, believes it is impossible to change and would rather think about complex theories than talk to people.

-realizes that if the movement is successful it will cause large changes and the leader will be a target for those who do not like the changes.

Leaders of emergent movements of the past were dynamic and could move people emotionally. They were able say the things people felt but could not articulate themselves. They were tireless in their desire to connect with others themselves, connect people to one another and spread the word. Most importantly, they were willing to sacrifice themselves for the cause.

Our leader is not that person. I don't blame him. Who would want to be that person?

I believe that no matter how hard we try, all of the colors, levels and theories are not going to reveal a solution to this unsolvable problem and fit the square peg in the round hole.

I could be wrong.
Last edited by Ego on Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

daylen

Post by daylen »

I see it as it already working everywhere to reveal problem/solution pairs. An ongoing process of being able to take people back to what the "original" peg and hole were.

If cultures are like liquids, the internet and long distance travel are stirring the pot more chaotically than ever. Perhaps the tiktokifying, youtubing, twittering, etc. is adaptive for young people trying to parse out the liquids they are suspended in.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

classical_Liberal wrote:
This seems the fatal flaw of ERE 2. ERE 1 had the advantage of being new, sort of. I've posted books here that are 80 years old and have the same basic premise of ERE 1. It's not that the idea was new, but the medium and the "extremeness" of it kind-of was for modern audiences. This allowed ERE 1 to funnel humans in from multiple places. The last gen FI'ers, Green (traditional sense), Freegans, Permiculturists, Survivalists, and eventually the current gen of FI'ers who were looking to the next level (this was me). I'm sure others are missing.
ERE1 is fundamentally a new framework of very old ideas. Thoreau meets systems theory. Same premise. But new way of looking at it(*). IIRC, HenryJason once called me a neotranscendentalist. I had to look it up, but that was pretty astute and not far off the mark.

(*) Instead of copying Thoreau and moving into a cabin in the woods. (Maybe it wasn't about the cabin.)

Convincing people to look differently at the same things is difficult and almost impossible. The reason I'm not losing my mind over this [conflict] is that I've experienced it several times before. It was basically the same as when talking about "savings rates in excess of 50%" and how "spending less didn't automatically imply poverty or sacrifice" in the combined face of early-retirement.org, bogleheads, and pretty much the rest of the personal finance community with a handful of exceptions back in 2010.

As late as 2016 we had discussions on the forum about the difference between ERE and FIRE and what systems theory actually is. (It's not a system for optimizing financial accounts as some insisted.) As late as 2020, until the COVID lockdowns, we still had debates about whether to "just make more money" or "build resilience with skills".

If you step much outside the ERE forums and the more hardcore parts of the personal finance + the permaculture adjacents, etc. sphere, it's not hard to find comments like "I have a degree in business and finance and ERE is the worst I've ever seen. It is totally useless and unnecessarily complicating basic finance. Instead I recommend 'A simple guide to getting rich with crypto' and 'How to stop spending money you don't have'."

On the other hand, ERE1 has also had a lot of influence as the ideas trickled down or out. Before ERE, people definitely did not think of FI as a matter of savings rates. Credit the popularity of that change to MMM's "Simple math" post. Keep in mind that he originally referred back to the diagrams from chapter 7 in the ERE book. It's my hope that ultimately, someone will write a "Simple WOGs of resilience" post.

I'm absolutely fine with me (some of us) just being the intellectual spearhead of new (ERE2) ideas. I'd rather run an ERE style space, which I think of as a grad school/research lab than an MMM, GRS, or reddit-type space. I'm more interested in making the trail longer and exploring the unknown than making it wider. Let others who are interested in that make the path more comfortable.

BTW, this is not about creating a moat, as some have thought, but more that creating quick reference guides or reminding people for the umptenth time what "yellow" or "INTJ" or "SWR" means just takes time and energy away from things that are more interesting to me. As Sclass noted, I'm not a jukebox that just plays the good old hits over and over.
classical_Liberal wrote:
Are you talking about people or ideas? I'm talking about ideas.

To compare and contrast.

An individual effort like ERE1 requires basically one person (that was me) to come up with a new way of organizing the existing knowledge. The ideas that formed ERE1 is something I've personally experimented with since 2000 trying out different things. Based on using my own life as a laboratory, I could formalize this into the ERE book and describe a systems theory framework for "lifestyle design".

