Peter Lynch's One up on Wall Street

Your favorite books and links
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Peter Lynch's One up on Wall Street

Post by jacob »

https://www.amazon.com/One-Up-Wall-Stre ... 743200403/

It picks up in the second half of the book. The the first 100 pages is all "motivational salesy stuff"(*) meat appears after the first 6 chapters. Caveat is that I don't think it will be as useful to read w/o some experience/understanding of financial analysis. Basically, you'll get a loooong list of rules but w/o the background to understand them and an experiental context to put them into, the book does make it sound like it's a lot easier than it is.

New thing I learned: The system classifying stocks into 6 different categories seems useful [to me].

(*) So the basic shtick is that retail investors can beat the market because they know about consumer trends rather before professional analysts become aware of them. The first book https://www.amazon.com/Beating-Street-P ... 671891634/ was ~100% that. In the One Up book it becomes clear that substantial analysis/due diligence is still required. The book explains this process in detail. The edge as a retailer is being ahead of the curve. (Also size to an extent.)

Approximate level for the second half is ~Graham's Intelligent Investor... but more growth than value oriented.

Campitor

Re: Peter Lynch's One up on Wall Street

Post by Campitor »

I’ve read the book last year. Visiting companies you “own” or want to own creates logistical expenses but I found the book valuable in regards to how to think rather than what to think when investing.

Dipping into the market requires intestinal fortitude otherwise mistakes are made when panicking or falling in love with turd corporations. And reading company filings are the bread and butter of finding undervalued gems. And you’ll lose money on some investments but should be coming out ahead if doing due diligence. I plan to re-read it.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

I will always place this book into a special place because this is the first investing book I came across when I was deployed in Afghanistan back in 2013. This book led me to pursue finance studies and investing my money...which led me to eventually finding what to do with the money (Is retiring early a possibility?) <--something that I googled which led me to MMM and then to here eventually.

If I remember correctly, this book introduced the PEG concept. Price to Earnings to Growth ratio. Though, I have forgotten how growth is forecasted.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

If I recall correctly, the PEG method was to be used as a marker for flagging a company for further research and not to be used as a final indicator of growth or acquisition desirability as explained in Graham’s book.

avalok

Post by avalok »

I read this a couple of months ago as a "break" from Bodie et al and really enjoyed it. It was far more enjoyable to read than drier books like Graham, though having only ever done passive index investing before, I was definitely taken with how easy he makes it sound.

On further reflection I wonder whether the book is very much of its time. For example, the advice to ignore macro trends works if the environment is sound for equities, but could be catastrophic if not. He also implies that anything but equities is not worthwhile, which again only works in a equity-positive environment. As a beginner I had to separate some of this advice (to question further) from the more valuable content, such as the stock categories and his walkthrough of valuation.

Still a good book; thank you for the recommendation. :)