Montreal Meetup - September 15

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
Colibri

Re: Montreal Meetup - September 15

Post by Colibri »

Alright. I just like to travel at this time of the year because the plane ticket is much cheaper and also to get a bit more daylight. Been living in the darkness since late November. It is a great mental break.

Almost didn't make it, we are in the middle of a cold snap. I was careless yesterday and froze my hot water line, it is all good now. Got a last minute housesitter to keep the water flowing. I was thinking not going to MTL and keep my house warm instead. The forecast for tonight is -46C. Booked a taxi to get me to the airport. My car is a frozen block of metal. Anyways... I am on my way and willing for a meetup.

Loner

Post by Loner »

You know you live in the far north when you need a babysitter for your hot water line. You missed the nice weather by not much. It was 7c a few days ago. Ridiculously warm for January.

Well, I have seen this thread come up like four times in four years without replying. It's about time I get out of my bubble. Judging by the reports on other meetups elsewhere, it sounds like a tolerable, even enjoyable social experience :lol: Count me in. Anyone else?

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

Great !
Where and when ? I will leave it to you too for suggestions of places since I don't know the city very well anymore. Something close to a metro station would be appreciated. I will bring the book.

Loner

Post by Loner »

I know the layout of the city, but other than that, I don’t know the city very well neither. I don’t think I’ve gone to a restaurant, café or bar in years. I’d suggest some not-too-noisy place since it’d be nice to talk without screaming.

Here’s two suggestions:
- Just walk in the Old Port and maybe get in a place if we are cold.
- Café Olimpico in Old Montreal (Never went, but I literally googled “quiet coffee for talking montreal” and it looks alright). Closes at 11pm in weekends.

As for the time, I’m free Saturday and Sunday during the day, and Saturday evening. I do not really have a preference. Would any of this work for you?

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

Thanks for the suggestions, sounds good to me.

What about a week night ? My weekend might be already booked.

Loner

Post by Loner »

Sure, yes. Tuesday to Thursday would be best. I'm not sure until when you are here, but next weekend (except for Sat. before 6pm), or later, would also work.

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

Okay, what about Tuesday night at the cafe Olimpico ?

Looks like we might already have lost Flamen to hibernation...

Loner

Post by Loner »

Perfect, yes, Tuesday at the Cafe Olimpico works for me. I can be there at 5 (or later). What time works best for you?

It would be nice if more people came, yes. Anyone else coming?

flamen

Post by flamen »

I can be there, around 6pm or so. We need a reconoissance sign.

Just be aware there is a Cafe Olimpico on Saint-Viateur which is a crowded place. I suppose we want the Olimpico on 419 Rue Saint-Vincent near the Champ de Mars subway station. Never been there.

Loner

Post by Loner »

Great. Let's set it up for 6 then?

I was suggesting the one on Saint-Vincent, yes, but I never went, I just found it on google. If you know a good/better place, I'd be open to going elsewhere. As for reconnoissance signs, hm, not sure. Colibri said she'll bring the book, so we could possibly just let it on the table. Or exchange cellphone # in PM? Or clothing descriptions?

flamen

Post by flamen »

These days, I only know places in my area. Let's try Olimpico. Tuesday 21st. Incidentally, that is one of the coldest day of the year as Earth is around its perihelion (sorry, I had to vent). The book is a good sign, I'll brink a small notebook or book. As for description, I am average. So average that I once got arrested by police because fitting some description. They only let me off hook after one hour and were still convinced I was the man.

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

Sounds good. Tuesday at 6pm.
I will wear a purple jacket and the book. I think I look a little bit out of place here...
Looking forward to this !
Maybe try to think about subjects you are interested to discuss but really no pressure here.

Loner

Post by Loner »

Excellent, see you both on Tuesday. Looking forward as well. I'll probably have a black leather jacket and a burgundy sweater. Lurkers are welcome.

Loner

Post by Loner »

Glad to have met you both. It was a most pleasant evening.

Recap for those who care. The meetup went well, very stimulating discussions. If we had not been politely asked to leave when the place closed after us being there for 3.5 hours, I suppose we could have chatted for a long while. I think we only scratched the surface. It was nice to be able to talk about picking up stuff from the trash without being given the deer-in-the-headlight face. I'd suggest other forumites try it out.

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

Well, I am back in the North. No frozen pipes in the house and a fresh dump of snow for skiing . Glad to have spent time in Montreal and also to have met like minded people. I also recommend trying to meet other people from the forum IRL, worst case it will be boring and you can just pretend your cat is sick and you must go...

It was nice to see that the rest of the world still exist and enjoying the big city life for a bit as well.

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

Hello all,

Testing the water about a possible meetup in Montreal in late September / early October. Still a long way until then but keep in mind those dates if you are possibly interested. I will be around the city until October 5th.

Cheers !

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

MTL is a fun town, I would love to hang out there again, but to get there I would have to pass the checkpoints.

Cheers

Loner

Post by Loner »

Down for it.

Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I live in Toronto, but I would be down if it's on the weekend. I haven't visited Montreal in a while.

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

Hello,

Testing the water again about having a meetup in Montreal. I am here now until Oct 5th.
Any interest for a weeknight meeting in the next 10 days ?
Weekend could possibly work too.
We met in the Old Montreal last time. I am on south shore and can travel on the island.
Meetups are great to share stories, opinions and progress with like minded people. Who knows, you might make new friends.