Forum members swapping trash and treasure by flatrate mail

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
phil

Re: Forum members swapping trash and treasure by flatrate mail

Post by phil »

I live in the Netherlands and have a lot of books (in English) that I wouldn't mind getting rid of. ERE-related stuff includes YMOYL, Walden and Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, but I also have a ton of other books both fiction and non-fiction. Shipping rates are too high to warrant international shipping (even within the EU), but if anybody in the Netherlands is interested in swapping, let me know.

Clarice

Post by Clarice »

theanimal wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:50 pm
I have the books from Jacob's Investment curriculum minus Economics: Public and Private Choice and Financial Reporting and Statement Analysis.

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/start ... sting.html

All you pay is postage costs (probably $25 or so).
@the animal:

Do you still have this collection? I am interested.

Miss Lonelyhearts

Post by Miss Lonelyhearts »

I have a set of circa 1960s dishware — large plates, small plates, lg/sm bowls, etc — in this pattern. I’ve been intending to eBay them for years since they have some value, even getting as far as pricing out industrial rolls of bubble wrap, but any EREer in the Chicago area can have them for free.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@ML - I happen to have "industrial rolls" of bubble wrap you can have for free. Well, not exactly an industrial roll, but I have a lot (too much) of heavy duty bubble packaging + boxes and envelopes.

ScrewTheAverage
Location: Continual long-term travelling since 2016 (4 continents, 26 countries, ~80 cities)

Post by ScrewTheAverage »

This is a great idea, thank you for posting this Jacob!

In an effort to help other ERE'ers save some money when shipping items via USPS, if you're shipping less than 20lbs and a small package (i.e. something really dense) the USPS offers a service called 'Priority Mail Cubic' to commercial mailers (individuals can use it if their package qualifies).

Do a search for Priority Mail Cubic to get more information on the shipping parameters. If we're not mistaken Stamps.com and Pirate Ship.com (who we use, no affiliation) both offer the service.

Hopefully others will find this info useful and be able to save some money!

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Cat 1- Kindle Fire HD

@Jacob (or anyone)- Do you still have saw blades? If so, what size?

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

I've got a number of books and other items that I'd be happy to swap or even give away for shipping costs only if there is nothing you have to swap for them.

See this list of category 2 books which is long enough that I won't post it here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Additional category 2 items
Unused in box neti pot. Specifically, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HQ91761
Used Waterpik Water Flosser Model WP-662C
Netgear N600 Wifi Cable Modem Router Model C3700

Wanted
Heirloom seeds - I'm in Zone 6b.
Mortar and pestle
Paring knife
Whetstone or other knife sharpening tool
Cutting board made out of a single piece of wood (bc mine is splitting at the points where pieces of wood are glued together)
Rip cut saw
10 inch or 12 inch cast iron skillet

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

@Mathiverse, I have a cast iron skillet, knife block with full set of knives, and cutting board you're welcome to. Unfortunately I think due to weight/size it might not be economical to ship by mail.

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

Sweet! I'll DM you, 2b1s.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Alright, lets try this again. See OP for Cat details.
TL;DR - I'll swap with US-based forumites with more than 100 posts. Sorry lurkers are not invited.

Cat 1&2)
eTrex GPS (no maps, simple, check points, find your way back, water resistant, legend has it that you can run it through a laundry cycle, software is borked and timestamps no longer work, so no longer good for yacht racing, but still good for navigating)
VGA-VGA cable (two), Displayport-Displayport cable, RCA A/V cable (fancy looking, gold plated), also other cables, too many to list. Just ask.
Kindle 3G keyword (white) + blue cover (depreciated by amazon, battery down to 1 day’s worth)
ASUS Eee laptop (from 2009ish. Linux project?)
iPhone 5S (freebie, barely functional as far as I know. Maybe you can make something out of it?)
Compost worms (red wigglers, local pickup only!)
Various watch batteries (button battery for watches, calculators, ...) (local pickup only!)
More watch stuff: Spring bars to attach straps to watches for NATO conversions.
Most bicycle parts #lowend (gear and brake cables, inner tubes, cable housing, bar wrap, cogs, cassettes, bar plugs, handles, cable ends, ferrules, …)
Used circular saw blades (for knife making)
fishing lures (mostly hooks and softbaits)
random yarn (DW has an enormous collection, so ask)
AAII journals (2022)
Random hobby-sized brass tubing (be very specific and I might have it, e.g. 2” of 5/32 ID)
Patreon stuff: HTME stickers / Stuart McMillan postcards
Boxes, packing material, padded envelopes (local only, it makes little sense to mail this)
Various smartphone/computer disassembly tools (small screwdrivers, pry bars)
Gear wheels made out of plywood (I make clocks. These are surplus parts. Artsy projects?)

