Single pair of shoes

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
Dave

Re: Single pair of shoes

Post by Dave »

If I really had to pick just one, I'd go with some sort of trailrunner.

In reality, I wear these 1/2 - 2/3 of the time year-round: https://xeroshoes.com/shop/genesis/genesis-men/

Price tag is steep for what they are, but I bought my first pair on sale and they have a nice warranty where you can rebuy a new pair at 40% of retail once the sole is worn out. When I've had issues with hardware breaking, the company has been very helpful.

Absolutely love the barefoot feel, airing of the whole foot, and ease of putting on/taking off.

I've done some legitimate hikes (10+ miles on uneven terrain) in these and also worn them when its cold (but not snowy) out. Biofeedback in wearing these shoes makes hiking nicer than it probably looks, and one's feet adapt to the cold. If it's not obvious, these aren't the sort of footwear you can go to wearing 100% of the time if you're used to be thick supportive footwear - there is an adjustment phase in your feet/ankles/legs/hips/spine.

When I lived in the tropics I probably wore these 80% of the time and trailrunners the other 20% of the time when doing something where I wanted a tad more support or stability like an especially intense hike or working out. I also try to go barefoot as much as possible :).

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

Jean wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:19 am

i just hiked about 50 miles in 2 days in the alps,
Man, you're a bull. I wonder if there are specific professions (except special forces) which handsomely reward such endurance. Perhaps offshore work - oil rigs, multiday fishing trips etc? Also, from what I've read, geology field work can be basically hiking in the total wilderness, in exchange for a six figure salary. It requires you to be both book smart, intelligent/observant (geologists need to form theories based on scant info available to them on the ground) as well as comfortable living in a tent for weeks in total wilderness, while you survey the land.

Jean

Post by Jean »

zbigi wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:48 pm
Man, you're a bull. I wonder if there are specific professions (except special forces) which handsomely reward such endurance. Perhaps offshore work - oil rigs, multiday fishing trips etc? Also, from what I've read, geology field work can be basically hiking in the total wilderness, in exchange for a six figure salary. It requires you to be both book smart, intelligent/observant (geologists need to form theories based on scant info available to them on the ground) as well as comfortable living in a tent for weeks in total wilderness, while you survey the land.
It was 50 milles-effort, so much less for real, and my backpack was very light.
But i think the wear on the shoes was equivalent to 50 miles, because going up or down makes you bend the shoe, which is one of the main way i break my shoes.
I have no lust to learn a new job, and there isn't much land left to survey in switzerland.
My best hope is that transportation cost will get high enough so that i could be able to compete against helicopters and make a living delivering goods to isolated places.

chenda

Post by chenda »

@Jean perhaps you could train people to walk safely in the mountains as a guide? Weather forecasts, getting lost, basic first aid etc. I imagine most Swiss people grow up with this knowledge but tourists might benefit.

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

Jean wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:32 am

I have no lust to learn a new job, and there isn't much land left to survey in switzerland.
The adventurous kind of geology jobs revolve around resource discovery and definitely involve living in remote places (middle of steppe in Mongolia, a jungle in Kongo etc.) for weeks/months. In Europe and other tamed areas, the geo jobs are mostly "boring" and don't require a survivalist skillset.
My best hope is that transportation cost will get high enough so that i could be able to compete against helicopters and make a living delivering goods to isolated places.
Interesting! The other alternative is that people will just abandon remote houses with no road access? In Poland, the higher mountains are uninhabited, as no one even dreams of groceries and fuel being delivered via helicopters :)

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Jean wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:32 am
That would be a real fun business. You have me thinking. I think you could market it as a carbon free alternative and charge slightly less or even the same amount as the helicopter company. Be the green way to transport goods and eliminate any guilt people may have from using those services.

I'm interested in doing the same here, but would be competing against bush planes. There is a large market of urban folks from within Alaska and outside the state who get dropped off in remote places to recreate then get food drops via plane along the way (for $500-600/drop). It wouldn't be a ton of money, but it would be a hell of an experience.

ETA: Alternatively, you could use pack animals and be able to pack much more. One of my friends wants to start an Alpaca Packing business, resupplying hikers, hunters, floaters etc.

Jean

Post by Jean »

i ran the number once. You have a chance of being competitive for remote mountain hut, were you could do the walk in a few hour while carying 80kg. But 80kg is above the weight you can healthily carry, and many of those huts get a free resupply because helicooter pilots just like to fly up there.

I thought seriously about giving outdoor classes, because most of them are either centered around bs survival, or just being hiking guide. I think there would be demand among people that would like to take a break to do a long distance hiking, but with no experience of sleeping outside and are therefore scared to try it without guidance. I would focus on feeling comfortable and being respectfull so that locals don't even think about making spots unavailable for overnight stay.