Big Apple Ben is getting rich $$$$$$$

Say hello!!
ben2000s

Big Apple Ben is getting rich $$$$$$$

Post by ben2000s »

I grew up in a middle-class home in NYC where my parents placed an importance on education, money and success. From childhood until recently, I dreamed of a rich and powerful lifestyle. When I was an 18 year old making minimum wage, I saved up for a Ferragamo Wallet. I felt excited, rich, and a little superior to my peers. After a week, the happiness and the excitement about the product unexpectedly waned. A few months later, I bought a Ferragamo belt. The same thing happened! I realized that contentment and interest in luxury items evaporates within a few weeks of purchase. Unfortunately, the realization did not lead to behavior change.

My wasteful post-graduation lifestyle consisted of purchases such as a seahorse aquarium, expensive trips and an unused $250 flight ticket to Paris. Domestically, I bought paper and plastic dishware to avoid dishes, and ate candies, meats and cheeses every day. I impulsively bought items I had no time, and would subsequently dispose. My debt-free lifestyle was financially-sustainable and I was happy. Why should I change?

Pain is a great motivator. I started an unpleasant and toxic job, and craved escape. I ran across Mr. Money Mustache through Tim Ferriss and I learned young people could save enough to remove the need to work.* My anxiety disordered fell in love with FIRE and ERE because massive savings and life skills would derisk an unstable future. Most importantly I never realized the opportunity cost of not saving money, and it was HUGE. I sell my most precious asset, time, in exchange for money. NO ONE cares about my time except me. If others cared, then they would confront me over my financial waste.

Today, I am proud I save at least 50% of my income because of lifestyle changes. I worked with a nutritionist to remove farm meat, dairy and candy, so I can be frugal, healthy and humane. I buy 2nd hand through ebay, and eliminate most impulse buying. Therapy helps because I can use introspective techniques to avoid seeking approval through capitalist consumption. Also, mastery of my emotions allows me to make smart financial decisions.

My next step is to lower my food waste. I want to convert some of my dollar savings into stored food through: https://www.amazon.com/Year-Without-Gro ... 0209&psc=1. I want to stop resting on my laurels- e.g. I saved so much therefore I am justified to overpay on some item. There are some chores I still refuse to do because I dislike them like my taxes and getting my money from insurance companies.

My goal: I want to first be able to take care of myself and then use all my earnings after FI to fund important charities, and do whatever work I want to do.

Shout out to Jacob Lund Fisker and Mr Money Mustache. You've educated me to become richer, happier, more skilled and more ethical. But most importantly, you've guided to on a path to freedom.

*(To be fair, I should have also worked with a career coach earlier like I am doing now. It is black-and-white thinking if we think we either live with a miserable job/career or achieve FI.)
Last edited by ben2000s on Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AxelHeyst

Re: Big Apple Ben is getting rich $$$$$$$

Post by AxelHeyst »

Welcome, and great going on the SR and mindset shift! Looking forward to following along.

grundomatic

Post by grundomatic »

Welcome (again), and nice work removing yourself from consumer-luxury culture. Many of the food prep/storage threads around here are aged. I bet some current forum members would be excited to follow along with someone building their bulk food storage and prep solutions in real time.

ben2000s

Post by ben2000s »

I took some time off from ERE because I was being too hard on myself and stopped making it fun. I found if I march too aggressively towards my goals then I get anxious and burn out.

I am starting by lowering my grocery bill to almost 0 by going to the office where there is free lunch. There is so much left over food that gets thrown out. So I bring tupperware and take it home. I could come to work daily and probably go without groceries for a month, which would be an interesting challenge.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

First paragraph: I was too hard on myself. Second paragraph: I'll challenge myself to spend $0 on food this month.
... Don't be too hard on yourself with the grocery bill.

If I may add something from my perspective (45 years old, like 80%-90% FI and enjoying a parttime job): indeed, don't be too hard on yourself. It's great to save up money and to have some savings as safety net, buffer, money in the bank is something that allows you to take opportunities, something that allows freedom. Definitely keep saving, keep building your flexibility. But... I would also try to build up a life that you truly want to live. Maintain your health (maybe the lunch food at work isn't the best for that?). Spend money on things that keep your health and mental health up. Spend some money to enjoy your life now.

ben2000s

Post by ben2000s »

DutchGirl wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:52 pm
First paragraph: I was too hard on myself. Second paragraph: I'll challenge myself to spend $0 on food this month.
... Don't be too hard on yourself with the grocery bill.

If I may add something from my perspective (45 years old, like 80%-90% FI and enjoying a parttime job): indeed, don't be too hard on yourself. It's great to save up money and to have some savings as safety net, buffer, money in the bank is something that allows you to take opportunities, something that allows freedom. Definitely keep saving, keep building your flexibility. But... I would also try to build up a life that you truly want to live. Maintain your health (maybe the lunch food at work isn't the best for that?). Spend money on things that keep your health and mental health up. Spend some money to enjoy your life now.
Thank you for your perspective. You're correct. Balance is important. It can be tempting to optimize a number at the expense of everything. Appreciate the reminder and support.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

...and where are my manners? (Nowhere... Trust me, my parents did their best but some didn't stick).

