Homebrew ROi

Move along, nothing to see here!
grundomatic

Re: Homebrew ROi

Post by grundomatic »

I did one batch of wine to use up baskets full of pears I had access to. Time monkeying with boiling wort and steeping grain was replaced with chopping pears. The recipe I used called for a bag of sugar to be added, which made me wonder why I had even bothered with the pears. The wine ended up being well liked, and for those that didn't like it as dry and strong as I had made it, I just added sprite to make it a "wine cooler".

vexed87

Re: Homebrew ROi

Post by vexed87 »

I have an all grain setup. It's definitely paying for itself, with 4x330ml cans of my favoured style (NEIPA) costing upwards of £7 at the local convenience store. I can produce 40L batches, arguably fresher, higher quality and better tasting beer about £1.40/ UK pint (568ml) for a hop forward style (£££), or closer to £0.80 for a euro lager style (which is malt forward and therefore light on hops, and therefore much cheaper). Buying grain in bulk and getting into cheapskate brewing techniques like no chill, yeast harvesting and DIY fermenter/heaters helps keep ingredient, energy use and capital investment low. If there's interest, I'll document my setup.