ffj's Early Retirement (round 2)

Where are you and where are you going?
henrik

Re: ffj's Early Retirement (round 2)

Post by henrik »

Hey, glad to see you back! Only just discovered it and had to go and reset my password just like someone else upthread.
ffj wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:44 am
If you want to learn this discipline then just move from one residence to another!
We have a saying around here (or maybe just in my family) that is easiest to summarise as "2 house moves = 1 house fire". This is meant in terms of getting rid of accumulated stuff:)

ffj

Post by ffj »

My fire buddy! Good to hear from you Henrik. I didn't realize you were still around, what a pleasant surprise. And thanks for the welcome back. You guys continue to amaze me with your kind words.

I've had a very busy day today so I will leave you with an image of a creature of which you probably aren't familiar. Now my dog is a hunter, and you don't realize the amount of wildlife that is around you until you have a dog that will rustle up every animal he can find, including a skunk a couple of months ago that baptized him for his ignorance. It took literally a month to get the smell down to even be around him so when I spotted him with this latest creature I thought we were ready for round two but to my surprise it was just a possum, what a blessing. And what an unfortunate looking creature:

Poor thing is so ugly you can't help but like him. And yes, I made sure the dog didn't harm him. Their defense mechanism is to play dead with their mouth open, hence the term "playing possum". Their intelligence unfortunately matches their looks but they are marsupials, which is kind of cool.

O.K. off to bed, very tired. Cheers.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

ffj wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:27 am
@IDave

I have been to East Tennessee many times and love it. In fact, the whole East Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia area is beautiful and if I didn't live where I live I would move into that area, with a strong preference for Western North Carolina. Beautiful country.

One of the investments I would like to make in the future is land incidentally. You can't replicate it and unless something totally unforeseen occurs, it will increase in value especially with increased population. ...
I lived up in upper East Tennessee (the so-called Tri Cities area) for almost ten years and remember thinking at the time that it was a place I really saw no reason to leave and a good area to retire in. Then my employer closed the facility I worked in at the time and off to Alabama I went. A number of colleagues who weren't East Tenn natives and were scattered to the winds after the closure made their way back either upon retirement or when able to work remotely. I was very close to SW Virginia and western North Carolina both and they are all hidden gems of the Eastern US IMO.

I too have been looking at undeveloped land as a diversifier (and potential future home) although I've temporarily tabled that search due to rickety economic conditions. About the only upside to all this is high interest rates favor cash buyers. Of course I'm looking at remote properties so other than building a home in a quiet place surrounded by natural environment there's not much development or money-making potential--just an alternate way to park assets. And I'd like for a large portion of it to be wetland that I can bequeath to one of the regional land trusts assuming I don't have to cash it out at some point. Good luck in that pursuit.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@IDave

Part of me has a strong urge to preserve land if I have the power to do so, and the property in question is begging to become a land trust. If I could get it reasonable enough I would make a nature preserve out of it. It hasn't been surveyed in a long time but it is at least 150 acres and maybe up to 200. It's a beautiful valley with mountains on either side covered in trees. It also has a couple of streams and an abandoned house and barns that are falling in from neglect.

It has been logged recently but it was a select cutting which is the least damaging. That fact doesn't bother me at all as forests need thinning periodically and the seller has made money already, which could make her more amenable to negotiate a price. One of the characteristics that I loved about the place is that you can't hear anything other than natural sounds made by nature. That's so rare these days where I live.

But I also would consider the property as a hedge against future issues such as population and diversification of assets. It's remote but not crazily so, and future improvement in utilities and roads are coming.

We think alike though, and I hope you get your wetlands. So good luck to you too.

ffj

Post by ffj »

Well, I've been Apple'd.

I have a bank of photos I'd like to share of my recent projects as well as Youtube endeavors but I made the mistake of updating my iPhone. Now this new phone takes great photos and I've already shot quite a few images but it's operating software refuses to play nice with my old Mac computer. When I try to import photos it shoots an error message stating it can't read the files.

So I went to the internet and found the only way to circumvent this problem is to airdrop, which I can't do, or use a camera with a SIM card and upload the old fashioned way. But I don't have a camera with that old tech and plus I don't want to carry an extra device wherever I go.

It's looking like I will be buying a new desktop computer which is a damn shame as my old Mac works pretty well. The iMovie needs updating but everything else works perfectly for what I do.

The reason I updated my phone was because I had cracked the screen, well I actually broke it :D , and I was afraid water would get in and fry the phone. And when I went to the store they said if I fixed the screen it would be an even trade for the new 14, which sounded fair to me. Until I couldn't transfer any of my photos! This is an irritating position to be in, and while it would be kind of cool to upgrade, what do I do with the old computer that works just fine?

