mooretrees journal

Where are you and where are you going?
shaz

Re: mooretrees journal

Post by shaz »

I can generally hand wash and then hang to dry lightweight fabrics no problem but heavier things like jeans or cotton sweatshirts are a sodden mess without spinning or wringing. Is a laundromat an option occasionally?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

We hand wash without a wringer. It is definitely far superior and quicker drying with a wringer. They are pricey but last forever and are well worth the cost. The plunger helps with some back strain but washing by hand isn't that much inferior.

sky

Post by sky »

Wrap the wet clothing around a pipe or cable and twist, twist, twist as it drips. Then slap it around a bit to stretch it back out to dry.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

excellent suggestions all, i think next week i'll start experimenting.

We visited the future site of the bus today. Had a lovely talk about the logistics of it and us being there. Then went for a refreshing swim in their above ground pool. They bought the pool this year as extra water storage for their business. Added bonus of afternoon swims!

The spot where the bus is going needs to be mowed, graded and leveled with gravel. We'll pay for it. DH has started laying down the flooring! It's going pretty smoothly and it seems likely to be finished in the next week or so. Then sanding and protecting it with something...I'm excited to see it when he's finished laying it all down.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

Health:

Met with a therapist yesterday. It was a very valuable experience. I figured a few things out while talking with that need to be addressed (which will take some time). She gave me some tools and suggestions for how to use those tools. I'm being very vague deliberately. I can see her again four more times. She loves going through the EAP and hates insurance billing. When I spoke with the EAP folks, they mentioned that I get five visits per issue. So, I think I'll come up with another issue once these initial five visits are used up and see if it actually works to get more visits.

Went to a chiropracter twice last week. I think it is mostly a wash, but it was informative. I won't go again unless I am in pain. I did learn that my pelvis was tilted in a few ways, that explains the stuck feeling I've had in my left hip. The adjustments released that stuckness, temporarily. I enjoyed the results, but they don't last. So, I feel like i spent a pile of money to confirm something I already knew. Buuuut, knowing what a more correct/natural positioning of my pelvis feels like is really valuable. I am directing more time to releasing my hip flexors now then before.

I am considering a few deep tissue/myofascial massages. I will wait a bit and see what progress I can make on my own as I feel more energized to do it now.

Boobs:

I had my annual mammogram a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I have "dense" breast tissue. This makes it hard to see potential lumps that could be cancer. Last year was my first mammogram and they asked me to come back and do an ultrasound for one area. I did, and then was astounded to get a $600 bill. The mammogram was covered, but the ultrasound was not. Insurance is f'd up. So, this year the same situation came up again. I refused the follow up ultrasound. I am sure my gyno will try and convince me to do it. I have my annual with her due soon, so we'll talk about it then. I think I should be able to do monthly self-checks and do the annual mammogram and catch anything. I have caught something before, so this thinking is based on a good track record. My family does have history of breast cancer, but it was late in life and stage zero when it was identified. If my gyno gives me too many scary stories, I might consider switching to a different provider, though I really like her otherwise.

Bus:
DH is halfway finished with the flooring. He's doing the easy part where there's not obstacles to work around. Today he'll likely hit the stairs and a wheel well that will require more cutting. It's looking really cool. I'm off work for two weeks and so he'll hopefully make a lot of progress. The next two areas to focus on are making it water tight and then putting in the ceiling insulation and ceiling. Then it's just what will make it more livable before we move into it soon.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Using the chiro as a diagnostic tools seems like a great strategy. At the very least, I bet a massage therapist could offer similar input to your self-directed work. From what I understand, immediately after releasing the tissue, we have to practice the unlocked movement patterns, so DIY is always the long term requirement.

Medical imaging prices vary wildly. If your barrier to the ultrasound is price, have you looked at a stand alone imaging facility, that is in network with your insurance? You could also ask their cash pay prices. One of those options may be a fraction of the cost. Your insurer should have a search tool that makes this easy to check.

When I wanted MRI's - the cheapest option was via this path, using my insurance. The insurer's negotiated rate was $220. My copay made that $55. Cash pay prices were around $350. However - through my doctor's medical system - the rates started at $2k. I didn't get deeply into the insurance games there, because the co-pay percentage was also double. For the exact same MRI.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

mooretrees wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:02 am
Last year was my first mammogram and they asked me to come back and do an ultrasound for one area. I did, and then was astounded to get a $600 bill. The mammogram was covered, but the ultrasound was not. Insurance is f'd up. So, this year the same situation came up again. I refused the follow up ultrasound. I am sure my gyno will try and convince me to do it.
GRRRRR! Healthcare system, F**kers, etc, etc... former nurse stuff.

I'm really happy to read your overall plan is proceeding well! Take care my online friend.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

we're packing up the bunker in hopes that the site will be ready in the next two weeks. DH has one more coat to put on the floor and then it will rest for a bit. Next project is the bedroom ceiling. The flooring looks insanely cool, if you like the look of a gym floor. We do, thankfully! DH is really happy with how it has turned out, in fact, it's the most satisfied I've seen him this whole project. Maybe that's the reality of finish work?

The new plan is to get the bedroom ceiling finished and use it as an actual bedroom. Then our current landlords gave us a lightly used wall tent that we'll use as a kitchen and living room until either winter comes or the bus is closer to ready. I'm sure winter will come sooner than the bus will be ready and our new landlords have a stove that suits a wall tent, but, I'd like to be in the bus.

Today we pared down our bathroom supplies to daily use items and a first aid kit. Most of what we packed away will stay in the storage unit until we decide to finally get rid of it, or pull it out in relief we didn't throw it away. I'm working on paring down the kitchen into goods we actually will use and just the amount of bowls/cups/cutlery we need for one meal. I'm using the storage unit more than I thought I would, it means I get to put off harder decisions for an undetermined amount of time.

DS has started kindergarten. He loves it so much. I had two days off while he was at school and I floundered around like a wet fish on dry land, not knowing what to do with myself and feeling anxious that I wasn't using this precious alone time well. I imagine I'll get used to this time apart. We're learning how to be school age parents. I hesitated to send him to school in clothes that have holes in them, but now I'm over that. He has a lot of clothes with holes in them and he doesn't care. I think the first impression of him has happened and since he's a good kid, now it doesn't matter what he wears as much. I like his teacher but it's so strange to not know what they're teaching him all day long. I think I know the basics; how to be in a classroom, letters and all that jazz, but I don't know SPECIFICS. We've had so much time together with the pandemic and working part time....anyway, I am grieving (and totally exhilarated tbh) that he's away for so long.

Work is going really well. We've hired a few younger techs and the atmosphere during the day is so fun and goofy that I love it. I'm also getting a lot of procedures edited which I normally hate. Somehow, this time around I'm enjoying the process of digging into the mechanics of each test/process and making it more accurate to reality. Also, I'm embarking on a big monthlong emergency blood product release simulation. It's the most stressful situation we encounter in blood bank and I like to make people practice. This time around I've enlisted the help of ER nurses and that adds another layer of adrenaline for us to work with. It's fun to do this and I learn a lot about how people think and get better (I hope) myself. Really the key thing here is that I have a lot of autonomy at work and that's always a good spot.

The site for the bus is mowed and we're waiting on the guy who does the grading to squeeze us in, hopefully soon. I want to get the bus moved and the wall tent set up, and then move in very thoughtfully. We can stay at our current place as long as we like, but I'm ready to move to the new situation. I wondered all the time during the house sale preparations how I would feel about moving into the bus without the house as a back up plan. I thought I would feel fine, and I do. I don't have any concerns about being houseless. It feels really exciting to think about sleeping in the beautiful bedroom DH built. I can't wait.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

This sounds so exciting. Fingers crossed that all goes well. Bus pictures?

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

I am eager to also see some pics and hear about bus adventures. My SIL has her two boys now back in school and her description of your confusion about what to do with time is very similar.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

Ha ha, I will work on the pictures, it's hard to take photos of a very small space..Soon though!

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

We'll be moving in the next few days, if the site is ready. Apartment is getting packed up and I vacillate between excitement and a lot of nervousness. Bedroom ceiling is installed and getting sanded and prepped for tung oil treatment. This cannot get done fast enough for me.

I regressed to WL 5 and panic bought really good winter boots for DS and I. I am concerned about staying warm this winter with our weirdo living situation. DS runs hot, but if we're living in a canvas tent with a wood stove so, um, I figured we could use kick ass winter boots. Both on sale, but one of the recent exceptions to buying used. Mine are definitely BIFL and DS's will be sold or given to a kid in need when he grows out of them. DH is happy with his winter shoes if anyone was wondering why he didn't get a new pair.

I'm off Friday and hope to move a few things into the bus like our mattress and some winter stuff. I've got the layout of the tent kitchen mostly figured out and hope it's an easy move. I hope to set the tent up and then move the kitchen stuff in the same day, maybe Friday? To recap, we're sleeping in the bus and using the tent as a kitchen/living room.
We've mostly transitioned to using a cooler for a fridge, with a chest freezer for refreezing the the sweet ice packs I got at work. I think a second cooler might be needed as I keep making more fermented food....

I was walking down the hall at work recently when I saw our oncologist. He asked if I liked goat cheese and then pulled two options out of his lab coat! Ridiculous. I choose the Munster, which is okay. But he and I are buddies and I'm hoping to help him make cheese and learn from him. I finished my fermented hot pepper sauce which is freaking amazing. I'll give him some in trade. Turns out he's a beekeeper too! I had to talk to him about a recent patient and he showed me his cheese fridge in his office and said I could help myself. I think he makes cheese weekly so might actually mean it. I will take him up on it for sure.

Tonight I'm starting two new ferments; a rose hip soda and a hard cider. DH and DS helped a friend with a cider press while I worked last weekend and she gave us a few jars of the cider. I'm trying a natural ferment with the cider, she's doing a yeast hard cider. I'm sure they'll be different so it'll be fun to compare in a few months. DS and I have been collecting rose hips from the woods this last week and I'll process them tonight and see what we think of the soda.

No pictures, flickr was irritating me so I gave up. I'll try again.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Super exciting!! I'm psyched to hear how the learning curve goes and how things shake out. It's good that you're getting set up now as the temps are dropping, rather than moving in in January.

Cold feet are terrible.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Boots are a good investment. Get some good socks to go with the boots if you dont have some. I like the rei brand wool hiking socks. Darn tough is often mentioned in bifl
and fire circles but the ones I bought turned out to be thinner and less comfortable for me.

Imgur is a good way to host pics to use on the forum.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

Down booties go a long way in dry spaces for keeping feet warm as a potential alternative. I basically live in mine all winter with a thin pair of socks to help wick away moisture. This was essential for winter van/snow/yurt camping in the snow. Boots are great for outdoors, but constantly cleaning up snow/puddles was a huge drag. Not sure if snow is a problem for you, but something to consider.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Military mukluk liners are a very good low cost alternative to down booties. I have used the air force mukluks with liners as my primary winter footwear for the past 3 years. When I go on cabin trips, i simply remove the mukluks and walk around in the liners once I reach the cabin. You should be able to find a pair online for $10-15.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

okay, some shots from imgur, thanks gdp.

https://i.imgur.com/VobdwA3.jpg" the floor looking towards the front of the bus.

https://i.imgur.com/mF2M2QQ.jpg" the back of the master bedroom with custom shelving. a goofy kid.

"https://i.imgur.com/fxdYVAx.jpg"bedroom ceiling, no tung oil treatment yet which should tone down the big color contrast.

@ah, I'm actually pretty happy we didn't move in during summer as the heat would have been hard to deal without a fully insulated bus. Fall is good as there is still plenty of warm days. I think we'll be comfortable sleeping, it's making food and all that stuff that will be interesting.

@mountainfrugal, I've read about your down booties before, I have a pair I'm watching on poshmark because of your suggestion. Snow is something we deal with out here, though I'm not sure about the new location it's across the valley and maybe it's different?

@theanimal I'm into the minimalist footwear which slims down the options for boots, those military mukluks look badass though!

I'm going to apply for free/reduced lunch for DS. I learned that we qualify today. I'm not overly impressed with what food options I've seen but he doesn't routinely eat the high quality food we make for him for lunch.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

@mooretrees- The boots are not as great as they appear. They are not durable at all and I wouldn't recommend them. However, the liners are a different story. They are comparable to down booties, at a much lower cost. They are regularly available on eBay and can compress down just like down booties. See these as an example of what I am talking about. https://www.amazon.com/Military-Extreme ... th=1&psc=1

shaz

Post by shaz »

The bus is looking good. It's so exciting that you will be moving into it!

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

oh wow this is quite cool. congrats on the bus getting closer and closer to final shape!