Move along, nothing to see here!
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Are You In "The 1%"?

Post by jacob »

jacob wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:47 pm
(Beware that everybody is using their own SDs. The article above seems to use SD=18.5 which is unusual. Standard Binet is 16.)
Correction: Brain fart. The 1% IQ article is using SD=16.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

unemployable wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:42 pm
I presume that wasn't a typo.
Doesn’t matter, it still is one of the best one liners of 2022 for me

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

jacob wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:59 am
It's because gaming is considered consumptive rather than productive. Exceptions include making skins, maps, etc.
However, after swearing off gaming 25 years ago (going from 2-3 hours per day to 2-3 hours per year on average) I've recently picked it up again. The drive to be productive for all things at all times began to feel a bit stifling similar to how associating an activity with an external reward eventually destroys inner motivation.
Maybe feeling the need to be productive 100% of your time is some sort of slavery as well.
We are advanced animals, but animals after all.
Sometimes, finding time for "mindless play" I feel is good for my well being.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

How this thread diverted from the OP! In any case, wrt play, Homo Ludens made for a nice read for me some years back.

fingeek

Post by fingeek »

"The ability to choose your own jailcell" rings very true for me. As does noticing that I definitely need some form of jailcell post-work - some sort of "load"/"burden" to offer two more arbitrary words to the set. Whether that's intrinsic or extrinsic personally, I expect the need for _some_ pull/push might be the same for most here and elsewhere.

I don't fully buy that "gaming is considered consumptive rather than productive" as isn't it really all just arbitrary? It's really more a case of "what are you optimising/solving for?". You might be gaming to improve your reaction time, or to learn about game play and engine design... So that you can build your own game. Equally you might volunteer in a shopping centre... So you can canvas for easy manipulation targets. In my mind it's all ultimately subjective.

sky

Post by sky »

Rather than striving for some abstract Meaning, one can create meaning by doing things which promote enjoyment, fascination, friendship and accomplishment. There is nothing inherently wrong with working, but time spent working must pass the test of "could I be doing something better with my time?"

shaz

Post by shaz »

+1 what @sky said. Striving for abstract Meaning left me stressed and full of angst; the cure was to learn to be present in my body and day-to-day activities.