Generational Differences

Move along, nothing to see here!
jennypenny

Re: Generational Differences

Post by jennypenny »

Here's the replay of the Howe webcast. It was pretty good ... some financial and demographic stuff, some political commentary, some sympathy for recessive GenX. :lol:

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

It’s the beginning of caucus season in my neck of the woods. DH geeks out on this stuff and goes to anybody who shows up. I went with him last weekend to a campaign event. The candidate talked about this issues of Boomer and Millennial voters and never mentioned Xer’s despite being Gen X. Drove home that Gen X does not have the clout of either of the generations around them.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

non-muricans, do you find this stuff applies? what big events impacted generational groups in your country and how did this make generations different?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Neil Howe was on Peak Prosperity recently.* I wasn't expecting much but it was pretty interesting to hear Howe's take on the pandemic and how different generations handle it. Martenson was also more restrained than usual and let Howe riff uninterrupted.

* youtube link for those who wish to fast forward through life

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Howe was on McAlveney's commentary recently if anyone is interested in Howe's current thoughts. The second half gets to the red meat like the likelihood of civil war, China, and other fun topics.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

I will hijack this topic, and I'm looking for ways to solve the below issue:

I think I could earn some money from local retires who sometimes gathered 30yrs points in Western Europe. On some level I consider them as ingrate bastards (I won't prolly be able to piggyback next generations of fools due to climate change and resource depletion).

Yea, one day I'm going to be also old and doing simple things going to hurt me... but how to overcome:
- this kind envy of money/status
- religion... I see this that even as hardcore rationalist, I'm going to join organized church as boredom killer, but now for me, it's an efficient way to take money from gullible people and offer somewhat not verifiable potential benefits
- lack of empathy; this is more connected with ideas of "kick down, lick up" mentality, fake leadership and lack of mentorship I've encountered IRL (← this should finally explain my extreme hatred towards older and higher status men, which was present in many topics, you know caged animal can one day break the chains of slavery and be dangerous to the visitors...); possible Asperger syndrome too

At the end of the day, I like easy earned bucks.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Redacted
Last edited by chenda on Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I commend all the non English as a native speaker users who've posted over the years. Stahlmann's English has improved dramatically and I wouldn't be surprised if his participating in the forum is also a boon of that.

Now to the contents of the post, I don't think you are going to find many people here who are going to encourage you with the attitude of entitlement. Others have suggested a few different ways to achieve what you want in your journal. Have you followed up and done any of those things?

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

theanimal wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:52 am
Stahlmann's English has improved dramatically and I wouldn't be surprised if his participating in the forum is also a boon of that.
Maybe Google Translate just got better =D

j/k

chenda

Post by chenda »

theanimal wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:52 am
I commend all the non English as a native speaker users who've posted over the years.
I also do. To be fair I read things very literally so the problem might be partially my comprehension.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Stahlmann wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:11 am
possible Asperger syndrome too
@Stahlmann - Firstly, I apologise for my comment above which was uncalled for. But as you mention aspergers, maybe its worth getting a professional diagnosis ? It could be useful in helping you focus on things you would naturally excel at.

WFJ

Post by WFJ »

Stahlmann wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:11 am
I will hijack this topic, and I'm looking for ways to solve the below issue:

I think I could earn some money from local retires who sometimes gathered 30yrs points in Western Europe. On some level I consider them as ingrate bastards (I won't prolly be able to piggyback next generations of fools due to climate change and resource depletion).

Yea, one day I'm going to be also old and doing simple things going to hurt me... but how to overcome:
- this kind envy of money/status
- religion... I see this that even as hardcore rationalist, I'm going to join organized church as boredom killer, but now for me, it's an efficient way to take money from gullible people and offer somewhat not verifiable potential benefits
- lack of empathy; this is more connected with ideas of "kick down, lick up" mentality, fake leadership and lack of mentorship I've encountered IRL (← this should finally explain my extreme hatred towards older and higher status men, which was present in many topics, you know caged animal can one day break the chains of slavery and be dangerous to the visitors...); possible Asperger syndrome too

At the end of the day, I like easy earned bucks.
Most if not all older men would trade their wealth for youth in a heartbeat. Although most would not waste their time lamenting older rich people if they were young again. You appear to be observing only the results of a long journey many have had to endure to achieve success.

"If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all."
Michelangelo