Bike helmet padding replacement

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
avalok

Bike helmet padding replacement

Post by avalok »

The interior padding of my bike helmet is perishing, exposing my scalp to velcro hooks (not pleasant). Instead of buying replacement pads, I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for alternatives/bodges? I have considered using a skull cap, but they are uncomfortable in the summer months.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Bike helmet padding replacement

Post by jacob »

Bandana? That's what I used to use under my hockey helmet to prevent sweat in my eyes. NorCal outdoor rink, so easily 90F+(32C+).

shaz

Post by shaz »

If the comfort/fit pads are breaking down due to age, you might want to check with the manufacturer whether that means the protective foam is also likely to be losing effectiveness. There's not much point to wearing a helmet that is no longer going to work when you need it.

avalok

Post by avalok »

@jacob, great idea! I have a couple of cycling snoods I could use to that end, and I reckon they'd provide good enough ventilation, thanks.

@shaz that is a very good point, though the helmet is only four years old, and I do not ride heavily. In fact, I am disappointed by how quickly the padding has deteriorated. I will reach out to the manufacturer to check regardless.

shaz

Post by shaz »

Also, if you are referring to the little foam pads that are used to adjust the fit, sometimes you can replace those with bits of foam weatherstripping.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

I had this problem and rode with bandanas for multiple years. I looked at replacing the foam pads, but my helmet was already 15 years old. I decided to purchase a new helmet last year and think it was money well spent.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

A bike shop might have some random pads laying around you could have. Or some local bike enthusiast might have some.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

I would seriously consider getting a new helmet if the low impact foam is decomposing. @shaz +1.

A guy I ride motorcycles with changes dirt and street helmets every four years. He wears Arai so it is a jaw dropping line item. He explained that foam degrades. It’s ability to plastically absorb impact gradually degrades as it gets abused over time - with oils, vibration and heat.

He’s a good mechanical engineer so I take his opinion pretty seriously. To illustrate he told me to look at old vs. new styrofoam and break it up. High impact foams don’t last forever. Especially if you are heat cycling and vibrating. The helmet is an engineered device and it probably won’t perform as designed if it’s material properties change dramatically.

Will it protect you? Sure it will. But not the same way the new units in test labs did.

I don’t change every four years but I do inspect and indentation (fingernail) test the high impact foam in my ski, bicycle and motorcycle helmets regularly. And I must admit, some of my ancient helmets have degraded. I retire them when they get worn inside since it is a reminder of the age.

We are generally pretty smart people here. Our brain is our most valuable asset. Don’t cheap out on brain protection.

avalok

Post by avalok »

@Sclass thank you, your point about our brains is very sobering.

I have checked with the manufacturer, who recommend changing helmet every three years. This isn't because the foam is guaranteed to have degraded by then, it may last another seven, but there are too many variables and the only way to find out could mean it was too late. I think it is time I looked into getting a new helmet. Glad I made this post! :shock: