jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Lemur Journal!

Post by jacob »

Lemur wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:09 pm
If not, long term holding it is anyway.
An long term investment is a short term bet gone wrong, eh?

white belt

Post by white belt »

jacob wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:49 pm
An long term investment is a short term bet gone wrong, eh?
Or a short term bet that’s closed to trading (like RSX).

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

Maybe as a SOFI shareholder you can tell them to loan people money.

I showed them over a million in gross income over 5 years of tax returns and they are treating me like a stripper asking to daisy chain NINJA mortgages.

All this after being bombarded with solicitations from them.

If you cannot figure out a way to lend money to millionaires, you’re doing it wrong.

Idiots, gimme the money.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

@Jacob - Yeah.... I should've put a "This is not financial Advice" disclaimer :lol:
Lemur wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:51 pm
SOFI just received its National Bank Charter and popped 16%. If you believe in this FinTech company for the long run, now would be a great time to get in if you believe the growth in membership can be sustained. SOFI stock price is 1/2 of its 52 week high of $28.26 (currently trading at $14.06).

I bought the majority of my shares at $20.00 (oof) but averaged down enough to get cost basis per share at $15.57.
This was the essence of my short-term bet...that I could make fairly quick money once the stock price popped from SOFI gaining the bank charter and if I was wrong, I could eventually get out with a profit anyway once the next earnings call came in and showed the inflow of deposits. What I did not see coming was the macro conditions that crushed the stock as well as, admittingly, not taking the bear case seriously enough. :oops: Namely - negative free cash flows, competition from other FinTechs, looming Macro conditions, and ridiculous stock-based compensations.

My current average cost per share is $13.39. I am down 61.46% but need a 159.47% gain to break even.

I believed that SOFI was a good price at $14; therefore, one must think that I should LOVE the stock price in the $5-$6 range. But admittingly this is not the case. My resolve has been shakier lately. The compromise has been to keep buying small amounts and monitor the situation. I still believe in the bull case and with the stock trading basically at its book value, its near bottom at this point so I don't see a point right now in selling given the stock is only about 3.2% of my portfolio. Consider also that SOFI is very close to profitability (currently -$0.14 per share adjusted EPS most recent quarter) and I do believe once they officially turn a profit, we could see inflows of big institutional money; I believe this happened with Amazon and Tesla but I'll have to dig into the data for proof of that.

One day I'll get around to doing a long-term writeup on SOFI. In hindsight, I should've did this before investing. But I think I got too used to throwing darts and making money the past few years if I'm being totally honest.
Last edited by Lemur on Thu May 12, 2022 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

They got crushed by the Student Loan Forgiveness/moratorium extension too.

MBBboy

Post by MBBboy »

Which doesn't really make sense, because their student loan clients aren't affected by it. They have to keep paying. It does hurt their refinancing volume, but they've been diversifying from that for a while. It's not what they depend on.

I am also a strong believer in SoFi (this is actually my industry and area of expertise lol). They crushed Q1, have been growing members, revenue / net revenue, products per member, etc and have narrowing EBITDA losses. If you look at the contribution margin from each of their businesses, you'll see that they are only not showing a profit because they are plowing the money from their profitable Lending and Galileo businesses into growing Money (all those signup bonuses aren't cheap!).

The entire point of their near term strategy (from the investor deck from around when they went public) was to grow the # of members. They spent years growing a profitable lending business and getting everything in order, and then stated they would unleash a gusher of advertising to grow Money. Their deepening and primacy are strong (users tend to grab multiple products), so the idea is that as they get a bunch of people with Money (which is all the money losing products like savings and checking), they will cross sell into lending.

They were wise to wait to do the big push until after they officially became a bank (eliminating major source of reticience among prospective members). We need more than a few months to see this play out lol.

And then of course there's the Galileo play (banking as a service), where they literally have other major fintechs as their clients. The U.S. is a very fragmented banking landscape (by far the most in the developed world, with literally thousands of banks.....And then also credit unions, non-bank lenders, etc etc).

