Turmeric

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Sclass

Re: Turmeric

Post by Sclass »

Thanks Kevin. I'll look into that when I venture up there. I hear Downey has an India town.

I found a great little place in Lake Forest called Rassoi at the 5 and El Toro. Great curry buffet with lotsa turmeric. Garlic naan. Heaven.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Ego wrote:How do you get turmeric into your body?
I started taking Turmeric in pill form this week to see if it has any effect on my migraines.

I will post the results.

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

We put turmeric in rice and quinoa. It provides a nice color and turmeric is supposed to protect against Alzheimer's. But a teaspoon a day? Requires large quantities of curry intake. I can't think of any other dishes to add that much per day per person. A solution would be a daily capsule with turmeric and just take as a medication.

BTW, as prevention for migraines, try 400 mg of Magnesium, 400 mg of vitamin B2 (NOT B12) and melatonin 4 mg a day. Should be taken at night. All are OTC, so feel free to experiment with combinations. It relieves about 90% of the migraines I used to get. The occasional ones I still get are much milder. All 3 have been shown to reduce migraines.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Apply turmeric on cuts and wounds to hasten blood clotting and prevent blood loss.

It also helps prevent the cut from getting septic or you getting an infection from the wound due to toxic/anti-bacterial properties.

US scientists got patents which were revoked for 'discovering' this property of turmeric to heal wounds by topical application.
CSIR asks USPTO to re-examine turmeric patent to two American scientists
Thursday, August 15, 1996

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

I've been adding Tumeric to my food all the time recently mainly because it doesn't really have a strong taste.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

steveo73 wrote:I've been adding Tumeric to my food all the time recently mainly because it doesn't really have a strong taste.
+1

workathome

Post by workathome »

One of my favorite teas is ginger and tumeric. I add lemon and honey.

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

My daughter claimed it would help arthritis. I took a teaspoon a day in a glass of water for a few months and could not notice any change in my stiff back, so I quit taking it. The taste wasn't terrible. I noticed no changes while taking it.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric, which only has a small percent of curcumin. A concentrated supplement might be helpful in determining if it works.

Also, turmeric/curcumin is difficult for our bodies to absorb. Piperine (from black pepper) is supposed to help the absorption. Plus, certain formulations of curcumin are supposed to be better absorbed. This one being one:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Ego

Post by Ego »

Chad wrote:Curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric, which only has a small percent of curcumin. A concentrated supplement might be helpful in determining if it works.
My favorite Doctor has an opinion on this.....
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/turmeri ... -vs-pills/

Chad

Post by Chad »

@Ego
Thanks for the link. He always brings up interesting points, but why is he the only one bringing these up? I listen and read a lot of Ph.d researchers who challenge conventional wisdom and none of them ever bring this stuff up. I probably need to look into the studies he cites before I give him the benefit of the doubt.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

Ego wrote:
Chad wrote:Curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric, which only has a small percent of curcumin. A concentrated supplement might be helpful in determining if it works.
My favorite Doctor has an opinion on this.....
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/turmeri ... -vs-pills/
My favourite doctor as well. As per Chad's point I do think that he exaggerates some of the negative effects of meat consumption or maybe better put he doesn't state where the line is. For instance I cooked a tomato pasta with sardines and cannellini beans the other day. The sardines have a lot of good stuff in them such as omega 3's. They probably also have some bad stuff such as mercury. I'm sure that there is a line where my body gets rid of the bad stuff easily but utilises the good stuff as well.

On the whole though I reckon Dr Gregor basically comes up with the best nutritional advice.

bryan

Post by bryan »

C40 wrote:I drink this tea, sometimes daily:
http://www.rishi-tea.com/product/turmer ... ree-herbal

A teaspoon? Shit - that is a LOT!
workathome wrote:One of my favorite teas is ginger and tumeric. I add lemon and honey.
I'll second this. GF has made tumeric/ginger tea (half-teaspoon of tumeric) a few times and it's good. I prefer the "latte" version where you use coconut milk and dairy milk instead of water (true of many teas honestly.. see my milk appreciation thread). Possible to add more spices like pepper/cinnamon, dash of salt.

workathome

Post by workathome »

Thanks for posting the Rishi tea link, I should try theres.

workathome

Post by workathome »

That video is great too, I've never seen that website.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Just in case someone wanted to know, rishi means sage/saint and Natraj is the lord of the performing arts who specializes mainly in dance.

