Something From Nothing Log

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Something From Nothing Log

Post by jacob »

C40 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:32 am
1 - Always keep your knife on you. Be ready to protect your family and property with your knife. Keep an eye out, especially at night. Keep your knife on you.... ALWAYS KEEP YOUR KNIFE ON YOU
Fun fact: I've traded a SOG knife with a forumite and eventually traded it away again to another forumite. Names withheld for privacy. Perhaps I'm living in over[t]ly civilized areas, but I've found foldable scissors to be more useful overall. I have a $15 cheapass Benchmade knife (or maybe it's Buck, it was $15) that I use for batoning firewood when camping. That, indeed, is pretty much all I ever use it for. DW wants me to get a hand-axe. But I don't want to risk a finger or two in return for effort.

For EDC in urban environments, I think scissors are underrated.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

Agreed, Jacob! DH gifted me a small Swiss army knife that attaches to the my keys. It got a blade and scissors, 9 times out of 10 I use the scissors.
Then again, I live in rural Bavaria, so if I ever feel unsafe (which does not happen often) I put my keys between my knuckles for added protection.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

That SEAL knife may have actually belonged to somebody at Camp Pendleton. They periodically toss those guys out of helicopters and make them swim back to shore. Great find.

I love my little Swiss Army knife. Over the years I learned that the small one was best because it’s easiest to carry. The best tool is the one you have when you need it. Somehow the Swiss cross puts people at ease even though it’s a real knife.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Funny, I carry a loop everywhere too. Also a clip-on microscope lens for my phone.

I use them all the time to figure out artist signatures and such. Last week a friend asked me to use the microscope on a piece of jewelry with tiny Japanese characters. I was able to snap and photo and run it through google translate to discover that it was junk.

candide

Post by candide »

This Porter Cable impact driver was sitting in the road right by the stop sign to enter my neighborhood. I was able to also perform a good deed and help a neighbor not drive over it as I was walking to look at it.

The thing works and the battery pack has some charge. Looking up the code on the lithium battery, it seems that buying a charger for it would be cheaper than the cheapest cordless impact drivers I can buy for retail -- and most of those are tool only, anyways, so this would still be a cheaper set-up.

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

On my way to the thrift store today I found a large pile of discarded items along the side of the road. Pulled over and started sifting through tons of junk when I came across a some great items. Found a 250GB super slim PS3 console, an original 500GB PS4 console, a black PS4 controller, a 250GB Xbox 360S hard drive, a new unbranded vintage designed skateboard deck, a complete World Industries skateboard, a 22 inch mini cruiser skateboard and a new bottle of Cabernet wine.

I was skeptical that the video game related items would work since they were all in very rough cosmetic condition. I tested everything and it all worked! I was actually very shocked they were all discarded considering how much they still fetch in the used market (PS4 ~$150-$200, PS3 ~ $60-$100). Everything will need a good cleaning but it was a good day sourcing goodies.

seanconn256

Post by seanconn256 »

I found two chairs at the dumpster in front of my apartment; and to my surprise they were made of real wood! I have made two things with them so far... an easel and some rigging for a clothesline.
I didn't take a picture of the chairs before I started to disassemble; but here is one chair midway:

Easel:

Clothesline (theres a little wooden beam tied to the drain pipe - that was part of the chair):

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

cool

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

seanconn256 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:05 pm
an easel ...
Unwrap that canvas and fling some paint!

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

Found a box of organic produce today on my way to the post office. I was fully expecting some of it to be spoiled or old. Nope. The original order slip was included and had yesterday's date (08/25/22). The red leaf lettuce was a little withered from the heat but everything else was in perfect shape. No bugs, bruises or rot. The weird thing is, with the exception of the organic chicken eggs, nothing was missing. Washed the kale and made some pineapple kale smoothies. Tasted pretty good considering kale was once nothing more than edible plate decoration. :lol:

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

This woman might be the patron saint of DumpsterFIRE:

https://www.curbed.com/2022/09/lower-ea ... trash.html

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

I sold two portable AC units that were taking up space in my apartment. One of them was previously installed in my living room but there were too many issues associated with running it. I decided to cut my losses (mostly my time making the custom window for the exhaust hose) and get rid of it.
I sold this smaller gray one for $85 within 4 hours of listing it. The younger couple that picked it up was extremely grateful and I was happy to see it go to them.
I sold this larger unit for $160 within 12 hours of listing it. A guy in his 30's came from a town that was experiencing a 100°+ heat wave. His central AC recently went out and was getting quotes of $6000-$7000 to repair it :shock: .

