European Natural Gas Shortage of 2022?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
chenda

Re: European Natural Gas Shortage of 2022?

Post by chenda »

Jean wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:18 am
somehow, i'm excited.
A modest energy shortage may well be a good thing. 'Twill prepare us for bigger challenges which lie ahead...

Jean

Post by Jean »

It's the same feeling as when our drill sergent was waking us up at 2am for a suprise march.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

chenda wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:10 am
Besides, Putin needs the euros to finance his war just as much as Europe needs the gas.
I’m afraid at current prices he’s making the same bottom line on 20% of the volumes he did pre-war.

rube

Post by rube »

Personally: we got rid last year of the natural gas heater and installed a heat pump. The heat pump uses electricity (also made in gas powered electricity plants) but it has a (much) higher efficiency. We insulated the house. Solar panels are provided 8 or 9 months out of 12 more energy than we use. All this was however done before this war came to play.
For my parents and 2 rentals I arranged early Feb. a contract with fixed prices for 5 years. Higher prices as we were used to but in hindsight these are great prices. I hope the company can keep their end of the contract.

On the longer term this is hopefully beneficial and helps to accelerate the switch to reducing energy and to produce green energy.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Hopefully, there will be a cultural reset. A thing I remember from being a child is, the mindset didn't use to be, "we're poor/we can't afford it, so we should [do frugal behavior]", it used to be, "we could be frugal about this and get more bang for our bucks, so why won't we be." Things like wearing plenty of layers and only heating part of your place were common. Or, cooking and doing energy-intensive activities after 10pm "on the night tariff" (combines with "during the cool part of the day" in the summer). Insulating your windows, having double-curtains, a lighter set and a heavier set, acting as additional insulation at night. And so on. Behaviors like these were common sense rather than fringe. The high prices suck, no argument there, but if there's a positive side effect of people trying out energy-saving behaviors and changing their habits, that would only be good.

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

One old school behaviour that will probably come back is burning the trash, as it is basically free fuel. I'm not looking forward to smells of this winter...

chenda

Post by chenda »

You could migrate south for the winter. You don't need much heating in the Mediterranean. Hopefully the reservoirs will get a good top up this winter too.

prudentelo

Post by prudentelo »

Russia will have no problem selling its hydrocarbon "free gold" "magic money fountain" etc.

If Europe doesnt want it Europe industry and eventually population moves to e.g. India. Europe will pay Russias gas buying cement from India in rupees made with Russian gas paid in Ruble, rather than making that cement itself

Only question is where will Europe get moeny to pay these imports

Rqtioning is stupid and not way out. Just causes misallocation as well as reduced use. Pushing cost onto business just hits consumer somewhere else.

France hqd right idea during oil shock. Uranium can be stockpiled with reasonable expense and space. But Europe policy now designed with other coneiderations than practical

Myakka

Post by Myakka »

To me this is part of the larger drama of the trade war going on between the US and its allies vs Russia and its allies. I wonder about the historical ramifications of this contest.