Oh well, life is good otherwise. First world problems.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

The photos on new phones are in a new format to save space. You might just need to convert them to a JPEG or something like that. Have you tried calling Apple's customer service? They are quite helpful with stuff like this, even when I'm working with pretty old tech.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

an app might exist for this. reddit will know.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@WRC

I tried that early on with no success. I have not called Apple because I've been reading their message boards from people with this exact same problem with no solutions that pertain to me offered.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254189499

@ertyu

I abhor Reddit. But if you find something let me know. :)

Thank you two though for reaching out.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

the indians appear to have figured it out apparently you can set up your camera to take pictures in the old format

have not tested this solution bc i don't have an iphone14.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@ertyu

Yeah, I've tried converting them to JPEG already but it still won't work.

My computer is over 10 years old with an antiquated operating system. I recently saw the exact same computer on Craigslist for sale for $60 and like mine, there was nothing wrong with it. It's kind of amazing really that something I paid a hefty price for back in the day ( a mere ten years ago ) that still works as designed has been reduced to pocket change in value.

For many years I collected old woodworking tools, some well over a hundred years old, and with a little tune-up they still work as well as they did when they were manufactured. Talk about BIFL.

One of my goals is to learn how to properly sharpen a hand saw. I own probably 40 to 50 old saws as well as a nice saw blade holder designed for sharpening and it would be relaxing and satisfying to get them operational again. Many of them are and were top quality for the time, with most of them crosscut but more than a few rip saws also.

Something to think about as I throw my old Mac in the dumpster.

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

ffj wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:58 am

Something to think about as I throw my old Mac in the dumpster.
If it's still fully operational and you're only unhappy with the OS, you could try installing Linux on it. Macs hardware is not super-Linux friendly, but, with model this old, you should have a good chance of it working just fine. I've once put Linux on my 2013 Macbook Pro and, apart from some minor glitches (external monitor not working after waking up from sleep IIRC), everything was fine.
Or, for that matter, there's a good chance the machine just supports Windows (via bootcamp).

ffj

Post by ffj »

@zbigi

I was being a little hyperbolic, but if I do replace my current computer I won't be keeping the old one. I have worked very hard to de-clutter my life these past two years and I'm already a little resentful that I will have to find a home for the old hardware.

Several years ago I tried to give away a perfectly functioning television with all the current HDMI inputs for the time. Now it was big compared to todays standards, but there was NOTHING wrong with it. I tried the Salvation Army thrift store first: refused. Then I went to Goodwill: refused. None of my friends or family wanted it. Finally, I went to an electronic repair shop and once again offered my FREE television and he very reluctantly accepted it after I unloaded it myself while he sat and watched. No thank you from him, just a sense that he was doing me a favor.

That is frustrating. And I'm afraid I will be going through this very same process with my perfectly functioning Mac.

If I replace it I'll offer it up here for anybody that wants to pay shipping. Free of course.

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

Interesting on the TV. When I was selling my 8 year old large and power hungry plasma TV in 2015, I've had a buyer in my home within 3 hours of posting the ad. They paid around $100 for it. Either the TVs got even more cheaper and disposable since then, or, here in Poland, "living in a waste stream" is actually pretty common. (The latter is true I guess, since the metal pickers are so competetive that they start their rounds right at dawn, to be the first one to the score - just the other day, I was woken up by some gentleman banging loudly at an old fridge in a trash near my window, trying to pry out the compressor from it).

ffj

Post by ffj »

I like to read Ego's "Something from Nothing" thread to see what he has scored but honestly that can only work in certain locales. At least for the quality of discarded items he finds on the regular. You can always find garbage anywhere on the planet.

Anyway, it reminds me of the plethora of low income places I have lived in my life and how you would never be able to find anything of value just thrown to the curb. As in Poland, there are scavengers (not an insult) everywhere that will quickly take anything of perceived value. There is also a very healthy bartering and secondary market (flea markets as well as organized yard sales) that will try to resell or trade. I think these places are much more in balance at least as far as material things.

Work continues on the homestead. Currently we are in a bit of a mini-drought so I have been burning loads of brush piles which burn quite nicely as there is no moisture to be found. The trick is to contain the fire to the brush pile and nothing more which reminds me of a cautionary tale:

Last year I was attempting to burn several brush piles and for some reason, a couple of them just would not burn and it was pissing me off. No, I didn't douse them with gasoline and burn my eyebrows off ( I know what you're thinking ), but I went to a couple of others that were huge and stuffed them with loose hay and set both on fire. This was a mistake. ;)

Now these piles were in a completely different place that were exposed to constant sunlight and a nice Easterly breeze. But I didn't note these two facts because I was still irritated over my last unsuccessful attempt. When I started the fires I instantly knew this was going to be bad, and as a firefighter I know what constitutes bad, haha. These piles, did I mention they were very large?, instantly went up like a torch and within a few minutes my woods were on fire as well as other brush piles nearby. I literally had an inferno.