The potential for Galileo is that most of these banks and credit unions aren't going to be able to compete with SoFi, Chase, BOA etc in product development and technology (have you SEEN the app of your local community bank or credit union? They are TERRIBLE). Well, SoFi Money looks awesome. Wouldn't it be great if ALL those banks could just white label something similar? Oh wait.....they CAN! SoFi has 0% chance of reaching everyone in the country - even the trillionaire banks combined are something on the order of half the country. So they can turn all these random banks and credit unions people still insist on using into customers, and let them basically be sales channels for Galileo.

Sorry for the super long post - this may or may not be the shortened version of a deck I made for work last year......

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

It has been a while since I actually wrote down my budget, my thoughts, and considered my future long-term plans (why ERE and all that stuff) but it is pretty simple and I am able to estimate how close I am to magical numbers...

Rent: $1200 a month or $14,400 a year.
Kid's College Fund: $100 a month or $1200 a year.
Expenses Outlay: $13,000 a year.
Total: $28,600 a year.

The expense outlay covers food, phone bill, gas, and other expenses. This has been very reliable because essentially after my paycheck we top off the expense account so that it always has $500 in it to begin the next 2 weeks ($500 * 26 paychecks a year = $13k). Any money after my paycheck that is not used to top off this account just gets invested in my non-retirement accounts. We've not in a long time had to dip into the cash savings to cover anything except for the occasional donation or short-trips or if there is a sudden expensive car repair which thankfully has not happened in a while either.

Assets required to sustain 4% SWR: $715,000.00
Assets required to sustain 3% SWR: $953,333.33

Current SWR Milestone is 5.58%. Market has been wild but it seems we're solidly above $500k but heading towards $600k.

We're in the end game of accumulation .... essentially I want us to be between that 3-4% range above before making any major life decisions. These discussions have included the following options & possibilities...:

1.) Moving overseas to my Spouse's country Philippines (exciting and scary at the same time) and purchasing a home there. My Spouse is saving her cash for this so we won't have a mortgage while the assets noted above will cover everything else - this will definitely solidify us in the 3-4% SWR with some wiggle room and help to account for education & health expenses for a family. My Son has over 7? cousins there and tons of other family (a very tight nit family). But uprooting his American way of life for a totally different one is a huge decision to think about...also have to consider educational opportunities. This will have to be a longer thought. Off the top of my head - I've always had an idealized vision I could spend a lot of time learning another language and being able to plant year around in the tropical climate. Though I do have political and climate change concerns with the Philippines long-term.

2.) Me quitting my job. Oddly enough I don't hate my work right now so never thought this would be hard thing to do. At best, I am in a state of flow by programming scripts and collaborating with colleagues while supporting a large Government agency....at worst I'm incredibly bored and/or dealing with the frustrations of slow bureaucracies. Either way my stress levels have been non-existent. Hard to walk away from something like that - it is practically a unicorn when it comes to jobs these days...

3.) With point 2...there is a small deferred retirement / pension benefit if I perform 5 years of civilian service in the Federal Government. With my prior military service, combined for the minimum 10 years of creditable service, I will be eligible for a small reduced pension at minimum retirement age (57) or a deferred retirement pension at 62. I need to figure out math to see if this is worth it. I take it if this is inflation adjusted, I may want to stick around. But I really don't know - too much rumination on "exiting modernity" and the fact that time is our most valuable resource. Is it worth it? The great question.

4.) Income Robustness - Another adjustment I will have to make is no longer earning money but spending down / managing funds for a living. Part of my motivation with keeping my programming skills up (and thus forcing myself to enter flow states at work) is so I've this "employability" factor always in my back pocket. Again ... tough decision. Moving to the Philippines is not a great place to make money; but online skills will always stay intact and to acquire American dollars. One last point I forgot to mention is I will have to plan ahead - only ~7x years of expenses are actually in non-retirement accounts. The rest are in IRAs and TSPs.

5.) There may be a two step phase where my Spouse heads overseas first and I follow. Still debating this one. Not this year but in 2023 - I've considered doing a trial run where I spend 30 days of leave. Another thought was doing a leave without pay / temporary job absence for about a year after my two-year probation period is up. I've been to the Philippines about 7 times; some as little as a few days and twice up to 30 days. I enjoyed my time for the most part but there is just a huge difference between temporarily residing in a Country vs living in one for years on end.

It is very contrarian - most people are trying to leave the Philippines not go into it lol. There are a few YouTube channels of Expats...Nothing good of note though (mostly Old westerners with Social Security / Military pension with young wives/girlfriends with no kids). I would be interested to find a young Expat family making it work so I could visually see the possibilities.
Last edited by Lemur on Fri May 20, 2022 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shaz

Post by shaz »

Do you have to buy a house if you move to the Philippines? If you did not buy, could you easily move somewhere else in a couple of years if the thrill wears off or climate change makes it too inhospitable?

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

@Shaz - Buying a house is probably not necessary but is my Spouse's preferred idea - well more of a dream I take it. I will have to discuss that one. I personally think it would be better to rent for a while but my Spouse already has a lot for the house she purchased years ago...for a mere $3k. Worth $10k now. One concern she has is expats (especially Westerners) usually end up getting there rents jacked up. Speaking of too inhospitable - we could always just move back to the U.S. My Spouse and I definitely value privacy so we're more rural types / sub-division types as opposed to cities or townhomes...so that is +1 for buying usually.

We're in very early discussions on all these life decisions :D but I'm definitely in favor of dipping my toes in these waters before plunging.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

1.) My attempt at calculating the real worth of the FERS pension for a deferred retirement if I decide to stick it out for 5 years of civilian service and add in my 6 years and 10 months of military service. The formula is simply years of service (11 years 10 months) * 1% * Average of Highest 3 salaries ($106k). So this comes out to ~$12,539.80 or $1,044.98 a month. Not bad in today's dollar if I was much older but assuming I would retire at 36 years old and not start collecting until I am 62 years old (you could technically start collecting at 57 with the tradeoff being a 5% reduction each year before 62), I would be looking at 26 years of inflation. Assuming inflation on average is 2.85% a year, the real value of my pension would be, in present day terms, $6,039.19 a year or $503.27 a month using the PV formula on Excel. This would be the equivalent of $150,979.83 in assets using 4%. So truly the choice is, am I willing to work an extra 5 years to acquire $150,979.83? To be even more specific...if I work the extra 5 years, my salary would likely be higher due to step increases + inflation increases, and the years of compounding inflation would reduce by 5 years, thus it is more like ~$190k after adjusting the formula.

Probably not worth it if I had the assets to retire today but getting to the $715k-$953k range goal + cash for home is going to take Spouse & I somewhere between 1-5 years anyhow I take it - so I guess we will just have to see how this plays out over time. Once again, philosophizing I always say these are nice problems to have anyway. I'm wondering if in this case I'm overlooking the fact that my funds will grow over the next 26 years anyway rendering the $150k/$190k further moot.

2.) Still reading The Importance of Living by Lin Yutang. Interesting context is that this book was published in 1937 with World War II not starting until 1939. There is an interesting paragraph about how the author speaks of "Big Talkers" and "Small Talkers". In short, Angels have the ability to handle all disputes with conversation. Brutes handle all arguments by force. But for Humans, we're somewhere in the middle where we can only handle disputes to a point before embarrassment leads to anger. Not coincidentally, the big talkers also have the big fists; defeating those with smaller talk and smaller fists. Lin says that in the end, it does not matter if the dispute occurs in a tea house or at the League of Nations - they're all too human. I found it interesting that he used the League of Nations as an example (not knowing that World War II was 2 years away) but possibly he had the knowledge that Germany was growing in resentment and embarrassment by Treaty of Versailles. Furthermore, some of the big talkers did not even have a seat at this table - USA, Russia and Germany were not members of the League if I recall; so, in my opinion at least, this is part of the reason that the League was weak to begin with at enforcing collective security and negotiation amongst its members because the roundtable was nothing but a squabble over small talkers .... with small fists.

