Gamestop?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Campitor

Re: Gamestop?

Post by Campitor »

Elon Musk questions Robinhood CEO about his company's actions concerning GME: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aicDIMtVld8

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

suomalainen wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:28 am
But, if you shut down both sides, then you're locking your existing customers into their trades by fiat (rather than by "only" preventing them from selling to new RobinHood schmucks) which ALSO doesn't look good, so my guess is that someone made the decision at RobinHood that cutting off buys but not sells would be the lesser of two evils to allow RH to manage their clearing house risk and regulatory requirements while also doing the least damage to their customers.
Campitor wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:06 am
Elon Musk questions Robinhood CEO about his company's actions concerning GME: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aicDIMtVld8

12:57 - 13:23 "But we did operational processes to make sure that customers that had positions could sell their open positions because obviously restricting someone -- we got a lot of questions about 'ok, if you had to restrict buying, why didn't you also restrict selling?' And the fact of the matter is that people get really pissed off if they're holding stock and they want to sell it and they can't, right? So, I mean, that's categorically worse, so."
Nailed it.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

We talked about how the short sellers might not go public announcing their shorts after this GME episode but here is another tactic -- go public but not actual short:

https://hindenburgresearch.com/clover/
Conclusion: Do Short Sellers Play A Role In A Healthy Market?

Despite nearly 4 months of due diligence we performed and financed for this report, we have no position in Clover.

Why? Because while short selling is always high risk, these are unprecedented times; many people are angry and right now we believe it is important to demonstrate the role short sellers play in a healthy, functioning market.

Usually, the gripe with short sellers is the business model (i.e.: making money when a stock goes down). We are taking that off the table for this one report so the investing public can more clearly see the work for what it is; deep-dive investigative research.

Critical, adversarial research is needed because Wall Street is a finely tuned machine, built to sell securities to the public, regardless of quality. ...

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Yesterday, GME had almost come back to its pre-bubble price in the $low 40-handle.

However, it popped about 40% after RH reinstated buys today. I guess this is not over yet ...

white belt

Post by white belt »

Watching all of this unfold, I do wonder why we couldn't see the exact same speculative mania again with GME? All it takes is the price to drop down like it has and for shorts to pile on to their positions again to have an exact replay. Maybe the hedge fund GME shorts learned their lesson, but I'm not so sure. WSB still has 8.6 million followers.

Edit: Data today shows that GME short interest is around 50% of float.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

The shorts that piled in at 300-400-480, they're taking profits. Not sure why this stock would be that attractive to shorts anymore at these levels, precisely because of what's happened.

white belt

Post by white belt »

@Bankai

Right but what started this whole fiasco was how GME was heavily shorted at even pre-bubble levels.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

Yeah, but those guys have probably learnt their lesson by now (risk management!) while the ones that piled in at the top are now taking profits (they realised 80% or so of possible gain already and risk to reward doesn't look good anymore). And new shorts are probably quite hesitant and quite rightly so - what happened once can happen again. There's plenty of fish in the sea - why go after the one that ate a sea mine?

giskard

Post by giskard »

Bankai wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:13 pm
Yeah, but those guys have probably learnt their lesson by now (risk management!) while the ones that piled in at the top are now taking profits (they realised 80% or so of possible gain already and risk to reward doesn't look good anymore). And new shorts are probably quite hesitant and quite rightly so - what happened once can happen again. There's plenty of fish in the sea - why go after the one that ate a sea mine?
Short interest is only 49% of float today according to Bloomberg. So yeah... Still a ton of people short but definitely a whole lot less.

Der Leiermann

Post by Der Leiermann »

GameStop just doubled to USD 90+. This phenomenon has a lot more longevity than I thought.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

These idiots shorted it again :lol:

What I hope doesn't happen is they blame this all on retail and hurt some regular shmo like roaring kitty

I predict it doesn't make a higher high than last time, might sell some weeklies 350c

white belt

Post by white belt »

Interesting price action over the past few days: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bed-bath ... 01521.html

candide

Post by candide »

Oh, there is so much dumb money that still has to be flushed out of this system.

That and the labor numbers, 100 point hike here we come.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

candide wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:01 pm
Oh, there is so much dumb money that still has to be flushed out of this system.

That and the labor numbers, 100 point hike here we come.
Nah. It will be 75. Friendly bet

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

In other news, AMC (another gamestonk) is issuing a special dividend in the form of preferred shares with the ticker symbol---you can't make this up---APE. This will effectively dilute the outstanding shares. However, as the company retains some of these APEs it will be possible to sell them later instead of using debt funding.

candide

Post by candide »

ertyu wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:13 am
Nah. It will be 75. Friendly bet
I was more joking in a jocular fashion, so as long as this bet has no stakes, we can consider it both friendly and "on."

Still, the talk was that inflation had peaked, so it looked like we might be done with a rising interest rate environment. I'm not the largest Fed watcher, but I think I would have be surprised that 75 was a consensus two weeks ago.