Bike Lock?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Ego

Re: Bike Lock?

Post by Ego »

Sclass wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:41 pm
A good vintage lock commonly found used is the American Series 700.
Good tip. They installed cheap locks on all of the lockers at the Y and have experienced a lot of theft so I have been bringing my own and using the old school lockers in the hallway. I have been using this America 5200. Now that I know I will watch for a 700. Thanks!

prudentelo

Post by prudentelo »

You cannot stop someone stealing your bike only make other guy bike easier to steal

Does not take much. Survived five years student town putting chain lock through frame and wheel. But not high crime area other than bike theft.

If you live in high crime area with very active bike thiefs, cheapest way to pay "bike thief tax" to buy cheap bike and replace when stolen. Consider biuying stolen bike

recal

Post by recal »

Quick plug for OnGuard locks. I find them cheaper (and heavier) than the Kryptonite locks, but they're more bang for your buck. I think I have an OnGuars Brute/Brutus and I live in the Bay Area so... I'm pretty serious about locks.

Also, buying bike stuff used is awesome, but don't buy looks used.

Ego

Post by Ego »

recal wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:44 am
Also, buying bike stuff used is awesome, but don't buy looks used.
Why?

recal

Post by recal »

Ego wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:55 am
Why?
Caveat: Advice is from someone living in a notorious bike thief city.

Two reasons:

1) Key replacement warranty. Good locks will last a decade, many even two or three, if a thief never comes for them. Keeping the card that lets you call the manufacturer for more keys is vital.

2) The more important reason... internal damage. You have no idea how many times the lock has been aggressively dropped, abused, and is just rotting on the inside while the outside looks totally fine. It could be extremely weak but look fine.

I would only consider buying a very high quality model (not brand, model) used with packaging, but I'd definitely look over it a lot more carefully than when I've bought tools and stuff used.

C40

Post by C40 »

For a while I was riding around town on a fairly nice bike, so I bought one of those really thick and heavy chains (perhaps Kryptonite) and a really sturdy/thick/heavy kryptonite lock. I forget which exactly, but not a long U-lock.

I wore the chain and lock around my waist while riding. Yeah it is heavy, but in that position it is comfortable, and you don't have to worry about scratching up the bike or whatever as I think mounting a chain to a bike frame will be awkward. The weight is not really a problem. You aren't doing a hill climb time trial with it.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

After fiddling with the U-lock today, I'd say ease of use is an added bonus of the chain lock. I'm sure I'll get better, but locking rack + tire + frame + cable through front tire is annoying. I dropped $57 on the U-lock and cable though, so this is my answer for awhile.

Coming out of the gym today, there was a second bike locked to the rack. Just a thin cable through the front tire. Nicer bike than mine too.