3.) Even still the World, despite the Russia/Ukraine War, is heading more and more towards less war over a longer time horizon as we're becoming less savage and more angel like over-time. This may change however with future "climate change wars." and how nations handle future refugee crises; which will be in the millions. I really wanna make sure I do my research on Philippine climate models (biggest concern is rising sea levels that will push out peoples from Manila up North where we will be living) and even study a little bit of geopolitics in regards to this country - apparently they've some growing troubles with China. Last thing I want is to be stuck in a war zone in the future when we don't have to be. This might seem like some crazy prophesying I guess but I no longer have the naivety to believe that large scale wars are off the table this century....

Fun fact that almost 300,000 U.S. citizens reside in the Philippines and this number is growing as social security in USD is stronger here. Only 0.27% of the population however.

4.) I now remember that I met one Expat in the Philippines a few years ago. A Swedish guy. He was riding a motorbike and he stopped at the 7-Eleven where my Spouse and I were sitting drinking coffee. As he was walking out the store, I asked him how he was enjoying his stay. He said "oh I live here and have lived here for a few years." I asked again how he liked it. He said "meh." I laughed. In further conversations...he didn't have any family back in Sweden as all his siblings had already passed and he didn't have any kids. He was just living off his pension with his Wife who preferred to be with her family and she didn't have ties to Sweden.

5.) I managed to go a day without energy drinks or diet sodas of any kind...yes I still have this vice. I've proven to be good at establishing new habits but have still troubled with getting rid of bad ones. This time around was a bit easier as instead of going cold turkey I decided to try to strategy of replacing the habit with something else. This time I switched to tea - which is similar (it has a taste other then water and I prefer it iced and has a much smaller amount of caffeine). So far so good. And also like wth man, I can lose 25+ pounds and take cold showers daily but yet I can't drop a dumb habit? Kind of funny in a way looking at it like that so I must win this time.

chenda

Post by chenda »

I'd be interested to hear more about what you find out about the Philippines. Sounds like it's going to be a higher risk investment long term for the reasons you mention, but if you keep most of your assets in the US and can enjoy a low COL there in the meantime it might well be worth it.

white belt

Post by white belt »

Lemur wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:52 pm
5.) I managed to go a day without energy drinks or diet sodas of any kind...yes I still have this vice. I've proven to be good at establishing new habits but have still troubled with getting rid of bad ones. This time around was a bit easier as instead of going cold turkey I decided to try to strategy of replacing the habit with something else. This time I switched to tea - which is similar (it has a taste other then water and I prefer it iced and has a much smaller amount of caffeine). So far so good. And also like wth man, I can lose 25+ pounds and take cold showers daily but yet I can't drop a dumb habit? Kind of funny in a way looking at it like that so I must win this time.
Well caffeine is a well-documented appetite suppressant, so they might be related.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

chenda wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 10:20 am
I'd be interested to hear more about what you find out about the Philippines. Sounds like it's going to be a higher risk investment long term for the reasons you mention, but if you keep most of your assets in the US and can enjoy a low COL there in the meantime it might well be worth it.
@Chenda

I think it is worth it for sure short-term. Long-term is a different question though. When I get the time, I'd like to put resources together to answer a few questions such as projected sea level rise in the next 60 years or so (many coastal cites such as Roxas and Manila will be under threat of permanent flood), projected temperatures, estimated population growth but also how much of this population will be displaced from the coastal cities (and the migrating people will have obviously begin to occupy other areas), geopolitics to include how the current administration will handle these climate changes but also dealing with foreign adversaries, etc. The Philippines is also tilting more Nationalistic / Authoritarian so even how they treat foreigners is something to think about. From a personal standpoint, I always felt safe and welcomed every time I traveled to the Philippines in the provincial areas. Most Filipinos are impressed that a foreigner would even know just a few words of Tagalog (national language) or one of the many provincial languages because most don't even bother trying as many Filipinos know at least a little bit of English due to media and job prospects. Learning the language at a base conversational level would go far in being part of the clan in a way. I also have to look at visa requirements...a lot to think about and map out.

@White Belt

Yes - I think so too. The caloric deficit has been deliberate (I've dropped from 195lbs to 172lbs since December 26) but I could see how my caffeine intake increased overtime to deal with the feelings of hunger & low energy. My energy drink habit began when I was in the military working construction...Rip-Its were free so I think I connected productivity and being alert/wake with my caffeine intake.

Only 2 days lol but so far cheap tea and no sodas has already been effective...the caffeine in tea is minimal and it is just the right amount to erase headaches that are common with caffeine withdrawal. Also already feeling my sleep better and a more steadier focus. So good things - always looking to optimizing my health and my wallet...

white belt

Post by white belt »

A quick Google search indicates that the Philippines is already one of the most vulnerable countries to natural disasters in the world. Earthquakes and typhoons are both common. These natural disasters are likely to become more frequent and severe. I think that makes things much harder to deal with than slow and steady things like temperature and/or sea level rise. There are ways to mitigate risk with typhoon and earthquake resistant construction, living in areas not prone to flooding, leaving the country during the typhoon season, etc but they will require effort and resources.

You also have to consider the nth order effects of disasters on local politics and infrastructure. Consider all the services you might have to provide if/when collapse occurs. I’m talking security, water, electricity, etc. I’m sure there are expat communities with privatized security and infrastructure that are attempting to insulate themselves from such risks in the country.

It might still be worth it if instilling a strong Filipino identity in your child is important to you and your wife. Like anything else, there are risks and there are mitigations.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Interesting Read

Ran Prieur - Beyond Civilized and Primitive
https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library ... -primitive

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

May 31, 2022

Net-worth:
$533k (Up $20k)

Some market recovery since the prior month. Still selling covered calls on individual stock positions and using premium money to buy more SOFI. Saving cash as well to buy back military credit for the FERS pension system. Discovered in an earlier post I actually have to put in 5 years civilian time to qualify for any sort of pension starting at age 57 (a reduced pension) or 62 for the full pension. I decided it was worth it enough* to go ahead and invest (to count military service toward the 10 year pension requirement, you must deposit an amount determined by variables such as salary earned multiple by whatever percentages etc..). I will need to deposit roughly $5,200 dollars. This was for several reasons. 1.) The drawback of choosing not to invest means that the amount I will need to deposit will accumulate interest. 2.) I determined it is more likely than not I will be working about 5 more years. By the end of that time, we should be safely in the 3-4% range to make major life decisions. 3.) I wish to continue making hay while the sun shines...it doesn't get much better than a six figure government job that is not driving me crazy and I find the work challenging enough for my programming skills 4.) I will also need more time to figure out what I am retiring too. This $5.2k can also be recovered should I leave before 5 years time but I've read it is a PITA to get it back. Should I count down now? 4 years, 10 months, and 1 day from now Lemur will quit full-time work? I would be 36 years old and this journal would be about 9 years old at that time. We will see....We can never know what life will truly throw at us.

Physical Health / Diet: Down from 175.2lbs to 171.0 lbs. End goal is 165 pounds. I hit my 10k step walking goal each day in May except 1 day. I've lost 24lbs since this diet started. I'm lean as is - maybe 11-12% bodyfat or so if I had to guess. I like seeing my abs....its kinda cool 8-) but I can only see them when flexed and in the morning so I'm imagining when I'm down to 165 I can walk around with them. The only real drawback of being lean / dieted down is the constant feeling of hunger...it can be mitigated but it never truly goes away.

Mental Health: Good. 2022 has just been great for me ever since I started my new job. My Spouse is doing a bit better too.

Job: Easy as the responsibilities I've simply don't compare to my last job. I've learned to do trainings when I don't have anything to do. It kills the time and keeps me in a flow state. Trying to be more proactive with my skillset as opposed to reactive.

