Deliberate movement design by failure modes

The "other" ERE. Societal aspects of the ERE philosophy. Emergent change-making, scale-effects,...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Deliberate movement design by failure modes

Post by jacob »

I'm almost positive that successful change by movement needs to have a failure mode that is identical to the success values of the various SD colors. Short of the tiny amount of people who will change 180 through words, people will be hooked by solutions that they recognize.

E.g. ERE has the failure mode that is FIRE and FIRE is the success value of Orange as it implies one has climbed the ladder and won the game and now can do what salarymen only get to do on vacations.

I'm confident that this rule is so strong to admit no exceptions.

7Wannabe5

Re: Deliberate movement design by failure modes

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

What does the Green failure mode of ERE look like?

J_

Post by J_ »

Long ago I recognized via YMOL that going on as a salary man without diminishing my expenditures I would never reach financial independence. Doing the simple arithmetic ànd confronting myself with (the yearly balances) of my financial history opened my eyes. Together with a slumbering awareness of the Club of Rome report it became more and more also a kind of moral thing to follow. Which became very clear when I found your blog (later the forums) and book and the recomandation of other books eg. Overshoot, by Catton.

So I was hooked as follows:
I longed to live more free
I became aware that my spending behavior increased with my growing income, and would so infinitive if I not did not change: that was seeing the failure mode!
I had read about the (simple) measures to become financial independent
I recognized by doing how "easy" it was to change my way of spending.

So, Yes! I was hooked by seeing the failure of the common way of not saving and recognizing the solution.
(I am not able to relate that to an SD color)

Please Jacob elaborate a bit more, if possible without Spiral Dynamics Coloring. It feels your are quite right.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:29 am
What does the Green failure mode of ERE look like?
In general, green strives for socio-centric equality and inclusion. Circle-structure doing things together. Ecological and social justice and living in harmony with the world (e.g. regeneration and decolonization). Personal growth in the "I feel, therefore I am"-sense.

The green failure mode would be a community, where people just meet and talk while no accomplishing any of the stated goals. Initially created by geeks who want to change the world but ultimately taken over by MOPs who just want to be part of the new cool without having to put in personal effort.

I'm not sure ERE1 has a Green failure mode since ERE1 was formulated for the warm/individualistic [ingredient] colors. ERE2 with its focus on combining ingredients into a recipe would have one.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

The green failure mode would be a community, where people just meet and talk while no accomplishing any of the stated goals. Initially created by geeks who want to change the world but ultimately taken over by MOPs who just want to be part of the new cool without having to put in personal effort.
Oh. How is this different from a green success?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

J wrote:I became aware that my spending behavior increased with my growing income, and would so infinitive if I not did not change: that was seeing the failure mode!
Yes, automatically increasing spending with increasing income is default behavior at Orange.

@jacob:
Gotcha.

So, what is the color of the failure mode wherein you automatically reduce working-for-money to match reduction-in-spending and thereby never increase savings? Maybe just crappy design at low Yellow?

daylen

Post by daylen »

In so far as the colors cover the space of macro-movements, the values of messo-movements like ERE could be thought to necessarily map onto a subset of values held by one or more of the colored macro-movements. Micro-movements could then be activities that agents engage in.

The transition from micro to messo requiring a following of sufficient mass and centering of sufficient attraction (i.e. ERE forums). Macro-movements emerging from the study of sufficiently synergistic messo-movements. Rituals around unexplained novelty in everyday life forming purple; autocratic regimes forming red; religious institutions forming blue; markets forming orange; cooperative pockets forming green; perhaps web3 becoming the backbone of yellow in the near future.

Makes me think of what kinds of messo-movements have a yellow failure mode? Most of what I can think of is centered in tech as development driven to solve common problems or produce the next generation of functionality for others to put to use. Project failure resulting in at least an interesting tool to play with and learn from. Less centered in tech, academic paradigms sometimes fail relative to more modern or mainstream theories but still remain as an interesting case study for undergrads and as a small area of research for postgrads.

Jean

Post by Jean »

then, in which color is ere success, and therefore the faillure mode of a long career?

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Riggerjack wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:02 pm
Oh. How is this different from a green success?
It's the same, like below.
jacob wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:09 pm
I'm almost positive that successful change by movement needs to have a failure mode that is identical to the success values of the various SD colors.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Thanks, I reread it, and got it the 2nd time round.

Myakka

Post by Myakka »

In some failure modes someone would not move up a level at all. They would be coming in with too few resources to grok much and for them it would be a matter of perhaps gleaning a few ideas which change how they live at their old level.

Or someone can grok almost all of the ideas except the ones which require successful human interactions -- possibly a red type wanting to be green or yellow, (or anything but what they are) but not really having the tool set to do that. And so in a failure mode there is a great hole in those sections of ERE2.