Welcome! Great to have you around!

ben2000s

Post by ben2000s »

I found that looking ahead is a good way to save money and avoid unnecessary waste. If it is super hot out, I foresee bringing a bottle of water and some snacks. I think getting in the habit of thinking ahead is a really good way to avoid expenses.

I initially tried what Jacob does which is not having a budget, but that can suck because then when I spend money, I sometimes feel bad. Optimizing for 1 thing can lead to stress and unhealthy behavior. I am thinking of having a budget. I'll just allocate money categorically and guilt free.

ben2000s

Post by ben2000s »

I just bought a used stainless steal coffee percolater to replace my drip coffee maker which contains plastic. This should be healthier. Proud of myself for buying used.
I made a whatsapp group to serve as a lending club for my building.

ben2000s

Post by ben2000s »

I am continuing to work on my cooking skills. I cooked Turkmen pilaf today which came out okay. I printed out flyers for a lending club for my building and will distribute them under neighbors' doors later. My friend is moving to a house nearby and we agreed to make an outdoor fall garden and grow vegetables. I also have a container now for compost which I either dump in the river or drop off at a composting site.

ben2000s

Post by ben2000s »

I just signed up for a CSA because I got inspiration from the book Radical Simplicity by Jim Merkel. The vegetable produce is organic and local. While I could eat slightly cheaper by just taking food from the office or buying non-organic at the supermarrket, my health and the environment are more important. I'd like to eventually stop eating single-packaged foods. I noticed a lot of my garbage/waste is food packaging. This is probably impossible but I think I could lower the amount significantly.

ben2000s

Post by ben2000s »

Cooking seems to be the best way I can save money and be kinder to the planet. I eat out more when I get tired of the food I am making at home. If I become a better cook then I can make a bigger variety of dishes and enjoy eating at home more. I'd also like to make way less plastic waste when cooking, but that limits what you can cook. It takes time learning all of this. Youtube has been a helpful resource.

ben2000s

Post by ben2000s »

I got so much organic produce from my CSA pickup. Definitely a financially a smart move along with a healthy move. I cooked a bunch. The produce tasted amazing.

ben2000s

Post by ben2000s »

It has been a few weeks since I posted. My cooking skills have improved tremendously due to books I got from the library. I also purchased a traditional straight razor so I never need to buy a replacement blade again; I just need to sharpen the razor with my whetstone and leather strop.

ben2000s

Post by ben2000s »

My goal is to lower my food packaging waste. Most of my waste will ideally be composted. I am first going through my packaged food and then will try to buy less packaged foods. I think this will get easier when I improve my cooking skills.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

This is a great goal because as you lower packaging, you will necessarily also lower processed food, which is both unhealthier and more expensive because it has value added over raw ingredients. What is some low-hanging fruit you could tackle first?

ben2000s

Post by ben2000s »

ertyu wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:09 pm
This is a great goal because as you lower packaging, you will necessarily also lower processed food, which is both unhealthier and more expensive because it has value added over raw ingredients. What is some low-hanging fruit you could tackle first?
Well my CSA is providing a lot of vegetables so it is changing my diet to be largely vegetables. Once I go through the canned fish, I am going to get fish from the fish counter and bring my own packaging. I also need to get dried beans instead of all the canned beans I get. I think bulk rice and beans are good ideas too.

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

ben2000s wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:22 pm
I also need to get dried beans instead of all the canned beans I get. I think bulk rice and beans are good ideas too.
I know its not exactly the correct comparison for you, but to all my non ERE friends in their 20s I always point out that versus versus chipotle (just reasonably priced and not ungodly unhealthy quick serve food, at $17 for 2 meals / day), a medium tier rice cooker and instant pot pay themselves back in less than a week. You can get away with just the instant pot as well, as it can do both rice and beans, it just means you can't do the rice and beans at the same time (very important to me).

grundomatic

Post by grundomatic »

I do a one pot meal that cooks black beans and brown rice at the same time in the instant pot, so it's possible. It isn't culinary perfection, but it gets the job done. Even my meat-eating, non-frugal friends eat it up, so it must at least be passable. The instant pot has changed my life, so I second new EREers getting one.

ben2000s

Post by ben2000s »

grundomatic wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:40 am
I do a one pot meal that cooks black beans and brown rice at the same time in the instant pot, so it's possible. It isn't culinary perfection, but it gets the job done. Even my meat-eating, non-frugal friends eat it up, so it must at least be passable. The instant pot has changed my life, so I second new EREers getting one.
What is the recipe?