So what did I do? Call the fire dept.? Hell no. I called a friend who is also a firefighter and calmly asked if he could help because I was afraid the fire may get out of control. Imagine 40 foot flames all around me as I am speaking with him. :)

While I am waiting on him the fire spread downwind into the neighbors field so I hop the fence and use a shovel to smother the flames in the grass while choking on the smoke. Thankfully the grass was short so I was able to put out the fire for the most part but there was nothing I could do about the brush piles or the fire going the other way further into my woods. While I was suffocating on the smoke, completely encapsulated and blinded as well, I heard a voice yell "ffj, what the fuck is going on here?* I thought you said you had this under control? Where the hell are you?"

Thank the heavens my friend had arrived. I yelled back " I do! ( I didn't) I'm over here, I gotta finish putting this out in the field, put the fire out in the woods!"

Thirty minutes later we had it under control and had a good laugh. My buddy said when he got close to my place he knew I was in trouble from the amount of smoke. I lost a few fence posts, a few trees I wanted to keep, but it really opened up the space I have to admit. ;) But most importantly I didn't have to suffer the embarrassment of having to call the fire dept. I never would have lived that one down.

Alright folks, there's your fire safety tip of the day. Keep your piles small, pay attention to the wind, and only burn one pile at a time. Hope you enjoyed the story. Don't be like me. :D

* You have to know this guy to realize how truly funny this is coming from him. We still laugh about it.

ffj

Post by ffj »

I am typing this from my old computer probably for the last time. It's shiny new replacement is sitting in the corner with its protective screen shield still in place. Is there anything more satisfying then peeling that off? I'm looking forward to it.

After some thought I decided to just replace my old computer. I spend so much time on-line as it is a source of education and entertainment that I'll easily recoup any costs by the sheer amount of time spent using it.

I usually love work-arounds and sticking it to the man but I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited about the capabilities of the new machine. We have just returned from vacation and after the daily fleecing inherent in all travel I almost welcome having to spend money on something that isn't transitory.

Anyway, next time I should have images which is exciting to me. Until then.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

what's the new computer you got?

ffj

Post by ffj »

@ertyu

I got another Mac.

https://www.apple.com/imac-24/

So far I'm very pleased with the capabilities and speed. And it plays nice with my iPhone so I can transfer all of my photos. It wasn't inexpensive but I'll use this machine enough to justify its cost many times over. If one stays out of the cheap traps on the internet it really is a wonderful way to learn and explore and I am personally grateful to have access to the internet as well as a computer that facilitates conversing with people such as yourself. I've never batted an eye spending money on worthwhile endeavors but really struggle with poor deals. Speaking of which:

My wife and I just returned from a vacation. I had a good time and experienced some cool stuff, but man was it expensive. Enough so that I'm not sure that certain aspects were worth it, mainly the food. I just don't like feeling that I am getting ripped off, and when you receive a large bill for what is arguably mediocre food it upsets me. Not enough to ruin my trip but it's irritating.

But we haven't had a proper vacation in probably 5 years so I didn't complain and just enjoyed myself knowing the wife was happy. We chose the state of Maine this go around because I wanted someplace cool as far as weather and she wanted to see the lighthouses, plus neither of us had ever been there before. And we both love the architecture and shoreline of Maine, it really is beautiful. Some pictures:

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

oh wow, really great
thanks for the pictures

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

ffj wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:06 am
https://www.apple.com/imac-24/
The red one, right?

ffj

Post by ffj »

Meanwhile, back on the farm work continues. I am very pleased to say that my Amish stone masons showed up and did a really good job setting the stone on my foundation. It looks wonderful.

That meant that I had to complete the dirt work around the house, namely removing a large pile of dirt from the back yard and final grading around the house. I rented a skid steer for a couple of days to get all of this work done.

While I had the machine I went ahead and fixed the dam on the neighbors pond. This overflow was about 4 feet deep when I started but with the help of the other neighbor we loaded it with rock and I graded it with dirt. Turned out well.

It took about a week but I hand graded the dirt around the foundation of the house and sowed grass seed and covered it with straw. Unfortunately, it refuses to rain so I was forced to use sprinklers to get the grass growing while I still have enough warm weather to get the grass established. It's been marginally successful so I am a bit disappointed in that but I have enough grass growing that the dirt shouldn't erode. It looks like Spring will be the time for a another sowing. The good news is that I can begin building my two porches which when completed will completely finish my house build. Very exciting.

While it's dry, I continue to slash and burn in the woods. ;) I have to be really careful not to let these fires get out of control as it is so dry but man have I cleaned up the woods. Everything is opened up and you can actually walk around so it's been great. And the cattle are fascinated. :lol: