Things you wished told your psychiatrist/therapist before you spend thousands on them // ROI on professional help

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Stahlmann

Things you wished told your psychiatrist/therapist before you spend thousands on them // ROI on professional help

Post by Stahlmann »

From my perspective, I just want to monetize my suffering in the form of social disability/housing.

I heard on local 4chan about case that after being locked in psychiatric unit for observation, somebody got schizophrenia diagnosis (and then possible benefits) just by being muted during whole stay :lol: Stoic, wu-wei style for getting paid for your problems.

____

The visit is sponsored by lady, who told me that I'm one of the smartest people she knows. On the daily basis, she treats middle-aged yuppies (like 40yo Lawyers, doctors) who suffers from lack of meaning (what the hell..., BTW nice base of clients to groom). I also got told that I should work for Google with given intelligence (it isn't happening :lol: ). Yea, I'm probably overreacting, neurotypicals tend to say random things to make the other party happy.

_____

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/306 ... -ourselves

_____
People want an authority to tell them how to value things, but they choose this authority, not based on facts or results. They choose it because it seems authoritative and familiar. And I am not, nor ever have been, "familiar."

Bonde

Re: Things you wished told your psychiatrist/therapist before you spend thousands on them // ROI on professional help

Post by Bonde »

Stahlmann wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:06 am
I heard on local 4chan about case that after being locked in psychiatric unit for observation, somebody got schizophrenia diagnosis (and then possible benefits) just by being muted during whole stay :lol: Stoic, wu-wei style for getting paid for your problems.
The story most likely comes from an old study by an antropologist and some students in the 70s found that you could be admitted for months if you said that you hear voices only at the admission. Later they denied hearing voices or any other voices but were still admitted for months to observe them for mental disorders.
That's not how psych work anymore. The asylums have been closed in most of the world. In Denmark there are more patient in need than we can treat at our inpatient units. All inpatients are getting evaluated for discharge on most days because the ward is full. Beds are placed in other rooms not meant to have a bed to create room for all the patients.

It would be a loose-loose situation for you. Either you would loose your zen in the first few hours because of the suffering you see around you or the doctors and nurses will keep interviewing you and do all sorts of test: blood, CT/MR of the brain, physical exam and so on.
If you stay for a few day in silence then it could be like catch 66. Only persons with a psyhocsis would do such a thing and it would take some good explanation to the doctor before you are able to leave. Maybe you will not be allowed to leave for a few days to observe that you are after all functioning normally and you might have to show up at a psych clinic after discharge. You also risk of getting treated with medication against your will. The laws for doing that varies in different countries/states.
Be careful, a Dane did very badly on purpose in an intelligence test after a minor offense. He ended up at a secure institution for people with severe intellectual handicaps. His life was hell and it took forever to change the ruling. Online translation should be able to make this article in Danish understandable: https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/regionale/mid ... st-det-fik

But please don't try it out. I work in psych and have a large international network. All over the world psych is under a lot of pressure. We don't want to waste our time talking to people that don't need help.

chenda

Re: Things you wished told your psychiatrist/therapist before you spend thousands on them // ROI on professional help

Post by chenda »

+1 to everything Bonde said. A psychiatic ward is not a nice place to be, believe me.

You need to be honest with this psychiatrist (or whatever she is) to get an accurate diagnosis.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

If you are there, you MUST take the medication they give you. If you don't, they'll make you. Psychoactive meds will fuck up your head if you don't need them.

Stop looking for shortcuts already, man. There's no magical shortcut to doing the work. Not with women, not with finances, nothing

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

I have a sibling who stayed in a psych ward on multiple occasions due to contemplating suicide. It is much like any other hospital stay; they keep you there just long enough until they consider you stable enough to be discharged (in their case, it was about 3 days each time).

Also, you need to have good insurance for this. Hospitals cost money (if in the US).

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

The title is in broken English, but I think you are asking a bad question. Therapists are trained professionals who are trying to help you with personal emotional issues / struggles and/ or behavioral struggles. Their job is usually to try to help you retrain neurological patterning you have developed over time to help you make healthier decisions / have healthier behavioral patterns. So asking others what lessons learned are, is probably going to end up being non-useful. Unless you came in and made this post just wanting a confirmation bias about how you already felt (which I hope you didn’t).

Finding a good therapist for you is also difficult. There are bad therapists, good therapists that are a bad fit for you, and then good therapists that are a good fit for you. You try to find the correct kind for you by having some understanding of what you want going in, and then let it drive the search. Most will do short intro/ intake sessions for free to see if you are a good fit or whatever (at least in the US). But it may take you a couple to find someone you can work with well. And behavioral changes take time to implement, and the therapist is trying to map your issues versus how to help you based entirely on the words you say and not being able to actually see how you feel / etc. So it’s a tough task, and it takes time, but I know a lot of people who have benefited massively from therapy, and I know some others for whom it has been less helpful. I think it depends on what you want from it, and willingness to do the work, and expectations of what would come out.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

ertyu wrote:Stop looking for shortcuts already, man. There's no magical shortcut to doing the work. Not with women, not with finances, nothing
There aren't any magical shortcuts, but there are shortcuts. People can waste a lot of life energy doing psychologically easy "hard" work rather than psychologically difficult "easy" work. In my experience, shortcuts are often just variations on reality checks.

Jean

Post by Jean »

if the lady sponsored the meeting, i can imagine that the chance that there is a good fit between you and the therapist might be quite high. as said, finding a therapist that fits is difficult, so i wouldn't waste a chance like that to get a therapist that fits you by trying to tell bs to get interned.