What is your eco-friendly bank?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
ben2000s

What is your eco-friendly bank?

Post by ben2000s »

I proudly called Chase bank to close my credit card and to tell them that it is because of their fossil fuel funding. I am closing my savings account this week. I am using Capital One because Amalgamated Bank didn't work out for me. What eco-friendly bank do you use?

Gilberto de Piento

Re: What is your eco-friendly bank?

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I use a couple of local credit unions. I never thought about whether they are eco friendly so I can't say much about this but it think it's an interesting question. I'm trying to figure out how a bank funds fossils fuels. I'm not up to speed on banking. They use customer deposited funds to invest in oil companies?

bostonimproper

Post by bostonimproper »

Depends on what you are optimizing for.

You can look for black-owned credit unions near you. They tend to provide lending facilities for the historically underbanked.

On the other side of the spectrum, you can self-custody stablecoins in your own wallet and not let your capital be lent out without your consent at all.

Edit: for what it’s worth, there’s a lot of greenwashing in the ESG space, so I’d treat most financial institutions which purport they are eco-friendly with great skepticism.
Last edited by bostonimproper on Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Does the OP question pertain to the E of ESG ... or?

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

bostonimproper wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:46 pm
You can look for black-owned credit unions near you. They tend to provide lending facilities for the historically underbanked.

…..

Edit: for what it’s worth, there’s a lot of greenwashing in the ESG space, so I’d treat most financial institutions which purport they are eco-friendly with great skepticism.
Tying these two thoughts together, make sure your black-owned credit unions are not investing in greenwashing scams.

FTX Crypto Fraudsters Targeted Poor Black Neighborhoods In PR-Lobbying Effort