Suggestions for MMGs

Home of groups, cadres, circles, teams, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Suggestions for MMGs

Post by jacob »

Some ideas...
  • Language practice groups
  • Buy nothing year (Go through the process)
  • Minimalists challenge 1-2-3-4....-30 things (This would probably become a 30 week challenge.)
  • 21 day challenge (This would probably become a 21 week challenge.)
  • WL+1 (leveling up) group
  • Pulling the plug/pre-retirement support
  • The Knitters (sweaters, ... ). Make progress on your many projects ...
  • Repair cafe
  • Writer's guild. Could be NanoWriMo? Could be "live journaling" ala what "The Stoa" does.
Starting one requires initiative + guidelines + and people.

RoamingFrancis

Re: Suggestions for MMGs

Post by RoamingFrancis »

Do you have any tools for accurately diagnosing one's Wheaton Level, beyond just reading the threads and wiki? I would be interested in doing a Level Up group, but may be overestimating my current level. I think Kegan warns against diagnosing one's level of psychological development for similar reasons.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

RoamingFrancis wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:33 pm
Do you have any tools for accurately diagnosing one's Wheaton Level, beyond just reading the threads and wiki? I would be interested in doing a Level Up group, but may be overestimating my current level.
I think the most important thing about such a group is not what the WL is per se but that it's similar in between the group members. There's likely a natural selection effect simply from which journals on actively follows/comments on although the details can differ. Using that filter, the only remaining criteria is basically whether people are willing to "level up" or whether they're happy where they are.

FWIW, I don't think it's a good strategy to overthink these MMGs. This is not like preparing a job application through the needle eye at google or any other highly selective position with a specific set of requirements.

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

I'd be down for a writer's guild if there's interest from others. I've written for 6+ years now, so I can contribute to it.

ETA: Various book clubs could be good too. I've been wanting to read through classics in the Western canon for awhile now if anyone else here is interested in that.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

Discussion on how to develop social capital. How to offer it, how to procure it, what can be offered or procured in the first place. Explicitly not about your number of friends or followers on social media.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I'd join one on social capital, levelling up wheaton levels and/or book club .

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

I'm taking the liberty to copy this in. Many good suggestions here.
grundomatic wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:47 pm
I'm potentially interested in joining a MMG. I'd probably be most interested in a +1 WL group for all the ~5s trying to jump that moat to 6, though I'd be open to other focuses, maybe something about personality types--an ERE support group for all the Idealists trying to live amongst you Rationals? A study group for all the development/spiral dynamics stuff coming up around here? I'd mostly be looking for moral support--honestly the hardest thing about all this is there is nobody IRL to talk to about this stuff.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Finding a job After 8 years of retirement.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

AnalyticalEngine wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:08 am
ETA: Various book clubs could be good too. I've been wanting to read through classics in the Western canon for awhile now if anyone else here is interested in that.
I'm about 8 months in to a great books program; largely tracking Adler's progression/list. Problem with doing such a group in a forum like ERE is that the world probably can be divided in to two camps: relativists and, I guess, absolutists--i.e., the Sophists vs. Socrates. If you believe that truth is relative, it's a waste of everyone's time for you to participate in a great books program with folks who believe there is a capital "T" Truth; and vice versa. Relativists reading the great books with other relativists would probably be a good exercise; though, if they're paying attention, I suspect the group would discover they aren't relativists after all. Probably also all become small "o" orthodox Christians as well. 'Tis inevitable: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrate ... es_Program

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

There used to be a book club on the ERE forum. See,
https://wiki.earlyretirementextreme.com ... _Book_Club

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Some more ideas...
  • Investment club
  • Adventure/travel club (maybe people can get together to do The Great Loop, Hike the AT, ...)
  • Local community
  • Great Baking challenge
  • Visitors program, see viewtopic.php?t=11627

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

A practical question - are there international MMGs? I keep wondering how to manage the time zone differences. When I was in Boston it was quite bothersome to find convenient times for videochats with my husband and daughter back in Germany. Which may have been more complicated due to DDs bedtimes, but I'm not sure, it's been a while.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

horsewoman wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:10 pm
A practical question - are there international MMGs?
Yes. There are currently 3 MMGs bridging the American longitudes (morning/late afternoon) and European/African longitudes (late afternoon/midnight). I'm not aware of any efforts yet trying to bridge all three 8-hour segments to include the ASEA time zones as well.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

horsewoman wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:10 pm
A practical question - are there international MMGs? I keep wondering how to manage the time zone differences.
After committing to the AxelHeyst MMG he told me great, we meet twice a month on Sunday mornings at 6am your time. I immediately wondered what I was getting myself into :lol:

Turns out it wasn't too bad and I'm actually really productive on those days.

I'm on the West Coast, USA and we have another member in the Central European Time zone. Right now we have members in four different countries and five different time zones now that @AxelHeyst is vagabonding. The early morning sessions weren't actually a result of those time differences, but just different work schedules. Europe is only 8-9 hours ahead so it shouldn't be too tricky setting these up. The key is making sure the calendar invites are up-to-date so Google can take care of the logistics.

Having a bunch of members or aren't working or are SemiERE makes things easier as well :D

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Western Red Cedar wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:37 pm
Having a bunch of members or aren't working or are SemiERE makes things easier as well :D
Indeed! :lol:

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

jacob wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:02 pm
Some more ideas...
I've been in an online great books program for about a year (called onlinegreatbooks.com, which as a trademark lawyer I appreciate). It's got a pretty robust Slack channel/community and many "side" seminars (which folks do in addition to their primary "great books" seminar). Many of those side seminars are book related, but many aren't. Because it might provide some fodder for additional ideas for ERE MMGs, here is a selection of some of those side seminars/groups that might also work well for this ERE community:

- learning Greek
- learning Latin
- homesteading self sufficiency
- strength
- education (i.e., homeschooling)
- Tolkien and CS Lewis (cuz, they're awesome)
- Russian Lit (they are currently reading Brothers Karamazov)
- Music (discussion and also a platform for member generated stuff)
- History (about to start a 2-year project of reading all 3 volumes of Foote's Civil War)
- poetry (discussion and also a platform for member generated stuff; might I add I started one of those here a while back viewtopic.php?p=229159#p229159)
- knitting
- Euclid
-Nietszche
- Cinema discussion
- calculus
- chess (strategy discussion and book club with periodic tournaments)
- coding
- Americans (reads through various foundational and related documents/books/essays)
- art (discussion and also a platform for member generated stuff)
- mythology
- shopcraft (for "actual content creators")

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Hristo, that's neat, I really like the idea of MMGs giving occasional "open" seminars on specialty topics. Filing that one away...

liberty

Post by liberty »

• In-retirement support, for those who are FI and want ideas and support on what to do now

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Learning new knots, practicing existing ones, or reminding each other before we forget.

This could be a thing ... meetings interspersed with random banter. Basically an excuse to socialize. Also it seems ideal for a zoom activity(?)

I suggest a slow pace: Monthly meetings, members take turns introducing a new knot or a new technique. One knot/technique per meeting. No pressure. Tons of knots to learn so easy to prepare when it's your turn.

Anyone interested?

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

I am knot interested! ;). Mountaineering/climbing and fishing knot knowledge from me. Happy to teach what I know and sketchnote the knot of the month for the forum.