Best of the ERE Forum!

Questions and comments
mathiverse

Best of the ERE Forum!

Post by mathiverse »

Let's share our links to favorite threads and comments in the ERE forum. This can serve as a fun reflection while also providing a thread to point to newcomers who don't want to dig for the gold in the history of the forum.

I'll start.

---

Thread: What is your FIRE number? Your expected FIRE expenses?

That thread starts out with a basic question you see on every FIRE forum, but it ends up getting to a great a discussion about the principles of ERE and how they differ from FI and E-ER.

A non-exhaustive list of notable comments: ---

Another notable comment mentioned in the comment by Fish in the post above: Jacob explains an archetype of person that fails E-ER

---

There was a discussion about the rarity of living on 1 JAFI or less that was interesting and maybe puts things in perspective: viewtopic.php?p=253762#p253762 (If you want to continue this discussion please post in the JAFI thread instead of in that journal!)
Last edited by mathiverse on Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Best of the ERE Forum!

Post by jacob »

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

Another great thread about what ERE is and the growth process: ERE vs sacrifice / The Wheaton scale of ERE.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

WL 5-6 Yields and flows: viewtopic.php?t=10897
WL 6-7 Systems: viewtopic.php?p=241145#p241145
Social Capital: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11998

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

Thread: My_Brain_Gets_Itchy's Journal

My_Brain_Gets_Itchy's Journal was an inspiring look at someone who leveled up with respect to ERE a lot over the time he was active in his journal.

---

Here is a great comment from Jacob from MBGI's journal:
Jacob describing why it's useful to develop competence in many areas rather than specializing

---

If you like ERE theory, then you'll love black_son_of_gray's journal!

---

Another journal that shows rapid progress in ERE (going from $70k/year spend to $22k/year spend with plans to keep going lower): The Education of Axel Heyst. AxelHeyst's journal also has many theory discussions and it also illustrates many mindset changes which are interesting to see. His journal is also interesting as a semiERE case study.
Last edited by mathiverse on Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

Another comment from Jacob about the difference between ERE and FIRE

---

Thread: The 4% Rule – A Castle in the Air

This thread is a discussion of the viability of the 4% rule, yes, but it ends up also being a discussion of the differences between ERE and FI and how ERE hedges better than doubling down on the 4% rule. There is also discussion of semiERE and classical_Liberal wrote a great comment about why healthcare isn't as scary as you might think.
Last edited by mathiverse on Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

Discussions of semi-ERE

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

This thread!

(hopefully this does not create a non-terminating loop :? :P :geek: )

Incidentally, in case any newbies are wondering, it's perfectly fine to revive the old threads highlighted here, in fact it is encouraged.

oldbeyond

Post by oldbeyond »

Do you really understand ERE?

viewtopic.php?p=74349#p74349

oldbeyond

Post by oldbeyond »

The Stoa presentations are also worth mentioning. Free of jargon (about Wheaton Levels etc) but still describing the framework. Might be easier to grasp for people starting out, and help those of us that find themselves lost in the map then and again ;)

viewtopic.php?t=11846

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

This is just a teaser, click through for the whole quote.
jacob wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:27 am
...The renaissance aspect of ERE is not to diversify one's income streams. It's to be able to play one's life tune using more than the four simple notes available to vacationing full time workers....

Bonde

Post by Bonde »

Matt3121: How to retire in 6 years as a Barista
Interesting thought experiment.
Barista is more or less interchangeable with other low income jobs in the US. Working at starbucks has an advantage concerning coffee (1lb free per week) and food (1 free item per shift).
Matt describes income and expenses incl. buying a house.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

This journal reads like a memoir and is a fun read:

viewtopic.php?t=8325&hilit=HalfMoon

candide

Post by candide »

EREer returns after 5 years off forum to report back in about retirement:

viewtopic.php?p=258757#p258757
Last edited by candide on Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

This is possibly my favorite thread on the forum. It is still going strong almost nine years later.

Life is a Daring Adventure: viewtopic.php?t=4130
Ego wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:17 am
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing ~ Helen Keller

----------------------

ERE can help to buy freedom and may provide tools for dealing with outright exposure, but freedom and tools get rusty without use. Here is a thread dedicated to those who are using them to the fullest.

If you believe it to be an adventure then post it. There is no right answer. The adventure can be in your head or on a spaceship to mars.

candide

Post by candide »

The master, spitting fire

viewtopic.php?p=261914#p261914

The whole thread is solid and filled with solid takes.

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

Viewing identity as a hyper object that others may see a lower dimension (or failure mode of), as posted by @jacob.
jacob wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:02 pm
Those sociocentric Kegan3 tribes can be quite the pain, alright. The way I've navigated it is to see myself as a hyperobject (this mental model really is quite useful). Picture a 3D cylinder (representing Kegan4+). One flatland-tribe (representing Kegan3) will see it as a square (from the side). Another (Kegan3) flatland-tribe will see it as a circle (from above).

(If you want, you can use dimensionality as an analogous metaphor for Kegan levels in terms of what facets the consciousness is aware of.)

If you're a cylinder you can never really fit in with the squares or the circles tribes. Or rather, the squares and the circles will never really grok the full you. Instead they'll each see a part of you.

In my case, the libertarians think I'm a Marxist, the kumbayas think I'm an evil capitalist, the minimalists think I own too many tools, the left thinks I'm too much into guns, the right thinks I trust government too much, and so on.

I've come to accept these limitations. Leaning towards being an individualistic introvert, I might have done the whole Kegan4+ on easy-mode.

However, the inability to truly fit into any Kegan3 tribe (which is 56% of people) also comes with the flexibility to join different tribes. Connecting over what you have in common rather than fighting over differences. Kegan3 can be approached in both ways. It's just that everybody has come to take for granted that differences means war.

The permaculture/natural principle of the edges being the most productive holds in general. The practicalities of ERE came about from combining the values of the simple living tribe (who thinks capitalism is evil) with the values of the capitalist tribe (who thinks deliberate consumption is evil). And so on.

Instead of trying desperately to align 100% with one tribe, it maybe be more useful to align 60-70% with two or more different tribes and bring them closer together. This can lend some [dynamic] purpose to your role in life?

I've found that insofar I manage to become part of any given tribe, call it A, I'm more likely to build bridges to other tribes, call it B, C, ..., because sociocentric thinking (herd feeling/monkey brain) is more about who says it than what is being said. With a foot in multiple camps---I step my foot into their dimension and appear as a circle or a square all things depending---I can communicate with tribes in a way that tribal outsiders can not. I can skew the squares towards the circle and vice versa. The only way to do this is to avoid the "black/white"-thinking, which in this metaphorical framework is better thought of as "perpendicular"-thinking.

As long as the majority of humans are still dominated by monkey-brain, this is a productive role for those who see the hyper object. Those who don't see it are kinda screwed. So ... maybe ... they can copy those who do.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

@Ego on cultivating interdependence
viewtopic.php?p=266871#p266871