New smoking

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
chenda

Re: New smoking

Post by chenda »

WFJ wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:43 pm
Didn't read all above, but there is no impending famine, have you been to a Walmart recently? The average person is fatter than King Henry VIII, enough calories to live for years with only water.
Thats because they're eating shite. Cheap empty calories with poor nutrition. Which is why obesity, as with smoking, is now associated with lower class culture when historically only the wealthy could afford to get fat. Or eat meat regularly.

Fat women were once highly sought after. Like suntans were once associated with peasants who worked in the fields. Coco Chanel turned tanning into a symbol of leisured affluence. Although now concerns over skin cancer have made tanning salons somewhat taboo. Where in the 1980s they were fashionable.

oldbeyond

Post by oldbeyond »

I don’t think the risks are similar. See https://www.theguardian.com/science/sif ... f-evidence

If you look at the health impact of a modern Western diet and lifestyle in its entirety (obesity, diabetes etc) I’d say the future will judge us harshly, but a big part of that is HCFS, sugar, refined grains and refined vegetable oils in addition to the bacon and lunch meat.

prudentelo

Post by prudentelo »

guitarplayer wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:57 am
Reading studies on the short- and long-term effect of eating meat and dairy on the body, it strikes me how meat and dairy consumption resembles tobacco consumption. For example, consumption of both increases chances of cancer later in life.
From what I read in journals some time ago, only true for processed meats with nitrates.

Cancer danger from "tobacco" "only" from cigarettes. 20th century problem. But smoking tobacco is older.

High protein diet itself is good. Look how tall North Chinese are now.

As said by others, Western diet main problems are 1. overconsumption 2. "poor taste". "Food shortage" would fix these for a long time before it starts to hurt. In the West anyway.

WFJ

Post by WFJ »

chenda wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:05 pm
Thats because they're eating shite. Cheap empty calories with poor nutrition. Which is why obesity, as with smoking, is now associated with lower class culture when historically only the wealthy could afford to get fat. Or eat meat regularly.

Fat women were once highly sought after. Like suntans were once associated with peasants who worked in the fields. Coco Chanel turned tanning into a symbol of leisured affluence. Although now concerns over skin cancer have made tanning salons somewhat taboo. Where in the 1980s they were fashionable.
The Victorian beauty standards must be coming back in the US.