Gardening: I've had several salads this year from the garden; the first time we've successfully grown greens and harvested. Watermelons, tomatoes, and peppers are coming up now. I did not plant any squash this year.

Reading / Other: Still reading the "The Importance of Living" by Lin Yutang. I've listened to some interviews on Hermitix podcast. James Ellis is an interesting person. My brother's family is looking to move to Pennsylvania in June which would be nice...We don't quarrel too much lately. Our relationship has mostly been amicable in the past month but I think its better for everyone if they can get on their feet somewhere.

Goals: Nothing really....Oh I've only had 1 energy drink in the past...week or so. Great progress on that front. I replaced the habit with a tea in the morning - much cheaper and I cut off all caffeine by 12pm. Its nice to get better quality sleep. I even find myself a little bit more productive at work - my energy levels are more stable. I'm thinking one a week would be a good compromise instead of a daily habit.

shaz

Post by shaz »

It's good to hear the new job is working out so well.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

After picking some of the vegetables in my garden, my brother, son, and I went on a long walk. My son would not stop talking and picking random rocks and pine cones. Ah, is this not happiness?

I went to a local farm today also…just to look around but did leave with some fresh strawberry vinaigrette to use in a salad later. Ah, is this not happiness?

I also had an intense tennis match with a good friend who is leaving for Florida in a month. I don’t know when he will be back. Our match lasted 3 hours and we both had several comebacks but he ultimately took the victory. I am happy for him - I was playing really well today. I’m completely exhausted. Ah, is this not happiness?

https://artoflivingguide.org/happiness/ ... py-moments

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

My protocol for my normal homemade yogurt is to mix 1 cup of whole milk with a half a cup of previous yogurt batch in an instant pot and click the yogurt button. Let sit overnight for 8 hours. Retrieve in morning and store in the fridge. I've been doing this for months now. I had a failed batch so what I did was add another 1/4 cup of yogurt and try incubating again for another 8 hours. No luck.

The homemade yogurt failed me this week. Not totally sure why but I recall previously I would just toss it out at this point but I thought about not wasting things so I started googling what I can do with it..... I now vaguely recalled that you can make a ricotta cheese with it. So this is a first for me.

So I took the failed batch, set to boil, and added 1/4 cup of vinegar (I did not have lemon juice but figured any acid could work). I did not add salt - didn't feel that was necessary. The internet said let that sit for 2 hours for a half gallon so I let sit for 4 hours since I had one gallon.

I don't own cheesecloth so just used paper towels. I poured a cup at a time into a strainer to not break the paper towels. I figured whatever cheese particles I add would be thicker then the paper towels so that could work.

Alas...I made a kilogram of ricotta cheese. So that is a first. Yogurt and berries is my go to breakfast each morning...so for a while it will have to be egg sandwich with ricotta. I suppose I can play around with this ingredient and figure out what else I can use it for.

Ironically concerning wasting things, I did toss out the whey - I did not know what to do with it. But duh a quick google shows there was some things I could've done. https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/201 ... -whey.html So I'll take point on this next time :) .

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Finished "The Importance of Living" by Lin Yutang. But only because my library had a deadline to turn in the book. So there I was plowing through 300 pages in 2 days and reading to 2am on two occasions lol. Why is it that I can only concentrate and read long-term when I'm faced with a deadline? Perhaps I should just use this to my advantage. Ironically as I read the chapter "On Reading" where Lin states that this particular hobby should not feel like an obligation. :lol:

It is a good book. I will say though that Lin is certainly a product of his time. And being that the book was written in 1937 - the final paragraphs are eerie about what is too come after Lin speaks about the human condition and the current conditions of Europe .... (WWII would begin 2 years later).

Chemical Composition of a human:

Oxygen - 65%
Carbon - 18%
Hydrogen - 10%
Nitrogen - 3%
Calcium - 1.4%
Phosphorus - 1.1%
Potassium - 1%
And other trace elements.

A statistically significant portion of the trace elements in my body is ricotta cheese. :)