Mouche says hi

Say hello!!
Mouche

Mouche says hi

Post by Mouche »

Hi there! Mouche, 32, living in France, avid reader of this forum for two years now, thought it was time to introduce myself.

How did I get here? I started off as a starving artist type, never really cared about money (=evil) until I had to do crappy jobs to get by, and I couldn’t stand feeling tied up to a job for life: that’s how I discovered FIRE (I don’t remember how?), then YMOYL and eventually ERE, as well as Robert Wringham. FIRE seemed like a distant dream for high-earning Americans whereas YMOYL/ERE/escapology seemed doable on a lower salary.
That’s how I got hooked; but I stayed because of the focus on ecology, and started to see the beauty of system thinking, and how I could connect everything in the pursuit of ..balance on Earth, no less. (I’m INFP and my moral compass is loud!).

I started spending time lurking here in 2020, when I was unemployed, living at my mother’s and feeling like a massive failure. When I started tracking my money flows, I had no debt, 500 € in savings, 500 €/month in income and very low expenses (thanks mum... and lockdown). I counted my possessions, sold old music instruments and camera, found an extremely shitty but stress-free job, started training for a new degree (that was planned beforehand), then got a much better job and a room in a shared flat, and here I am now, hoping to reach 10 000 € NW at the end of the year (currently around 6500). That seems very low compared to most here, but for me that was unimaginable two years ago, and I read somewhere in here that the first 10 000 were the hardest, so…

I am trying to wrap my head around this money issue but any way I put it, I haven’t found (yet?) a way to invest that is easily accessible, works in my country and suits my ethical concerns. I am starting from scratch and have everything to learn, I just wonder where to start learning (I was thinking of reading Debt : The First 5000 Years by David Graeber). I tend to naturally focus more on ecology and lifestyle, but let’s be a Renaissance woman, shall we ? I don’t really pursue early retirement, it still seems completely ot of reach and not necessarily my focus, but to me ERE is like a compass, I know what to do, let’s just see where it leads :)

Thank you so much to Jacob and every poster here, I have learned so much in these two years, I think the change is for life. It really is like Matrix’s red pill. One unexpected side effect has been on mental health (due to physical activity, nutrition… but also the feeling of moving towards a higher purpose in a very practical way). And I really needed the boost, so thank you, really.

I’ll probably start a journal, still need to figure out how exactly. Thanks for reading!

Jean

Re: Mouche says hi

Post by Jean »

Hi, welcome!
I found Graeber Book interesting, but not very usefull. It's a good hypothesis on the origine of money.
If you find the style easy to you, I'de start with "Man, economy and state" by Murray Rothbard

chenda

Post by chenda »

Salut Mouche! Look forward to hearing more.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Welcome Mouche! What a wonderful introduction, it sounds like you've got a very firm direction and a good way of thinking about the path ahead. Looking forward to your journal.

I'm due to start Man, Economy, and State any day here, if you want a reading buddy :lol: Thanks for the reminder Jean.

Mouche

Post by Mouche »

Thanks, that's encouraging! I'll check Rothbard out. If others are interested, it's free on the Mises Institute website.
@AxelHeyst good idea :)

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to hearing more of your journey!

gettingfired

Post by gettingfired »

Coucou Mouche! Happy to see another French person here
I look forward to reading more :)

Chris

Post by Chris »

Congratulations on changing your situation. It's a big accomplishment to turn your ship and have it heading in a good direction.

And while 10k euros of savings may seem low around here, don't forget all the lurkers who are reading these forums (just like you for the past 2 years). Your story may be more common than you think.