Systems theory is not unique to ERE1. It is also found in other fields. I can walk into the biology or the philosophy departments or certain investment groups. And people will understand the way I'm thinking about things.(*) You'll also find a higher degree of systems thinkers on the ERE forums---because this is what ERE has attracted(**)---but not everybody here is a systems thinker.

(*) Note the kinds of podcasts I tend to appear on these years. They're mostly outside the FIRE/permaculture/survival spheres.
(**) Compared to the "analyze and optimize"-thinkers that dominate the rest of the FIRE sphere.

A collective effort like ERE2 requires several people to come up with a new way of organizing systems thinkers. That is, people with ideas. This is not something one person can do on their own with personal experiments. It requires collective experiments. Talking to other groups (outside the ERE forums) where systems thinking and questioning existing paradigms (the water the fish swim in) is common. Connecting people within the ERE forums beyond just writing walls of texts. Because there's already at least a handful of regular posters here who grok systems thinking, it was easy to start a subforum for ERE2 here. Some have suggested that I start a new blog on substack, but that would turn it back into a solo-project and it's basically impossible for a single person to come up with emergent patterns for a group.

Much of the discussion in ERE2 is paradigmatic in nature. In retrospect, it's not surprising that it rubs people the wrong way to suddenly find themselves assigned to this or that paradigm as an explanation of this or that. It's like telling someone who thinks they're a beautifully unique person that their trials and tribulations are 95% explained by the fact that they're an XYZ-type or ABC-color or worse that it's because they're suffering typical stage N problems with N being a small number. In defense of doing this, the enthusiasm was due to having discovered maps (theory) of the territory (practice), which lifted the fog on a lot of previously unresolved issues like "why do people return to work despite being FI". ERE1 has no answer for this, but more importantly no way of even asking the question. Whereas ERE2 does have a way of asking that question.
classical_Liberal wrote:

TBH, it's not like we haven't been [in this conflict type] before. Perhaps it's more obvious the longer one has been on the forum. I've showed up here for more than 4000 days.

Some people are more into practice (applied theory) and some people are more into theory (abstracted practice). For my part, I don't really care all that much about what someone has been doing lately. I never ask [how are you doing? what are you up to?] and I rarely tell myself. So I simply skim through the posts where people describe their various projects, travels, babies, hobbies, deals, or changes in net worth. Conversely, I'm interested in theory. I'll make a point of looking up new terms and occasionally head to the library and come back with a stack of books to learn.

I believe these two preferences can co-exist simply by mostly ignoring stuff that they don't care about.

Clearly, though, there are recurring (again going all the way back to the beginning of the forum) complaints that the forum has become too much this or too much that. It's almost always formulated as a subtle demand that "if things don't change to my preferences, then I'm leaving". My response is generally that "the forum is whatever you make of it". The forum is not a supermarket with a customer complaints department. Nobody here is employed to make sure that consumers get what they want. If someone thinks there are too few travel pictures and too much spiral dynamics, the solution would be to start posting more travel pictures instead of complaining about spiral dynamics taking over and leaving/lurking when it doesn't happen autmagically. Because it won't.
classical_Liberal wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, the collaboration is already underway. There was enough critical mass to get it started. I'm kinda happy with that so my interest is in the collaboration. People are free to join it. It's not a closed club. Anyone is also free to put their effort in expanding ERE1 if that's their interest. I've been expanding ERE1 for 15 years. I think I've served my time and ERE1 is at the point where I can focus on the next thing. Again, I'm not an ERE1 jukebox.

And so, this goes back to the point that the ERE complaints department makes on a semi-regular basis.

If you think it would be great to have a page that describes all the esoteric terminology, the answer is to make one and post it. (Note that when someone finally did it, it was up and running within 48 hours.)
If you want more ERE1 people, start helping out in the WL4-5 and WL5-6 groups.
If you want more projects, start posting pictures of your workshop or garden.
If you want more stories, start telling stories about the interesting people you met.
If you want more budgets, ...
classical_Liberal wrote:

I guess it has the potential of a philosophy, in the sense someone in 100 years might learn from the concepts when ERE 1 is more common due to necessity. I have no desire to be the Nietzsche of next century.
I do.