List of companies on the US stock exchanges

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
thrifty++

List of companies on the US stock exchanges

Post by thrifty++ »

Does anyone know how to download the list of companies on the US stock markets?

Ideally in an excel format. I like to go through all stocks in systematic fashion to pick from.

US has a few exchanges though. The NYSE, NASDAQ and the AMEX? Is that the three? Are there others? Maybe I need to download an excel spreadsheet for all of them? Anyone know how to find this.

I have been having a look online but cant seem to find the information in a useful format to download the entire list in excel.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: List of companies on the US stock exchanges

Post by jacob »

NYSE, NDAQ, and AMEX are the big ones. There are some 40 others including dark pools. A quick google reveals how there are currently 4000+ publicly traded companies. There used to be closer to 10000 of them just a few years ago. This goes back and forth. If business is good, the rich people tend to keep the ROI for themselves.

thrifty++

Re: List of companies on the US stock exchanges

Post by thrifty++ »

Ok I think I have found it now.

I think this has everything. Well, at least on the three big exchanges. And can download excel. https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/screener

Although, I am not sure whether or not its worth trying to download stocks listed on all the other US exchanges. Maybe not.