Mike is here

Say hello!!
Quadalupe

Re: Mike is here

Post by Quadalupe »

It looks like his registration lapsed or something. Using archive.org you can still view his blog: https://web.archive.org/web/20140523053 ... ition.com/.

canoe

Post by canoe »

This has happened before, and the site came back up. Might have just forgotten to pay the hosting bill or something.

chenda

Post by chenda »

It was just odd how he abruptly stopped posting and blogging at the same time and never checked in again. Really hope he is ok.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

It's common for blogs to expire or people to move on and never return to the FIRE scene. I mean, how often does anyone return to their old high school after graduation? We only remember the popular ones (the quarterback) but there were others who also left. For example, where's Frugal Bachelor, who also stopped abruptly. Where's that New York dude with a funny cycling blog? Another simple answer is that they got a job in finance or something with a security clearance that disallowed an online presence. A simple name change also works. Spartan Student is gone?! No he isn't. He's simply writing under his name now, but if you don't know his own name, you can't google your way to his new writings.

Lots of explanations.

Information on the internet does fade from being googlable within 10 years or so. Consider how many years we spent trying to figure out where the term "FIRE" came from.

Papers of Indenture

Post by Papers of Indenture »

I remember Mike's blog fondly as well. Foundational for me.

RockyMtnLiving

Post by RockyMtnLiving »

Mike's website is still offline which makes me blue as reading the posts there chronologically was an annual ritual for me.

I hope Mike is well.

If the website stays down, it just adds to the legend, in my humble opinion.

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

RockyMtnLiving wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:34 pm
Mike's website is still offline which makes me blue as reading the posts there chronologically was an annual ritual for me.

I hope Mike is well.

If the website stays down, it just adds to the legend, in my humble opinion.
It's probably still accessible in web archives. I was once dismayed when my favorite blogger (lots of rereads on my part too) removed hundreds of posts from his 15-year-long blog and purged those pages from internet archives as well.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Well, Lacking Ambition is now an online steroid marketplace. So the blog is gone for good or Mike finally found some ambition :P

chenda

Post by chenda »

theanimal wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:40 pm
Well, Lacking Ambition is now an online steroid marketplace. So the blog is gone for good or Mike finally found some ambition :P
Haha, there's a sad irony. Mike was the last person to have got into steroids.