Digital Library Resources

Your favorite books and links
Ego

Digital Library Resources

Post by Ego »

I have library cards from three nearby cities and just logged-in to one that I rarely use. It was surprising to find that during the pandemic they added many online resources to their selection including the Wall Street Journal, Consumer Reports, Coursera and many more. They also grant access to two movie streaming services, Kanopy and Biblio+. Kanopy provides access to The Great Courses for free. I regularly read the New York Times using my library access code.

Does your library offer access to anything you find useful?

ertyu

Re: Digital Library Resources

Post by ertyu »

mine doesn't, but this is awesome. i would very gladly pay for a us library card if it came with all that.

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

ertyu wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:30 pm
i would very gladly pay for a us library card if it came with all that.
Even better ertyu, public libraries are free at point of service since they are paid for via taxes. The ones Ego are talking about are these free public libraries.

There are some private libraries that one pays a yearly subscription for.

Chris

Post by Chris »

My previous library system offered digital access to Chilton auto repair guides.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

My local library system has all kinds of digital content. Audio books i check out, play and return online, no late fees, no trips. Lots of movies, both online, and DVDs.

And recently they added online access to several dozen databases. I have current and historic databases of many newspapers, scientific journals, automotive repair (so you don't need a factory service manual) all kinds of stuff. Hard to find if you aren't looking, but searching the library website is worth the time.

I pay for it with property taxes, so I try to get use from it.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Not digital - but my local library processes passport applications. That surprised me and was very convenient.

They offer video games, movies, electronic devices (kindle, laptop, video cameras, kill-a-watt), museum passes, 3D printing, movie making. All sort of crazy stuff you'd never expect. It's a community center.

We mostly use the e-books and audio books, since those don't require traveling to the library. Somewhere in the range of $100-$200 from our property taxes goes to fund the service. Our household probably consumes 100 books per year, so that feels pretty reasonable.

At some point I intend to follow up on their reciprocal lending relationships, to see if I can get access to more digital content.