Wargaming

How to explain ERE, arranging family matters
zbigi

Re: Wargaming

Post by zbigi »

white belt wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:25 pm
Nowadays one can continue to play and build decks on Magic Online or Arena when there is no one to play against in person, right?

I’m close to pulling the trigger on playing some draft formats online to see how I like it, then potentially building up to some in-person draft events.
What's your skill level? The drafts on both mtgo and Arena cost in-game currency, which you can then recoup by going well in them. If you don't though, they can be quite expensive in the longer term.

grundomatic

Post by grundomatic »

One can absolutely keep themselves occupied with MtG stuff when there aren't people to play, it just requires some non-consumer discipline. If the actual playing of the game and the competition is what drives you, you could spend hours of free time at work reading articles about the current draft format, looking at successful draft decks, and even practicing the draft part on free simulators before diving in.

I don't pay anything to play arena. I can typically win back my entry in drafts, and even build up a buffer of in-game currency. Then when I hit a losing streak, I just play the intro decks to complete challenges until I have enough in-game currency to draft again. I just made it a rule that I would not be spending money to play online. Sometimes it means I can't draft for a while, which is fine. Helps keep me from getting addicted to online play.

We could also set up an ERE play group, and run the preconstructed decks, pauper, or artisan decks up against each other. We could also use old draft decks against one another if we remember to save them. You don't get rewards for playing friends, but it prevents being stomped in the queue by the best standard decks. It's not a problem when you first start out, but if you win too much it will start happening.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob »

grundomatic wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:34 am
We could also set up an ERE play group, and run the preconstructed decks, pauper, or artisan decks up against each other. We could also use old draft decks against one another if we remember to save them. You don't get rewards for playing friends, but it prevents being stomped in the queue by the best standard decks. It's not a problem when you first start out, but if you win too much it will start happening.
Might even be playable over zoom? Webcams show the cards on the table. Drawing cards, etc. on the honor system?

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

There are also plenty of free-to-play programs and mods for other games that let you play MTG online and versus friends without buying and cards or decks at all. Obviously these have no intrinsic rewards and are more susceptible to net decking, but I have one of my subgroups of friends who play EDH a few times per week and haven't spent money on the actual cards in years (or ever, for some of them).

grundomatic

Post by grundomatic »

Wizards has a program called spelltable for playing paper cards online. I have a couple friends that use it. Using this and/or what @Slevin mentioned, we could totally put something together for forumites to play, if interested.