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

jacob wrote:A teaspoon would be rather "bitter".
The prevalent taste of turmeric is called astringent.

Astringent taste is also abundant in unripe bananas, red wine and walnuts and may be described as a rough "sandpapery" or dry sensation in the mouth.

https://www.banyanbotanicals.com/info/a ... ent-taste/

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Its also used in face wash creams.

Reminds me of the catch jingles of a commercial 'Vicco turmeric, nahi cosmetic
Vicco turmeric Ayurvedic cream
Cream muhaso ko jad se nikale
Tvacha ke ____ ____ ____ __
Vicco turmeric Ayurvedic cream'

Blank is for the rhyming words I don't remember.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

I like the taste, can easily add a teaspoon to my morning porridge.

I am doing prep for an interview re an internship in bioinformatics, and just reading an article about curcumin and colorectal cancer. Do add black pepper, like @ego does. Piperine has been shown to increase bioavailability of curcumin 20-fold in human clinical trials. They used 20mg of piperine which equals 0.4g of pepper according to a quick search in the internet. I am gonna try my porridge with pepper tomorrow, just learned DW has already started adding some a while back and it tastes nice.

ETA: porridge it works great with black pepper.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

A study examined blood of pregnant women in Bangladesh for lead isotopes. They found that the main source of lead exposure was a result of turmeric consumption. Turmeric itself accumulated lead from the soil and there is also lead in some powders that people add to turmeric to give it its stereotypical color.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acs.est.9b00744
Unlike food from Pb-soldered cans and geophagy, turmeric could be a primary Pb exposure pathway based on Pb concentrations and consumption patterns. Our results indicate that turmeric Pb concentrations were as high as 1151 μg/g (Table 2). Eight of 28 market turmeric samples contained Pb above the 2.5 μg/g Government of Bangladesh limit for Pb in turmeric (Table S6). Using the simplified bioaccessibility extraction test, prior studies reported that the bioaccessible fraction of Pb in turmeric varied from 42.9 to 70% of total Pb. (12,39) Given that turmeric is used in dishes containing tamarind and other acidic ingredients, cooking could further increase the bioaccessibility of the Pb. (40) Other researchers hypothesized that PbCrO4 is added to turmeric to enhance its color or weight, but they did not test any turmeric processing powders to assess molar Pb/Cr ratios or Pb speciation. (12) We found that the yellow pigment powders used in turmeric processing contained 6–10% Pb by weight (61 870–101 300 μg/g Pb). Both pigment and turmeric samples also contained elevated chromium (Cr) concentrations, with average Pb/Cr molar ratios of 1.3 ± 0.06 (2 SD) and 1.1 ± 0.8 (2 SD), respectively. X-ray diffraction analyses indicated that all three pigment samples contained lead chromate (PbCrO4, 10–15%), that two of the pigments also contained lead carbonate (PbCO3, 2–3%), and that one also contained lead sulfate (PbSO4, 3%). Because PbCO3 and PbSO4 have a greater bioaccessibility than PbCrO4, our results support the parallel findings of high turmeric bioaccessibility reported in other studies. (12,39,41)

Respondents described turmeric, primarily purchased as a loose powder, as one of three essential spices consumed daily, alongside chili powder and cumin. Women reported adding turmeric in heaping spoonfuls to curries and other dishes for at least one meal per day. Although we did not investigate the amount of turmeric being consumed, a study conducted in India reported consumption rates of 25 g of turmeric per person per month. (42) Given the variability in turmeric Pb concentrations, the μg of Pb ingested from turmeric is likely to vary most according to the distribution of turmeric adulterated with pigment. Regardless, because it is consumed daily, turmeric Pb is the most likely contributor among these sources—solder, geophagy, and turmeric—to the BLLs of the majority of women.
This is not just a problem for those in Bangladesh. A study from 2008-2017 found that 50% of spices observed in NYC had detectable lead.
https://journals.lww.com/jphmp/fulltext ... 11.aspx#T1

ETA: Table 3 in the second study suggests that certain countries (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Morocco) are far worse than others for sourcing turmeric. Getting turmeric from US sources appears to be well below the minimum lead consumption amount.