I held on to both of these units for far too long. I found both in the alleyway next to my apartment and thought I'd use them some day. Well that day eventually came and I was disappointed in their performance. I learned that the single hose units (exhaust air) are inefficient but are far more common (likely because they are cheaper to manufacture). Two hose units, although more uncommon, are more efficient and do a better job of cooling the room. They are less 'portable' and a little more expensive upfront but do serve their purpose well.
This is the two hose AC unit I installed in my bedroom about three years ago. The two hoses are a bit of an eye sore but I think it's a fair trade for some relief from the heat.

seanconn256

Post by seanconn256 »

I've decided to intentionally run by the dumpsters near my apartment complex during my daily jog, and it's paid dividends in short order.

In the last month I've found an essentially new ~80$ desk, and a 120$ electric piano. The electric piano didn't power on at first, but after testing the AC adapter with a multimeter, I saw it was not working, which probably meant the keyboard itself was fine. I had an AC adapter for an old modem with the same voltage and similar amperage, and upon plugging it in it powered on just fine.

Cam

Post by Cam »

Nice job seaconn256. It is amazing how simple some repairs can be. I've got a couple power tools up and running again by simply replacing a frayed power cord.

Today I did some quick and dirty metal fabrication. I have hoops on my raised beds so I can put shading cloth or clear plastic on depending on the need. For a while one of the braces has been nearly broken. I made the original ones out of old 2x4. They are ugly but they work. But today I fabricated a replacement brace out of some copper pipe. I cut about 12cm out of some 3/4" copper pipe with a hack saw, then sliced it lengthwise down the middle with my angle grinder. I flattened the tubing out, then bent it around the plastic tubing. Then I used a hammer and a heavy chunk of steel to flatten the edges. Then I drilled two holes for the screws, and voila!

In less practical terms I also made a fire blower. I took some leftover 3/4" tubing with 1/8" wall thickness to use for the tube. Then I cut a square cap of 1/8" steel to use as a cap. Both the tube and cap are here.
Then I welded the cap on using some 1/8" 6011 rod and my chinese welder. Then I ground the welds down with a flap wheel, drilled a hole, and voila! Image

Now I can blow on the coals of a fire we're having with ease. Either to help get the fire going, or just for the fun of it. From start to finish both of these projects together took me about 30 minutes to complete. Not bad at all I don't think, considering how long they'll both last. :D

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

I sold a backwards compatible PS3 (model CECHE01) today for $250 today. I found this console and 2 controllers about 6 months ago in the alleyway next to my apartment. Although the console turned on, the controllers were sporadic without any physical input. It seemed that the previous owner assumed the console was damaged and decided to discard everything. After some research, I found that the controller input issue was common and an easy fix. I fixed both controllers, completely disassembled and cleaned the console (including changing out the thermal paste).

These particular consoles are prone to failure, even from general use. They are a high dollar collectors item and I thought it would be best to pocket the money before it broke on me.

C40

Post by C40 »

That's a nice score. A teenager's dream

Cam

Post by Cam »

I finally finished my kindling cracker! The blade is 5/8" flat bar, ground down to a pointy edge. The frame is made from 2"x2"x1/4" angle iron, and the top is 3/4" rebar. Most of the welds were done with 1/8" 7018 or 6010. The only different weld is one right across the top of the blade. I used a hardfacing rod, running at about 120 amps. Hardfacing rods are used for laying down a very hard bead of metal. They're often used to line tractor buckets to reduce the wear from rocks and sand. It lays down a bead of metal that is 55-60HRC which is about equal hardness to a quality knife or chisel blade https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockwell_scale. So once the blade was almost sharp, I ran a bead across the top. Then I sharpened that edge to a point. This way the blade will hold its edge far longer than it would if it was regular old mild steel.

I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. It works great (that pile took me about 25 minutes and I enjoyed every moment of it), it looks great, and it's fun to use. Success! And the only cost for me was the consumables used (grinder wheels, welding rods) and the four bolts. All the other materials were scavenged, including the base which is scrap wood from my uncle who builds log homes. Woohoo! :D

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Nice project! Will save you lots of time in the future and it's the kind of thing that will last and be useful "forever" with a little maintenance.

Cam

Post by Cam »

Thanks! Yeah just a sharpening now and then. Maybe long term another bead of hard facing when the top layer eventually wears down. The other welds are technically good up to 70,000lbs tensile strength so they shouldn't be breaking :lol:

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Depending on who has access to it an easy complementary project might be to make a cover for the blade or the whole unit. I could see a kid trying to climb on it or something.