Cat W)
MOLLE adapters (“90 degree” in particular!)
TapoutXT2, P90X3, et al. (DVD workouts)
Protoboards, various electronic components (resistors, capacitors, transistors, test leads,...)
Arduino, Raspberry Pi stuff
Wooden dowels (clean, any diameter)
Metal rods (brass, steel, not rusted, <1”dia.)
Lead (pellets, cylinders, blocks... ) (I use them as clock ballast)
Heirloom seeds. (Especially high SHU chili seeds :) )
Morale patches (2”x3” w velcro)
Camping knife

Enough to fill a flat rate mail exchange.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

What size circular saw blades? Are they carbide tipped?

I think I have some ghost pepper seeds and potentially Carolina, but I'll have to check for the latter.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

theanimal wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:14 pm
What size circular saw blades? Are they carbide tipped?
They're dead/used up. Metal value. For cutting to pieces.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Category 2 unless you have similar item that is too big :lol:

Woman’s size L Mountain Hardwear DryQ black rain shell pants. These are 10 years old but only worn a handful of times.

I just tried them on and they are tight with just underwear. I used to be able to wear them hiking pants underneath.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

jacob wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:07 pm
They're dead/used up. Metal value. For cutting to pieces.
Yes, I understand. What size diameter are they? I have made/am looking to make more ulus, so I am looking for larger blades rather than smaller.

ETA: Also the question regarding carbide...Carbide tipped blades often means weaker material on the inside. Not as ideal for knife making.
Last edited by theanimal on Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I've got a few more led weights, maybe a half-dozen. Do you need more or just different shapes?
I just sold a big bag full of molle pouches and a bag of real velcro patches (US flags, blood type, infrared unit designations...). I think I have a few plastic 90 degree molle adapters in a box. I get molle pouches all the time and still have several in a duffle bag downstairs. Do you need any particular sized pouches or are you trying to connect something unusual to your goruck? What kind of knife? Fixed blade or folder? Sheath?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

theanimal wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:17 pm
Yes, I understand. What size diameter are they? I have made/am looking to make more ulus, so I am looking for larger blades rather than smaller.
I have three plywood blades that do not appear to be tipped. 6.5", 7", and 8" in diameter. If you're interested, I also have some rusty old giant files to throw in if and only if they fit in the box. They're between 12 and 18" long.
Ego wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:47 pm
I've got a few more led weights, maybe a half-dozen. Do you need more or just different shapes?
Smaller preferably. Like BBs or fishing sinkers.
Ego wrote:
I just sold a big bag full of molle pouches and a bag of real velcro patches (US flags, blood type, infrared unit designations...). I think I have a few plastic 90 degree molle adapters in a box. I get molle pouches all the time and still have several in a duffle bag downstairs. Do you need any particular sized pouches or are you trying to connect something unusual to your goruck?
Yeah, I want to put a smartphone pouch on the front of the shoulder strap. Such as https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DJ5PFFJ/ . However, the MOLLE on the strap runs vertical and there's only one "line". There doesn't really seem to be much in terms of commercial solutions. (Here's one, but not for phones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0838YTHVG/) I suppose only dorky mall ninjas attach stuff to the front of their backpack, but it would be handy for me.

For patches, I'm not looking for military stuff. Also not political statements, general insults, or gun fetish themes. (That appears to exclude 90% of the patch market.) Currently I have one with a Danish flag (good for international events) and one that says "Social Distancing Expert" (which is good for general events :-D )
Ego wrote:
What kind of knife? Fixed blade or folder? Sheath?
A camping knife that can handle battoning. Like e.g. this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PGZ0130/ My current knife only has a 3.5" blade which makes splitting wood an exercise in frustration. A camping axe would probably also work.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I've got this one. It is made to hold a 5.56 mag but my phone (Oneplus 5) fits. It measures 8" X 3 3/4" I am happy to send the mag holder and clips or just the clips by first-class mail.

Image Image

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Ego wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:36 pm
I've got this one. It is made to hold a 5.56 mag but my phone (Oneplus 5) fits. It measures 8" X 3 3/4" I am happy to send the mag holder and clips or just the clips by first-class mail.
Is that the outside parameters? The phone is "only" 6.5x3x3/8 which according to my google is slightly wider than yours.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Yes, that is the outside parameters. It is a snug fit for my phone but it fits. You could cut the nylon edges leaving only the elastic band and top flap to hold it in place.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

I have 3 Google mesh wifi points that I no longer need. These ones: https://store.google.com/product/google ... n?hl=en-US

I don't think there is anything wrong with them. I've used them for about a year and they technically work. It's just that, for reasons I can't fathom, my internet is significantly slower when I use them vs just using my regular setup. Maybe someone here has the knowledge to get them to work right? I know some people think they are fantastic, I am just sick of dealing with them and my internet is plenty fast without them. They are in good physical shape.

I'd be happy to flatrate mail them to someone in the US, or hand them off to someone in NYC.